Can we talk about how Difficult Disney Vacations are becoming

One more question...with the G+ for $15, as a resort guest you can start booking a ride at 7 AM? Can you only book one ride at a time or more than one? I assume it is just one, when can you book the next ride?

One more question...with the G+ for $15, as a resort guest you can start booking a ride at 7 AM? Can you only book one ride at a time or more than one? I assume it is just one, when can you book the next ride?
It's only 1 ride at a time. Not sure when you book your next 1. Some think it's not til you use your first 1. Others think it might be like Maxpass where after 90 minutes you can book another.

I absolutely agree. I've been so disappointed with the Disney experience of the past year, and this FP change is a major slap in the face imo.

I've always been a Disney apologist, never been negative. Loved FP+ from the moment it came out, I've always been positive, but it's becoming too much. Getting rid of all the shows and entertainment (with seemingly no plan to bring them back post covid), parades, fireworks, parties, charging huge costs for watered down "after hours events", getting rid of free FP for this pay-to-play thing that seems to still be significantly less helpful than FP+ was, what they've done to APs in DL...I could go on. They're ditching the "little things" that make the experience what it is. Nickel and diming for every little thing while providing less than you got for free before. The Disney experience imo has always been great because they spare no expense. They spend the extra money for the little details. Now it seems like its all about providing the most cost effective thing they can provide, and charging the absolute maximum they can charge for it. Based on the direction they're going, only rich kids will get to go to Disney. Its very unfortunate.

I moved to Orlando for the theme parks. For the first time since moving here 7 years ago, I'm considering moving back. I don't want to overreact, definitely waiting for it to actually come out before being that dramatic, but my morale for the parks is low. Universal does the nickel and diming thing, and its what turns me off from their parks. I had a terrible feeling when Iger stepped down and Chapek was announced, and there has been a clear change in direction from that moment. I wasn't around for the Eisner days, but what is happening right now seems like history is repeating itself based on the horror stories I've heard and read about from that era.

You can hold on a time. When you use it, you can book the next ride.

I absolutely agree. I've been so disappointed with the Disney experience of the past year, and this FP change is a major slap in the face imo.

I've always been a Disney apologist, never been negative. Loved FP+ from the moment it came out, I've always been positive, but it's becoming too much. Getting rid of all the shows and entertainment (with seemingly no plan to bring them back post covid), parades, fireworks, parties, charging huge costs for watered down "after hours events", getting rid of free FP for this pay-to-play thing that seems to still be significantly less helpful than FP+ was, what they've done to APs in DL...I could go on. They're ditching the "little things" that make the experience what it is. Nickel and diming for every little thing while providing less than you got for free before. The Disney experience imo has always been great because they spare no expense. They spend the extra money for the little details. Now it seems like its all about providing the most cost effective thing they can provide, and charging the absolute maximum they can charge for it. Based on the direction they're going, only rich kids will get to go to Disney. Its very unfortunate.

I moved to Orlando for the theme parks. For the first time since moving here 7 years ago, I'm considering moving back. I don't want to overreact, definitely waiting for it to actually come out before being that dramatic, but my morale for the parks is low. Universal does the nickel and diming thing, and its what turns me off from their parks. I had a terrible feeling when Iger stepped down and Chapek was announced, and there has been a clear change in direction from that moment. I wasn't around for the Eisner days, but what is happening right now seems like history is repeating itself based on the horror stories I've heard and read about from that era.
At least Eisner tried. He allowed creativity along with maximizing profit. Was it great. No. But at least he tried to keep the magic.

Genie seems pretty easy except for anyone who doesn't like to use a mobile device. the in-park wifi service probably needs to improve though. Those who wanted the paper fastpasses back, it's like the paper fastpass except 1) you don't have to be in the park before it opens, you can book your first pass from your bed in the morning if you want and 2) you don't have to run around visiting kiosks to get the passes. The big difference, besides the fee, is having to plan out standby line or VQ for the attractions not included, unless you are willing to pay for quick access to them. This will actually be great for the infrequent visitor who wants to be sure and get on everything. For the rest of us, maybe the standby lines will get shorter, having FP available free to everyone definitely made them slower.

Also, you don't have to add Genie every day. I might try it once in awhile at MK or HS to hang around for the day and knock out a few rides, then maybe hop to Epcot and do a couple there. If I was going to be at MK on Christmas Day it might be a good thing to have. It's the cost of one cocktail, so I'd probably spend it anyway... But I don't understand why it might be needed every day. Everyone does Disney differently though.

Yes I'll have to pay to get in from the airport, but at least a Lyft will take me right to my resort.

With G+$15 everyone who has paid the fee for the day can choose their first attraction at 7 am. Don't think it matters where you are, you just need to get to the park before your chosen window on the first attraction closes to get on it. So at 7 am if you have a MK reservation for the day, you can sit in your bed and choose Haunted Mansion for 9-10, and you need to get to Haunted Mansion before 10 so you can take advantage of your choice. At 9, whether you actually went on HM or not, you can choose your second attraction, and so on.

For the tier one lightning lane purchase, Disney resort guests get to start at 7 am, everyone else waits until park opening time. I wasn't clear on whether they actually have to enter the park first. You can book either one or two of those per day, and if you want two, you can choose both of them once your booking time opens. I'm guessing the price for each individual attraction goes up or down based on demand for that attraction.

Last edited:
Not sure how many people can remember the food and fun package disney had years ago. It was a huge bargain and I swore our disney days were over when they discontinued it. Well many years later we are still caught in the disney magic. We've learned to adapt to the changes year after year although not always happily. Some changes are for the better, dining reservations at 180 out is a little crazy and I hope it doesn't return. I also don't miss the paper fast passes!! We always struggled with the machines for some reason. Of all the changes the one that bothers me the most is the parking fee but we are still staying and paying! I may be in a majority but I have no issue with making park reservations and I see no issue with the Genie. It is not a requirement and one can always choose to wait in line without paying for it. Our family has always understood that going to an amusement park equals waiting in line so I'm not even sure if we will purchase it. Our trips are usually 10 days or longer which allows us a lot of time to see the attractions that we consider musts. If we would opt for a short trip I would probably pay the money if riding certain rides would make or break our trip. We however do not base our disney trips on how many rides we get on. It may sound crazy but we go for the atmosphere and some of the best fireworks in the country.(we are HUGE firework fanactics) Our family could spend days walking around the World Showcase which for now remains fee free.

Our family could spend days walking around the World Showcase which for now remains fee free.

I was going to say don't give them anymore ideas but I'm sure they are already thinking of souvenir country visas. Pay $15 to get into Italy at WS and you get your souvie visa stamped and you are allowed to book an ADR for Via Napoli. Special timed gift shop entry. Don't forget you need a park pass first.

The Disney experience imo has always been great because they spare no expense. They spend the extra money for the little details. Now it seems like its all about providing the most cost effective thing they can provide, and charging the absolute maximum they can charge for it. Based on the direction they're going, only rich kids will get to go to Disney. Its very unfortunate.
Yes, Disney was always a more expensive vacation but it seemed like the quality was consistently there. And lots of people could make it work with value hotels, cheaper meals, and no extras: the parks were enough.

Now it seems they are just being so cheap wanting you to pay for more than what you are getting. Not as magical, for sure.

Sigh - I miss the good old days. When we took our kids many years ago the characters were everywhere. You never knew when you would happen along one. I have so many photos of the kids with characters. Parks were busy but not overly crowded. There was "magic" all over. We all waited in line for rides. Yes - you expect to wait. I think the longest we waited was about 25 minutes.

I can't even imagine having to run around with my phone all day trying to plan out rides. I like to be spontaneous after doing my "must do" rides. All this planning for where to eat and when and being connected to a phone takes away from the magic of the parks. I want to be able to see the kids laughing and smiling, I want to be able to people watch and admire the parks. The way things are changing it just sounds like more of a chore then a fun trip.

Agree, Genie is just a money grab scheme to counter their failures in balancing rooms to rides. Their considering while you have already paid to ride everything in the park that you will pay again to have a great vacation you already paid for once. Genie will also spy on you during your entire trip and if the digital assistant is audio...it will hear everything too. It has full potential to also manipulate crowds across the parks and even 'makew way'for VIPs

Yeah, G+ gets you tier 2 rides and IAS/$LL is an additional per ride/per person fee.

OK, If you have a park hopper do you get the tier 2 rides at each park? And if you can only buy 2 LL, is that 2 at each park or 2 the entire day regardless of how you split it.

I think they may be eventually be easier. I do not love park ressies or hopping at two. I hope that eventually goes away, but it may not. I hope 180 day ressies never come back. I think 60 is plenty. This Genie+ thing doesn't bother me at all. Its been a couple, of years in the making. There is still a free option and the paid for fee isn't horrible. I could see doing it some days/trips and others not. Should make stand by lines go faster. I cant imagine any ride that I would pay to do LL though. I am still really bothered by resort parking fees.

Not sure how many people can remember the food and fun package disney had years ago. It was a huge bargain and I swore our disney days were over when they discontinued it. Well many years later we are still caught in the disney magic. We've learned to adapt to the changes year after year although not always happily. Some changes are for the better, dining reservations at 180 out is a little crazy and I hope it doesn't return. I also don't miss the paper fast passes!! We always struggled with the machines for some reason. Of all the changes the one that bothers me the most is the parking fee but we are still staying and paying! I may be in a majority but I have no issue with making park reservations and I see no issue with the Genie. It is not a requirement and one can always choose to wait in line without paying for it. Our family has always understood that going to an amusement park equals waiting in line so I'm not even sure if we will purchase it. Our trips are usually 10 days or longer which allows us a lot of time to see the attractions that we consider musts. If we would opt for a short trip I would probably pay the money if riding certain rides would make or break our trip. We however do not base our disney trips on how many rides we get on. It may sound crazy but we go for the atmosphere and some of the best fireworks in the country.(we are HUGE firework fanactics) Our family could spend days walking around the World Showcase which for now remains fee free.
So agree with all you said!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter