Can we talk about how Difficult Disney Vacations are becoming

Wonder if you can get a BG thru VQ at 7 and also a LL for the same ride, and go twice in one day?
That's a good question for the future. I cannot imagine that Disney would refuse to take your money but the very fact that they are limiting IA$ to 2 per person, it's possible that they will want to make a limited commodity available to a large variety of guests, which theoretically would increase guest satisfaction over more guests.

So what if you are an overseas guest and don't have internet. Is your phone the only option or will there still be somewhere to book your Genie+ rides. This is something we struggled with greatly last trip. The Wifi in the parks is not good. It was a real struggle to stay connected to book FP. We relied on out 3 that we booked in advance and if we were able to get others in the park it was a bonus, but definitely not something we could rely on.

This is related to ROTR , has anyone done this? I'm guessing something similar for genie . I have read some people from overseas phones will not work.

Not to worry. Guests who would like to experience Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance at Disney's Hollywood Studios, but cannot join a Boarding Group through a smartphone, may try to do so by visiting a Guest Experience Team kiosk. This Planning Your Visit to Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge page explains this and more. Just scroll down to "Getting In and Making Reservations", then click on "Read More" under "Experiencing Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance".

To locate a Guest Experience Team kiosk, check a park map. On this link to Disney's Hollywood Studios, scroll down to the map at the bottom of the page, then enlarge so that you can see all of the icons close to the park entrance. Locate Hollywood Boulevard, then drag that map just a bit to the top, and locate the shopping bag icon for Keystone Clothiers; the left, and a little down from there, you'll see a patch of grass with another icon. This one is where the Guest Experience Team will be located to assist you. Of course, this location is subject to change, so be sure to check the map again prior to arrival and ask a Cast Member to direct you once inside the park that morning.

I am hoping that since it’s one lightning lane ride at a time, it will be shorter periods of waiting for the next. One thing I didn’t like about FP+ (in addition to the 60 day booking) was that I often had FP scattered throughout the day which limited flexibility on planning the rest of the day.
That's the big question. With the paper FP that gave you the "next" time is was also one at a time (although you could get a 2nd after 2 hours if your wait time was much later in the day). And there were still many where your return time would be many hours off. Toy Story Mania used to run out of times for the whole day within the first hour! FP+ seemed to offer a lot more options but because you got to choose your own time they were more spread out. A lot will depend on what % of ride capacity they allocate to possible reservations. I used MaxPass once (albeit somewhat off season and as a solo traveller who didn't need to use it for rides with single rider lines) and thought it was OK although it really felt like I was tied to Disney's schedule more than I was able to do my own. But if it turns out that at 3pm everyday nearly all reservations are gone other than It's a Small World and Barnstormer, it will be a big failure. Based on FP+ if you can't find several options for rides with a return time 60-90 minutes away - it will be a HUGE downgrade in experience.

The other aspect is what I consider inevitable. So they announced the only way to ride Space Mountain, for example, will be a paid reservation or standby. No free reservations. And no one can pay more than once now. So the vast majority of people riding space mountain will ride standby. And maybe the lines will be a little quicker will fewer people going through fastpass. But Disney makes no money from standby lines - so they'll find ways to let more and more people pay making standby longer and longer again.

Honestly, we took a WDW trip before COVID and I was the one arranging FP+ for everyone in our entire party of 17. Never again. I hated that version of FP+ because I don't care to choose what I'm going to ride 3 months out, and all of the stress over ADRs etc has caused us to shift to Universal.

The Genie+ thing both seems easier (on the spot reservations, rather than future ones) and more difficult (I'm not one to be on their phone all day, especially in a theme park). And it seems like a money grubbing thing for it to now cost extra. $15 a day for one or two people won't kill the bank but for larger families, it will add up - and I don't see it staying at that price point long. And it appears that headliner rides (SDMT, for instance) won't be included in the Genie+ system. You'll have to pay another premium to get a quick line for headliners, two per day.

I love Disney, but I'm more and more getting the feeling that it doesn't love me back.
Good info

I do think our days are numbered with WDW parks. Not saying "we won't go again," but we will certainly go less. In an average year, we are in Orlando 6 times, and we went 11 times in 2020. We spend far more time in other parks or just hanging out than any WDW parks. Having passes to the other parks is just easier, frankly. You just go. If it's too crowded, you do what you want and leave, or maybe you choose to buy their version of an express pass. With WDW, a simple weekend trip for a family of 5 would cost you $1500 in tickets alone... You can buy everyone passes to LegoLand, SeaWorld, and have enough left to buy 1 Universal pass. :-) For $1500, you endure a lot, and you kinda have the "right" to be grumpy if the magic isn't there.

For me the difficulty is the unknown. I purchased my tickets for specific dates and made park reservations. I made my decision about where to stay based on the "rules" at the time and reserved a VRBO off-site. Now Disney is changing the terms and creating disadvantages for me that didn't exist at the time I spent my money. I'm ultimately fine with whatever changes they roll out, I'll make it work. But once you sell tickets for a window of time and accept reservations, the terms shouldn't change at the whim of Disney.

The eventual hammer to drop of having the MDE go away and Mears taking over and charging whatever they want (another added expense), how much will this bus ride cost for a family of four in a year?
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but FWIW, Mears has always operated DME. They just did so under contract with Disney. Now Disney is subsidizing the cost by having guests pay for it. Eventually, the high speed rail will be in place and this will be a moot point. Its just a temporary solution.

If you're worried about bus costs, private transports will charge flat rates rather than what will likely be a per person rate under Mears. UberXL is always a cost effective option as well.

Will these prices ever go down?
Not a chance.

Real question - has there ever been an instance anyone can think of where something in Disney World ever went DOWN in price? I'm not talking perks or incentives like Free Dining, but an actual drop in price for something.

Real question - has there ever been an instance anyone can think of where something in Disney World ever went DOWN in price? I'm not talking perks or incentives like Free Dining, but an actual drop in price for something

They didn't even drop prices when they reopened during covid without fireworks, characters, parades, shows, most dining...

But once you sell tickets for a window of time and accept reservations, the terms shouldn't change at the whim of Disney.

There is always someone who already has tickets and accommodations who is adversely affected by changes. They'd never be able to legally change anything. this is why there is a disclaimer in which Disney reserves the right to change the terms at any time.

prices won't go down, but where warranted deals and discounts will be released. Some could be targeted, though, and not apply to all guests or potential guests.

Apparently the high speed rail is not a thing that will happen anytime soon...they're in a fight with Universal which is pushing for them to reroute their proposed track layout (at a major cost) for a stop near Uni. it's a privately run system, so they could just throw their hands up and stop at neither.

Last edited:
just give genie your money and he will handle it. He speaks anything you like.
It's easy. Everyone can download the Genie app which will give you tons of info for free. You can CHOOSE to add Genie +. Genie + will be $15 per person, per day. For that, you will receive what essentially is the next available time for Tier 2 attractions (such as Haunted) that Disney has decided on, starting at 7 am whether or not you are staying at a Dis resort. Also, you can CHOOSE to purchase Individual Attraction Selections. Price not yet determined. This will get you a maximum of TWO Tier 1 attractions as determined by Disney ( such as Ride of the Resistance). For this, if you are staying at a Disney Resort you can pay for the privilege if getting up at 7 am for best availability. For non-Disney resort guests you must be in the park to do this. Everything will be done through the Genie app.

shh said:
I've read that darn genie thread several times and am still confused on how it works, what's included, etc. I can't wait until they have to explain this to millions of guests whose native language is not English. What a crazy, complicated system for a theme park. o_O

It's easy. Everyone can download the Genie app which will give you tons of info for free. You can CHOOSE to add Genie +. Genie + will be $15 per person, per day. For that, you will receive what essentially is the next available time for Tier 2 attractions (such as Haunted) that Disney has decided on, starting at 7 am whether or not you are staying at a Dis resort. Also, you can CHOOSE to purchase Individual Attraction Selections. Price not yet determined. This will get you a maximum of TWO Tier 1 attractions as determined by Disney ( such as Ride of the Resistance). For this, if you are staying at a Disney Resort you can pay for the privilege if getting up at 7 am for best availability. For non-Disney resort guests you must be in the park to do this. Everything will be done through the Genie app.

We have been blessed with the ability to go to WDW multiple times a year for the past 12 years. We love WDW and some of our fondest memories come from this wonderful place. We recently went down to WDW with 5 families, stayed at the Beach Club for 10 days with everyone on a 7 day park hopper. 24 people! 24 friends! It was great.
However as a self proclaimed WDW expert and travel nerd, my wife and I noticed a lot of "difficulty's"
The now longer lines at DME!
The eventual hammer to drop of having the MDE go away and Mears taking over and charging whatever they want (another added expense), how much will this bus ride cost for a family of four in a year?
The park reservation system, although not all that hard to understand and do, just kind of odd they still have this.
No fast-passes and now the new Genie + option. Another added $60 to your park admission to just ride a couple of rides a day, I can see unlimited as long as you ride the rides and would be eligible to add another ride. But correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you only get 2?
The mobile ordering of food is good and was able to get a table in the restaurants we went to for lunch, but we had to choose our lunches at 9am!. What if I don't want the Burrito Bowl for lunch!
The difficulty finding dining reservations, I feel like the current WDW climate shows that everyone is having difficulty finding a decent reservation.
Will these prices ever go down? I hope soo, but with Bob Chepek CEO at the helm I worry about the near future for all of us WDW mega fans.
Spoke to a Disney dieheart yesterday. For the last 10 years they have flown from CLE to WDW at least once and some years twice. They told me they are done and forgoing any DVC purchase. They have decided to halt their WDW addiction and start traveling other places for far less dollars for the deluxe accommodations, meals, tansportation etc. they have come to enjoy at WDW. (Not comparing using cost of APs when looking at other vacations). I was very surprised they are going to Hawaii instead of WDW for Christmas. Another frined ready to buy OKW and rethinking. And me - being tied to tech to get a meal or use a fastpass type program....... UGH! We have DVC at GF and are not adding on. It may be time for American Cruise Lines, AAA trips, and ABD via Costco.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but FWIW, Mears has always operated DME. They just did so under contract with Disney. Now Disney is subsidizing the cost by having guests pay for it. Eventually, the high speed rail will be in place and this will be a moot point. Its just a temporary solution.

Correct that Mears operates magical express. There won't be rail service to Disney for many years, though, if at all. Even if there were, it wouldn't take you to the resorts.

Correct that Mears operates magical express. There won't be rail service to Disney for many years, though, if at all. Even if there were, it wouldn't take you to the resorts.
The rail service is still planned, but it does keep getting pushed back. Whenever it’s done, it will have a station at Disney Springs and presumably Disney will have options to get to your resort from there. It’s been said this is one of the reasons they let the DME contract lapse. The rail may be a hassle with the transfer, but it will likely be the economical option for people worried about budget.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter