Can I visit any resort without a dining reservation or having a QS mobile order?

Belle5

DIS Veteran
Since the mid-1990's up until the Covid pandemic we always went resort hopping and usually had a meal or snack wherever we visited. After Covid we have vacationed once at Disneyland and twice at WDW. The last two times we were at WDW (if driving our own vehicle...not visiting by bus, boat, or skyliner) we had to mobile order SOMETHING from the resort QS in order to visit that resort. We couldn't get past the guard at the gate of the resorts without proving we were picking food up or we had a TS ADR.

I believe it depends on the resort. Ones with quicker access to the parks seem to be more strict ie monorail, BC and RIV.

We have visited at WL, AKL and Ft Wilderness with no ADR or mobile orders without issues.

We also were able to park at the Poly to grab a Dole Whip on our last trip before heading back to OKW. I’m sure we were just lucky there but they did let us in. Haven’t tried it again though.

Arriving by car seemed to be the problem during our last two trips. WL was on of the places where we had to place a mobile order just to be allowed through the gate. I don't think we've ever NOT stopped at Roaring Forks for something if we didn't have an ADR for AP or WC. We usually plan on getting something if we visit a resort but would rather not do so via mobile order. FWIW we have stayed at WL and WLV in the past and just enjoy revisiting memories and favorite areas of the resort.

Sorry to hear that. We have always driven our car when visiting the resorts with the exception of to/from BC and RIV.

I was hoping to stop by Geyser Pointe on our next trip and don’t want to mobile order there.

hoping to stop by Geyser Pointe on our next trip and don’t want to mobile order there.
I understood by your response that you have been more recently than me (last visit was almost 2 years ago) and you had no problem visiting resorts by car without using mobile order at the QS. Is that correct?

Yes that is correct. We were able to visit the lodges, FT wilderness and Poly by car on our trip in August without mobile orders or an ADR.

I visit resorts ALL the time without reservations. I simply drive to the gate, hand the guard my magic band and simply say, "I'm a DVC and Pixie pass holder, I would like to visit the gift shop and take a look around". I have never been turned down using this strategy.

RIV stopped us in September and almost didn't let us in by car even though I had a pending mobile order. They finally did but with the understanding that you can stay here only 10 minutes. They made us park up front so they could monitor our car. I would not try this again. I have had no issue at other resorts.

It depends on the resort and also the guard at the gate. Some resorts have official policies regarding mobile order - for example, see screenshot below from this morning that mobile ordering at Contempo Cafe is only for Contemporary guests. I don’t think the app is ‘smart’ enough to stop you if you click past the warning but a guard could enforce it at the gate. Your safest bet is to use Disney transportation. IMG_4489.jpeg

LOTS of older threads on the parking topic. Disney has gotten wise to those trying to 'game' the parking fees by parking for free at a resort and then walking to a nearby theme park. Which resort, proximity to a park and time of day makes a difference. Others also found a way around it by having a mobile order to get them access to the property then cancelling the order.

People try to come up with all sorts of clever ways to park for free and if Disney didn't try to manage that, those lots wouldn't have any space left for those actually staying at that resort.

Last edited:
Best thing to guarantee access is to use Disney transportation. Most monorail, Skyliner, and Crescent Lake resorts are now fairly difficult to park at for the reasons stated above. A lot of the time, even a QS mobile order won't get you past the gate, they will have you cancel the order. Now will it happen every time? Most likely no, but the guard can deny you access without an ADR.

Best thing to guarantee access is to use Disney transportation. Most monorail, Skyliner, and Crescent Lake resorts are now fairly difficult to park at for the reasons stated above. A lot of the time, even a QS mobile order won't get you past the gate, they will have you cancel the order. Now will it happen every time? Most likely no, but the guard can deny you access without an ADR.
Agreed. Even at AKL, there's a sign at the guard station entering the resort stating 'no entry without a room or dining reservation'. We noticed it last year for the first time on a Dec, 2022 trip. It was still there Dec, 2023. But, as others have said, some guards might find it OK to let you through at certain times for shopping or mobile order or counter service. But if you drive into a resort without a reservation, you should be prepared to be denied the option to park. One trip, we did want to pick something up at a store at CR, but were told no. When we asked if we could valet park, they let us through - cost us the valet fee, but I guess since we weren't taking up a regular guest parking space, it was ok. Just a potential option - but an expensive one!

Agreed. Even at AKL, there's a sign at the guard station entering the resort stating 'no entry without a room or dining reservation'. We noticed it last year for the first time on a Dec, 2022 trip. It was still there Dec, 2023. But, as others have said, some guards might find it OK to let you through at certain times for shopping or mobile order or counter service. But if you drive into a resort without a reservation, you should be prepared to be denied the option to park. One trip, we did want to pick something up at a store at CR, but were told no. When we asked if we could valet park, they let us through - cost us the valet fee, but I guess since we weren't taking up a regular guest parking space, it was ok. Just a potential option - but an expensive one!
This is actually a great idea and one I certainly would not have thought of if I had been turned away.

When we don't drive the Minnie Van averages about $40-$50 for us so this would actually be about the same if not cheaper. Plus you would not have time wasted by having to drive somewhere else to park.

This is actually a great idea and one I certainly would not have thought of if I had been turned away.

When we don't drive the Minnie Van averages about $40-$50 for us so this would actually be about the same if not cheaper. Plus you would not have time wasted by having to drive somewhere else to park.
Absolutely. I think valet might be $33+ tax these days.... This might be my first great idea of 2024! Thanks!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter