• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can we talk about ring door bell

Has its issues with us. Sometimes it just doesnt work with the wifi so we get no notification via Alexa.. They is how our ringer is set up.. maybe we need to the the Ring ringer??

Though it always seems to notice when " somebody is standing at the front door" which is often when people are outside
Do you have the Ring app installed? You can get notifications on your phone and also see who is out there on your phone. Sometimes it also just needs to be rebooted or the perimeters reset.

You'll need to pay for a subscription to look at past episodes with your doorbell. Like someone came to the door and were gone before you got there. Or they came by yesterday. I have to charge my battery more than the doorbell rings because we fly a flag by our front door and the motion gets tracked. I don't get alarms for motion, so that's good.

My daughter and son-in-law have a Ring, and they like it.

Most notably, they had a big problem with porch pirates at Christmas. They and several other neighbors got pictures of the kids who were doing it -- I mean, close-up, quality pictures of their faces -- and far-away pictures of the grandparents who were driving them through the neighborhood in a pick-up truck. They had solid evidence against the people, and the police took the pictures to the local schools. One school said, "Oh, yes -- that's XX and YY -- they're brothers and our students." With the kids' names, the police discovered that the grandparents, indeed, owned a truck that matched the one in the pictures. Slam dunk for the homeowners.

Biggest oddity: My SIL has the app, and it tells him when someone enters /leaves the house. The machine identifies me and my daughter as the same person! We do look alike, but not THAT MUCH alike.

Something you might not think about: He has to turn off the app when they have people over; otherwise, he'd be annoyed with lots of people coming /going.

Even though they like it, I wouldn't bother with one myself.

You'll need to pay for a subscription to look at past episodes with your doorbell. Like someone came to the door and were gone before you got there. Or they came by yesterday. I have to charge my battery more than the doorbell rings because we fly a flag by our front door and the motion gets tracked. I don't get alarms for motion, so that's good.

How much is the subscription

It’s $3 a month or $30 a year. Fairly cheap in a world full of subscriptions.

My daughter and son-in-law have a Ring, and they like it.

Most notably, they had a big problem with porch pirates at Christmas. They and several other neighbors got pictures of the kids who were doing it -- I mean, close-up, quality pictures of their faces -- and far-away pictures of the grandparents who were driving them through the neighborhood in a pick-up truck. They had solid evidence against the people, and the police took the pictures to the local schools. One school said, "Oh, yes -- that's XX and YY -- they're brothers and our students." With the kids' names, the police discovered that the grandparents, indeed, owned a truck that matched the one in the pictures. Slam dunk for the homeowners.

Biggest oddity: My SIL has the app, and it tells him when someone enters /leaves the house. The machine identifies me and my daughter as the same person! We do look alike, but not THAT MUCH alike.

Something you might not think about: He has to turn off the app when they have people over; otherwise, he'd be annoyed with lots of people coming /going.

Even though they like it, I wouldn't bother with one myself.
Are you sure it’s the Ring they have? The Ring doesn’t identify people but there are video doorbells that do.

Another plus: With the movement detection I actually know a package was delivered. No one is ringing the bell or knocking on the door these days.

So I don't really have an opinion (yet) other than I will add to check your existing doorbell.

I ordered a SimpliSafe version because we already have a SimpliSafe alarm system. It looked simple enough to self-install. Well, after I got it, I couldn't find the circuit breaker to turn off the doorbell. I finally realized it was battery operated. So now I'm waiting on an electrician to install it. I might have done something different had I looked at my existing doorbell more carefully.

We have simplisafe too! Had the security system for a year and added the doorbell cam in Feb. love it. It tells me someone is approaching prior to them pressing them bell, very much live action and it also records 5-10 seconds before the movement (always on basically) and minute after all movement. Tons of false alerts at first but now I don’t even get one a day, maybe two a week..

We have the Nest and we love it. It’s convenient for a lot of things. We like to see when packages are delivered. In the winter we know if/when the plow guy comes. When we’re out of town we see when the neighbor comes to check on the cats, or what the weather is doing.
But my favorite thing is to see animals. We’ve seen lots of cats, deer, an opossum, a fox, and a hummingbird made a lengthy appearance once!

Are you sure it’s the Ring they have? The Ring doesn’t identify people but there are video doorbells that do.

Another plus: With the movement detection I actually know a package was delivered. No one is ringing the bell or knocking on the door these days.

Funny you said that the reason why we are looking into ring someone knocked and we never found out who it was

I really don't know what my doorbell sounds like. Most people are announced by the doorman who calls up on the house intercom (abrasive but distinctive sound) or land line. People who live in the building and want to see me call my cellphone first in general. The doorbell is required by law but rarely used.

I really don't know what my doorbell sounds like. Most people are announced by the doorman who calls up on the house intercom (abrasive but distinctive sound) or land line. People who live in the building and want to see me call my cellphone first in general. The doorbell is required by law but rarely used.
Part of the reason I got this was I could not hear my doorbell downstairs unless I was at the foot of the stairs which is almost never. I was starting to dabble in “smart home” technology and it was on sale. Otherwise I probably would have just gone on not hearing/ignoring when people came to my door.

Part of the reason I got this was I could not hear my doorbell downstairs unless I was at the foot of the stairs which is almost never. I was starting to dabble in “smart home” technology and it was on sale. Otherwise I probably would have just gone on not hearing/ignoring when people came to my door.
My old apartment was really long and the house intercom was located in the back by the kitchen. I thought about hooking up an additional gadget to allow me to answer in the front or amplify the sound but decided it was so much easier to just give the front desk my cell phone number. They were quite adept at saying the answering machine picked up and I wasn't home :rotfl2:. I'm not good dealing with Dew Drop Inn people, LOL.

I did a lot of research before buying - I landed on a Nest doorbell. The ring had too many glitches - I’ve had the nest for about two years - zero issues.

We have one... I believe it is more for entertainment value than anything a lot of times. We do get our fair share of false notifications from neighbors pulling out of their driveway. That could be adjusted out of it if somebody actually took time to set up the range. I just like being able to look out to see what is going on at home. It's nice to see who is coming and going and when. It is nice to see when a package is delivered. As far as the answering the door part... I found that to be a little less than useful because if somebody rings the doorbell and you aren't home there really isn't much you can do. Overall I really like it.

We have one... I believe it is more for entertainment value than anything a lot of times. We do get our fair share of false notifications from neighbors pulling out of their driveway. That could be adjusted out of it if somebody actually took time to set up the range. I just like being able to look out to see what is going on at home. It's nice to see who is coming and going and when. It is nice to see when a package is delivered. As far as the answering the door part... I found that to be a little less than useful because if somebody rings the doorbell and you aren't home there really isn't much you can do. Overall I really like it.

For me for some reason when I hear people outside my condo I freak I know not normal but it is what it is so if I can just see what is going on it might help

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter