• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can someone explain Rope Drop?

MammaMoe48

DIS Veteran
I know there's probably a post on here already about this but I can't find anything.

Anyhow, I hear a lot about rope drop and getting there early so I was wondering exactly when they do it. I recall reading something about RD happening about 30 minutes before official park opening.

The magic kingdom rope drop usually starts 10 minutes before the park opens. They do a show on the train station and set off fireworks and then everyone is allowed into the parks. I would suggest getting to the MK rope drop 30-45 minutes before park open because it gets very crowded and if you have little ones you want to make sure they can see the show! You go through bag check and enter the park beforehand and wait in front of the train station.

For the other parks everyone just lines up at the park entrance until park open time. You can go through bag check but can't enter the park.

For all the parks, cast members will be at the entrance to each "land" holding ropes or standing in lines to prevent everyone from running to specific rides. The cast members will guide the group through the land all together to make for a safer experience.

Getting to the park for rope drop means being there for when the park opens and the "rope drops".

Magic Kingdom has a welcome show, which happens about 15-20 mins before official park open. The other 3 parks do not have a welcome show. Sometimes the parks do open a few minutes before scheduled time. That's why it's recommended to be at the turnstiles early.

In June at Epcot for a 9am scheduled opening were got to the main gates by 820am, soon after they opened and allowed the crowd into the center part of the park, CMs held us there until about 845am, so we actually entered TT just before 9am (same happened for group heading to Soarin). So always keep in mind that without any advance notice, any of the parks can start to admit guests in before scheduled opening, often holding in center of the park (end of various pathways off hub in MK) which gets you head start on those arriving for the actual regular opening time.

It's mostly just gravity.
:)

I get that. That's funny.

Just to add: "rope drop" on these boards often just means getting to the parks early.
It can mean getting there BEFORE opening to see the "show" or getting there BEFORE opening to scurry to that ONE key attraction (TSM, SDMT, FEA) to ride "standby" before the line builds. But often "rope drop" just refers to getting to the parks early in the morning when the parks are less-crowded, to get more done in less time.
When we "rope drop", we arrive right around park opening (not 30-45 minutes before) and walk in behind the massive crowd. That still gets us into the park ~10 minutes after opening and gives us 2-3 hours before park starts to get crowded.

also one good thing is that since most people do not like to wake up early on vacation the first 60-90 or o minute the park is open the lines can be walk on ( there are a few that will have a 30 minute line a few minutes after rope drop but if you would like to get a lot done then go early

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter