• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can we avoid characters at Tusker House?

jpkkld

Mouseketeer
We will be trying for a RoL FP at 60 days, but just in case, I booked a dining package (late January). While DH and I might enjoy Tiffin's, DD will not. At $67pp OOP, ouch. It was actually our top new choice to try OOP - but not as a fixed price.

In the past, we really liked Tusker House, and if I book a 10:45 breakfast ($40pp), everyone will have access to food they like. I've heard it's not quite what it once was, but we're staying at AKL and we'll have our fill of phenomenal meals.

The thing is, we're really NOT into characters. If I could get a dining package at Yak & Yeti, I would. I also would feel better if our character time could go to a family that would really appreciate it. Is there a way to skip the characters? A no-interaction corner or a flag they can put on our table? I miss the non-character dinner option they used to have here.

And FWIW, we have done Princess meals and they were fantastic, special experiences. We have had incredible random interactions too (both speaking & silent characters). But we just want to eat here.

I have never heard of anyone alltogether skipping but the characters will give you a cursory visit if they are not feeling the vibe.

You could mention it to your server and/or, when the characters come to your table just say something like, "we aren't interested in photos today, but thanks for stopping by!". DH and I ate at Cape May a few years ago and, though, we said hi to the characters and thanked them for coming by, they got it pretty quickly that we weren't interested in a long, drawn out visit.

BTW, chances of getting the ROL FP+ are pretty good at 60 days, so you may not have to worry about this!

It was several years ago, so my memory may not be correct. But I'm pretty sure we successfully avoided characters at Tusker House. We told our seater/server that we weren't interested in having them stop at our table.

the characters will give you a cursory visit if they are not feeling the vibe.

This is probably true most of the time, but it was not my experience at Cape May breakfast. I tried to wave off the characters, and they all "begged" me to interact. It ended up being fun enough, and I got a couple cute pictures, so no hard feelings. But they totally did not take a hint!

"we aren't interested in photos today, but thanks for stopping by!"
I tried to wave off the characters, and they all "begged" me to interact. It ended up being fun enough, and I got a couple cute pictures, so no hard feelings. But they totally did not take a hint!

Thanks! We'll definitely use this line!

And if we're unsuccessful, of course we'll have fun. Heck, we all know that sort of interaction often ends up being the best unexpected event!

BTW, chances of getting the ROL FP+ are pretty good at 60 days, so you may not have to worry about this!

My intent is to get an ROL FP our first night (Saturday), exactly at 60 days. Then I would change my Wednesday Tusker ROL package to a standard Tiffin's lunch, and head to MK that evening for EEMH. Sometimes hoppers make things more complicated. :goodvibes

My experience at TH has been the characters will spend time with the families/guests who are interested and will pass those not interested with a sort of 'hi, how ya doing' interaction. At one breakfast, the characters never made it to my table at all. I'm guessing that if you tell your server you're not interested in meeting the characters, they can pass that information along to the handlers.

At Crystal Palace a few weeks ago, there was a table near us that were not interested in characters. When the characters approached, they just did a little half wave and kept eating. The characters understood completely and kept walking.

When we went to Tusker House last month, the characters had a "handler" that stopped by our table first to see if we had any autograph books, etc. So I'd imagine you could just tell that CM in addition to your server.

At Crystal Palace a few weeks ago, there was a table near us that were not interested in characters. When the characters approached, they just did a little half wave and kept eating. The characters understood completely and kept walking.

Why would someone willingly eat at Crystal Palace if they didn’t want to see characters???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter