Can reservations be cancelled day of?

3smithboys

DIS Veteran
We made 4 adr’s for our summer trip. I know we had to put down a CC to hold the reservation in case of a no show. If we call the day of to cancel will we be charged? My son has Crohn’s and will sometimes not feel well. This is not likely, I was just wondering.

You must cancel 24 hours in advance to not be charged. There is a work around though. If you need to cancel the day of, modify your reservation (instead of canceling) for a day and time in the future (at least 24 hours out). Once you have modified it, you can cancel without being charged.

Some thoughts:
If you have a contagious disease and/or vomiting/diarrhea that you are not sure whether it is contagious, they should allow you to cancel so that you do not spread that to other guests.
If only part of your party can attend, they will not charge you for any missing people.
If you want, you can wait until the day before to assess the current situation, then cancel without any charges.
If you feel like you can't plan ahead, you can just show up the day of and ask if you can get seated/get a reservation.

Thanks everyone! I will keep this information in my back pocket and hopefully won’t need to use it. I just thought of it tonight because he wasn’t feeling too well, and we just made our adr’s this weekend.

I had booked a same day reservation for Tepan Edo, but then like 5 minutes later I changed my mind. The MDE app wouldn't let me cancel, but it would let me modify, I changed it to Feb when I was going to be there next month with no problem. But then I got hungry, so I changed it back to the same day and went.

I'm pretty sure that if you call the dining line with any reasonable explanation, they'll give you a pass on the fee. We did it once because of a Disney transportation issue that messed up our schedule.

I'm also pretty certain that if you have the courtesy to check in at the podium instead of just being a no show, they'll let you off for just about any reason. Once we walked up to a dinner reservation and explained that we had eaten too much lunch and were too full to eat dinner. They said no problem and were happy to give the table to someone else. :)

We have had to cancel a few times over the years due to multiple different reasons.
I've called wdw-dine, explained why and never had an issue cancelling and never been charged.

On our last trip, I went to the front desk at our hotel (Yacht Club) and explained that my son was not feeling well. They cancelled our reservation for that evening with no penalty or charge.

We got heat exhaustion and cancelled our cape may cafe buffet at guest services a couple of hours before without charge. They don't want you being ill in their restaurant lol

In November I called to cancel Tiffins on the same day. I was honest when the CM asked me why and I said we had decided to go to Ale and Compass instead. She gave me a bit of a lecture about how she could charge me the fee but she would waive it on this occasion. I think the fee is mostly to deter people from making reservations and then just simply not showing up without cancelling or calling.

Include me in the groups of people who have had to cancel day of and was not charged. Honestly, I think if you communicate with them they are happy to cancel for you. It is going to be the rudeness of just not showing up that will tack on that fee. Disney wants you to come back and sticking you with a fee when your loved one is ill is not a very savvy way to do things.

You must cancel 24 hours in advance to not be charged. There is a work around though. If you need to cancel the day of, modify your reservation (instead of canceling) for a day and time in the future (at least 24 hours out). Once you have modified it, you can cancel without being charged.

How did this never occur to me. Freaking brilliant tip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter