• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can teenager “rent” a cabana on castaway?

kim_o

Mouseketeer
I have a large family group of 26 going on a cruise. Our booking window is coming up soon and I’m trying to plan our cabana rentals. We have some concierge guests and non concierge guests. I was thinking of assigning my older kids (concierge) to the cabana next to me with the grand parents (non-concierge). So, since the adults in that grouping are non-concierge and wouldn’t be able to book the cabana as early, can the 15 year old “book” the cabana?

I don’t think non-concierge guests can even be on that side of Castaway.

Back in November, Concierge hosts were kicking people out of the concierge side of the water. You have to have a wristband.

They would have a wristband, as I would add them as guests in the cabana. It’s just the booking part. While I expect everyone will inter mingle and it’s not assigned seating where you can’t ever move from your spot, I was trying to avoid family politics with the initial “why did you put me here and not here” kind of stuff.

I’ve got it all figured out now where I won’t need my kid to rent a cabana.

Though, for curiosity’s sake, is there a minimum age requirement to rent a family beach cabana?

Back in November, Concierge hosts were kicking people out of the concierge side of the water. You have to have a wristband.

There is no concierge side of Castaway Cay.

The cabanas are available to book by ANYONE. However, it due to limited supply, it is often difficult - but not impossible - for non-concierge or Platinum guests to actually be able to book one.

However, we have successfully booked a cabana multiple times. including the first time we ever sailed with Disney. We have never sailed concierge. Instead, we check the port activities booking page often to see if a cabana is available and if/when one becomes available we book it. As an example, on our first cruise, one became available 20 days out from our cruise.

Guests who have booked a cabana are issued a green wristband which indicates they have a cabana booked and are allowed to be in the cabana area. On the family beach, the cabana area, including beach, is not open to non-cabana guests.

SW

I’ve got it all figured out now where I won’t need my kid to rent a cabana.

Though, for curiosity’s sake, is there a minimum age requirement to rent a family beach cabana?

I just did a quick search on the DCL site and couldn't find anything. I would guess that 18 yrs old would be the minimum age.

Shore side concierge would take care of your cabana rental so talk to them , but you will need more then one concierge room to get a second cabana i would think.
chris

We are sailing concierge for the first time in August. It doesn't really work like the regular booking system. You should get an email close to your booking window with instructions for submitting the request.

The email says "If you are traveling with other Guests, we can assist up to 4 additional staterooms, when reserving shared cruise activities or Port Adventures. If planning shared activities with non-concierge staterooms, all reservations must be paid in full at time of request. Shared activities must include a Guest from your Concierge stateroom. Guests sailing in non-concierge staterooms do not have access to concierge services or amenities on board. "

It doesn't say an adult guest, just that the shared activity must include a guest from your room, so it sounds like multiple cabanas would be allowed. However, 26 is a lot of people so I guess that raises the question of whether this would exceed the 4 additional stateroom limit.

Shore side concierge would take care of your cabana rental so talk to them , but you will need more then one concierge room to get a second cabana i would think.
That was NOT true the one time we sailed in concierge. My wife, son and I were in the Walt suite for my wife's 60th birthday. As a surprise to her, I also booked non-concierge rooms for our 3 daughters and their families. There were a total of 15 of us on that trip. I was able to request 2 cabanas with no problem. Unfortunately we were unable to use them, since the Wonder could not dock at Castaway Cay due to rough seas.

That was NOT true the one time we sailed in concierge. My wife, son and I were in the Walt suite for my wife's 60th birthday. As a surprise to her, I also booked non-concierge rooms for our 3 daughters and their families. There were a total of 15 of us on that trip. I was able to request 2 cabanas with no problem. Unfortunately we were unable to use them, since the Wonder could not dock at Castaway Cay due to rough seas.
Wonder/Magic have fewer concierge cabins so there is less competition among other concierge families. Plus, if you have a Royal suite I bet some of the rules might be bent just a little. (And if you pay that much, I have no issue with it!)

What part of Castaway do you think is only for concierge guests?

I have a large family group of 26 going on a cruise. Our booking window is coming up soon and I’m trying to plan our cabana rentals.
How many cabanas are you looking to rent? All the regular cabanas (on the family beach) the price is good for 6 people. You can add up to 4 additional people (for a max of 10) for $50 each.

Cabana #21 the cost covers up to 10 people and you can add up to 6 additional for $50 each.

So for all 26 people you'd have to get (at the minimum) Cabana #21 and one other. Or 3 regular ones.

Wonder/Magic have fewer concierge cabins so there is less competition among other concierge families. Plus, if you have a Royal suite I bet some of the rules might be bent just a little. (And if you pay that much, I have no issue with it!)

The Wonder has more Concierge staterooms (44) than the Dream & Fantasy (41). The Magic will also have 44 after 12 Category 4A staterooms are converted to Category 00V staterooms during the next dry dock.

We have some concierge guests and non concierge guests.
We took a cruise with extended family and had a similar situation but not exactly the same. The whole key to your situation is that you want to get the cabanas locked in under one guest, doesn’t matter who. As mentioned a 15 y.o. will not likely be able to meet the requirements.

You were ambiguous about the concierge cabins in your total party. If you have one then the two adults can each make a request. That could secure you two cabanas. If you have anymore concierge cabins those adults can also request cabanas. Shoreside concierge should be able to help coordinate things.

Best of luck with planning.

Thanks for all the replies! In case anyone else searches - we were allowed to reserve one cabana per adult. However, we have 4 concierge rooms, and just reserved 1 per room.

We have way more that 4 staterooms, but Disney did link them all together and let us reserve group activities for whomever was paid in full.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter