• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can we talk roller coasters?

LibrarianBecky

Mouseketeer
Trying to decide on some roller coasters for our next trip. Riders will be myself and my 12 year old son. I don't like heights/big drops, but can handle going upside down without too much of a problem. My son was previously afraid of roller coasters, but on our last trip (3 years ago), conquered his fear and rode several different ones. The two I"m considering for us are Expedition Everest and Rock 'N Roller Coaster.

Here's what we have ridden:
Space Mountain (son loved this so much we rode it back to back)
Big Thunder (this was the roller coaster he conquered his fear with, and we love it)
7D Mine Train (no trouble)

Universal
Revenge of the Mummy (amazingly, my son loved this and rode it back to back...I thought it was scarier than Space Mountain, but survived)
Gringotts in HP Wizard World (no problem once we got over the fear where they 'hang' you facing downward at the beginning of the ride)

If it helps at all, son has also done all of the roller coasters at Legoland (by himself), and we did Backlot Stunt Coaster at King's Island.

I've watched some POV videos for both EE and RnRC. EE doesn't look so bad....I know that the backwards part probably feels intense, but it looks doable for us. RnRC wasn't as easy to find a video of because of it being a dark ride, but doesn't seem that much more intense than Space Mountain, other than the upside down parts.

Opinions?

I HATE roller coasters! My DS10 loves them however and for the past few years has been riding EE on his own. On our trip this past August, I decided to give it a whirl. Wow - it was FUN! The most intense part for me was going backward, but that lasts merely seconds and the "big" drop is pretty tame. I can also do 7DMT, Big Thunder, FoP (which isn't a roller coaster, but still fairly intense) and SDD. I will never, ever do ToT!

RnRC I will never ride again. It's not the ride itself, it's the speed. I never quite recover from the takeoff. The last time I rode it my legs were shaking so badly at the end, I was shocked I could still walk once I exited the vehicle. If they would slow that down to EE or BTMMR speed, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Trying to decide on some roller coasters for our next trip. Riders will be myself and my 12 year old son. I don't like heights/big drops, but can handle going upside down without too much of a problem. My son was previously afraid of roller coasters, but on our last trip (3 years ago), conquered his fear and rode several different ones. The two I"m considering for us are Expedition Everest and Rock 'N Roller Coaster.

Here's what we have ridden:
Space Mountain (son loved this so much we rode it back to back)
Big Thunder (this was the roller coaster he conquered his fear with, and we love it)
7D Mine Train (no trouble)

Universal
Revenge of the Mummy (amazingly, my son loved this and rode it back to back...I thought it was scarier than Space Mountain, but survived)
Gringotts in HP Wizard World (no problem once we got over the fear where they 'hang' you facing downward at the beginning of the ride)

If it helps at all, son has also done all of the roller coasters at Legoland (by himself), and we did Backlot Stunt Coaster at King's Island.

I've watched some POV videos for both EE and RnRC. EE doesn't look so bad....I know that the backwards part probably feels intense, but it looks doable for us. RnRC wasn't as easy to find a video of because of it being a dark ride, but doesn't seem that much more intense than Space Mountain, other than the upside down parts.

Opinions?

Your 12 year old will love them all.

I prefer RNR over Space. Space is too jerky and I'm always afraid it'll break down on me. Don't like the seating in the car. Prefer RNR seating.

I can't do Mission to Mars or Mission Space whichever it's called. Get motion sick.

I did all the coasters at Universal. Don't care for RIP Ride Rocket, but all others are ok.

EE is easy peasy.

I’m a big chicken and hate big drops, but I love Everest! It’s a super fun ride, and the drop isn’t so bad, especially if you ride toward the front of the train.

RnRC is a hard one for me because of the sudden speed at the beginning. Once you’re up to speed, the rest of the ride is smooth and very fun. But last time I got so nervous before we even got on the ride, I didn’t enjoy it at all.

I’d say a definite YES to Everest, and a maybe to RnRC.

It has taken me a few years to get up the courage and ride EE and RNR, but I'm glad I did! I hate drops, but can do the big one on EE because it isn't straight down, but rather, curved at the end. I highly suggest asking for the front seat - I feel like it is less intense on both EE and RNR. The take-off on RNR is pretty intense, but it's over so quickly that your brain doesn't have time to register it...it's the anticipation of taking off that gets you! You will be nervous before you do them, and we are the first time we ride them each trip, but you will probably come to love them as much as we do! Now, if I could talk myself into riding The Hulk at IOA! I think I can, I think I can...

I think both of you will do fine on EE and RnRC. My son is also 12 and not a big thrill seeker AT ALL, but did both just fine and loved them. I also don't like big drops, but no problem with that on either one. The backwards part on EE does get me. Can't ride that one more than once at a time. Need time to recover. LOL.
I do fine that with RnRC the back is more jerky and I end up with a headache if we are there. I actually asked to be "toward the front" the last few times we rode it which worked well.

I think both of you will do fine on EE and RnRC. My son is also 12 and not a big thrill seeker AT ALL, but did both just fine and loved them. I also don't like big drops, but no problem with that on either one. The backwards part on EE does get me. Can't ride that one more than once at a time. Need time to recover. LOL.
I do fine that with RnRC the back is more jerky and I end up with a headache if we are there. I actually asked to be "toward the front" the last few times we rode it which worked well.

EE does the same thing to me. If I ride it just once, I'm fine, but if I get right back in line and ride it again, I don't feel so great.

LOVE the takeoff on RnRC. The first time I rode it my knees were shaking so badly I had to go sit quietly for a few minutes, but as soon as I recovered we were right back in line for it again. I'm smiling in every one of those pictures they take during the takeoff.

Used to love ToT, but somewhere along the line it started freaking me out so much that I just won't ride it anymore.

Hard to predict what might freak kids out.

I try to let the grandkids know in advance what the ride will be like.

I tell them that Rock n Roller has a breathtaking fast takeoff, three upside down loops, is very dark, the music is very loud, and it will be over in 1.5 mintues should they hate it.
I tell them Expedition Everest has one huge drop like Splash Mountain, a spiraling backwards drop in the dark that is very disorienting (and also causes me some queasiness), and it will be very hard to spot the Yeti on the final drop.

Both rides are much less jerky than Space Mountain.

I am more fearful of the drop on Splash Mountain than any of the coasters in WDW.

EE -- When you are ascending up the "mountain" it seems a bit high, but I don't feel that any of the downward drop portions are especially large.

RnR - I grew up petrified of roller coasters and most thrill rides, until my DH (BF at the time, 12 years ago) was able to coax me on to RnR. When the countdown starts I still get nervous in anticipation of the launch -- but honestly that's what they are trying to do with the countdown thing and that's what thrill rides are all about. It's the only coaster I've ever been on that goes upside down... and it doesn't really bother me. The takeoff is the most intense part of the ride, and after that it's fairly smooth, and it's also a pretty short ride as well. The music is loud and adds to the atmosphere. If you don't like it, it's over in like less than 90 seconds...

Space Mountain is old, and jerky -- neither of these coasters are like that.

As for if either will scare a child... I don't know, you really just never know what will freak them out... my oldest completely lost it on Peter Pan's Flight when she was 5, for example.... :confused3 But based on his history it doesn't sound like it will be a problem, unless he has an issue with high volume (the music on RnR and maybe the Yeti on EE but not as much)

I would say Slinky Dog Dash is the best Disney roller coaster right now. Very smooth, perfect intensity, great theming.

i am a fan of almost all the coasters Disney has.
RnRC is fast and has inversions, but no real drops.
EE is a mixture of many features. Big lift hill, amazing detail. A portion going backwards. A fast curved drop (not real tall). Great fast, well detailed ride.

Given what you and he have ridden, you should be fine. Personally, I think RnRC is more intense that EE, but both are great.
Haven't done SDD, yet so can't compare.
i don't think any of these coasters directly compare with what Universal has. Mummy has stop and go areas, no real drops and not that fast. Nice effects.
Gringotts is more experience with screen than a coaster.

This is the same roller coaster as Rock And Roller Coaster.
Warning: Turn your speakers off. The idiot guy filming this uses
a profanity.

None of us can tell you if you or your kids will like it. All we can do is tell you what they're like and you'll have to decide if you want to try them.

EE has some drops. By coaster enthusiast standards, they're not huge, but they're there. The ride is slightly jerky at times, but not terrible at all. The backwards part is pretty intense. It goes through one steep banking where it feels like you're going to flip over (though you don't).

RnR is a very smooth coaster. The launch is intense, and amazingly awesome IMO. It's 0-60mph in under 3 seconds. From there, it's 3 inversions and moderate speeds. Faster than Space, but not 60mph. No big drops, though a small one that's sudden and will make your stomach drop a little. RnR is by far my favorite ride in all WDW.

I made my kids try both of them and they loved it. DD11 was scared of them at first, but has become the daredevil now. Like another posted said, if your son doesn't like it, RnR is over in 90 seconds and you don't have to do it again. Not sure how long EE is, but I'd say maybe 3 minutes.

I am terrified of roller coasters I hate the drops but I almost hate the hill more because my anxiety gets the best of me. I don't even like the hills on Pirates or Frozen.

The first roller coaster I ever rode at Disney was RNRR. DH went on it first and told me there were no hills, just the fast speed and and loops. I HATE the build-up to the take off because it gives me a panic attack but once it starts I love it. I look terrified in the takeoff picture and screaming like a lunatic but I love it.

I have yet to be brave enough to do EE or Splash The hills look way too big for me and there's the straight up incline on EE.

EE is a lot of fun. The backwards part does put some pressure on you because its reverse Gs, but, its well worth it. If you ride RNRC, the back is a lot more smooth. To me, its the only real "thrill" coaster at WDW. Which Im fine with. I dont go to WDW to do thrill coasters. If I want to do those, Sea World and BG Tampa have the best ones around Florida.

The best advice I can give you is to get on RnR and EE. My kids were scared of them and once I finally talked them into getting on them, they love them and we do them back to back early in the morning and get a fast pass for them as well. They wish they hadn't waited so long to try them. Highly recommend them.

If it helps, I would definitely rank both RnR and EE as more intense than Mummy at Universal. I know Mummy has a little bit of a "scare factor" to it as well that these 2 don't have, if that makes a difference. Both are fairly tame as far as coasters go though, worst case you don't like them and don't have to ride them again, so I say go for it!

Thanks for the help, everyone! My son and I watched some POV videos, and we decided that we are going to try them both! Always fun to look forward to new experiences at WDW...and if we don't like them, we don't have to go on them again. It'll be a good use of a tier 2 fast pass at both locations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter