• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can we take a case of water on board and check it as "luggage"?

butterfly0202

Earning My Ears
We are sailing on the Magic in two weeks out of NYC. Just wondering if anybody has any experience about taking a case of water on board and checking it in as luggage so as to avoid carrying it all around the first day? Would love to save the money - but not at the expense of lugging it around for hours lol. thanks!

You may take water, but it is supposed to be in your carry-on baggage.

Will the porters accept it? Possibly - they want their tip after all. BUT they are not supposed to. And do be aware that if the bottles break and damage the luggage of others, YOU will be held responsible for any cleaning and/or replacement fees. Because the rules are you're supposed to carry it on.

Have you thought about using a rolling duffel or carry on sized suitcase for the water? I find anything with wheels works great for hauling stuff around till rooms are open.

Rooms open up around 1:30/2:00 so depending on what time you get to the port and board you can determine how long you will have to have the water with you. It may not be as bad as you think.

MJ

Have you considered just taking refillable bottles? I think the ship water is fine, but if you are concerned about the taste of the ship's water, take the Brita bottles that have a filter.

Ship's water has salt and other minerals added to it, after it's purified, for flavor. It is also chlorinated after purification. I, and others as well, swell up when we drink the ship water. It tastes fine to me (I actually like it quite a bit), but my feet were always footballs by day three before I switched to bottled water. I haven't had that problem since.

http://www.rclcorporate.com/what-it-takes-to-keep-water-clean-and-usage-lean-on-cruise-ships/

I've done this twice with no problems. The first time I was going to carry it on and the porter told me not to bother because it was no problem to check it.

I've done this twice with no problems. The first time I was going to carry it on and the porter told me not to bother because it was no problem to check it.

Of course he did. He wanted a tip.

The rules are it must be carried on.

If you choose to break the rule and the water breaks (yes plastic bottles can break), YOU will be the one held financially accountable to the damage to other people’s luggage. YOU. Not the porter who told you what you wanted to hear so he’s get a tip.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not opposed to drinking the ship's recycled water as I have in the past and found it to taste great. I'm travelling with my parents and know that my dad likes to get the case so I figured I would ask to save him some $$$ (as the case onboard is pretty expensive). I guess i'll carry on a few bottles but not the case as I originally thought...

Have you thought about using a rolling duffel or carry on sized suitcase for the water? I find anything with wheels works great for hauling stuff around till rooms are open.

Rooms open up around 1:30/2:00 so depending on what time you get to the port and board you can determine how long you will have to have the water with you. It may not be as bad as you think.

MJ
This is what we do every time. If you don't board until 1:30, then you can just take it straight to your room.

Can you just order bottled water from room service? Even if you tip the waiter $1-$2 would it be cheaper(depending on how many bottles you can get)? Just a thought!

Can you just order bottled water from room service? Even if you tip the waiter $1-$2 would it be cheaper(depending on how many bottles you can get)? Just a thought!
Any bottled drink, including bottled water from room service costs money. They will deliver tap water for free though, again you would need to tip and I have never done so without getting food as well.

Bottled water from room service would have a fee per bottle (they may have a package of six or something).

MJ

We use a rolling carry on suitcase and that is what we use to bring back our souvenirs on the way home. Not a big for us to roll it around for at max 2 hours until our room is ready.

We are sailing on the Magic in two weeks out of NYC. Just wondering if anybody has any experience about taking a case of water on board and checking it in as luggage so as to avoid carrying it all around the first day? Would love to save the money - but not at the expense of lugging it around for hours lol. thanks!
Maybe something to consider: Brita makes a reusable water bottle with a filter. We've been very happy with them.

Ship's water has salt and other minerals added to it, after it's purified, for flavor. It is also chlorinated after purification. I, and others as well, swell up when we drink the ship water. It tastes fine to me (I actually like it quite a bit), but my feet were always footballs by day three before I switched to bottled water. I haven't had that problem since.

http://www.rclcorporate.com/what-it-takes-to-keep-water-clean-and-usage-lean-on-cruise-ships/

Wait, really? I didn't know that. Shoot. I don't handle sodium well at all, so I suppose I will need to carry on a case of water. I hadn't previously considered this, as I am not very picky about the taste of water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter