Can we talk WDW price inflation???

Wow, the good old days.
My formula for figuring out Disney prices: Guess what something should cost, then double it and add 15 percent
Being a WDW fan is like owning a boat. You know the value isn't there in any way except the quality of life and moments you love. When you start thinking about the $$ more than you get to actually enjoy the boat, it's time to sell the boat.

Party tickets were $17.95 in 1988 and are now $229. That's a whopping 1175% increase. Annual Passes were $165 back in 1988 and they are now $1383, a mere 738% increase.

The old party and new party are not quite the same. The current version is an after-hours party, with more limited attendance.

I recall paying around $50 or so 15 years ago. Got a room for around $150 or so at the Wilderness Lodge with a Florida resident discount.

Anyway, one could argue that the after hours party tickets are still too cheap, since almost all the dates in December are sold out.

The old party and new party are not quite the same. The current version is an after-hours party, with more limited attendance.

I recall paying around $50 or so 15 years ago. Got a room for around $150 or so at the Wilderness Lodge with a Florida resident discount.

Anyway, one could argue that the after hours party tickets are still too cheap, since almost all the dates in December are sold out.
The old party was also after hours. I was there; you also got a free 5x7 picture and there were tables set up throughout the park giving out free hot chocolate and cookies. Before the days of digital, so the photos were mailed to you after being processed.

$17.95 in 1988 dollars is worth $43 in 2021 after inflation.

But normal inflation != Disney inflation, with prices skyrocketing in recent years in an attempt to curb demand. Disney inflation is mostly a supply/demand problem - the demand to go to Disney parks is outstripping the supply - so they can continue to raise prices, if enough people stop going - and demand goes down - then and only then will we start to see more consumer friendly promotions (doubtful they would just lower prices though).

It's not a question of inflation. It's just supply and demand. The more the demand for a limited supply, the higher the price. Arguably, it should be more and Disney needs to raise the cost higher. Whatever the market will bear.

As a topic of reflection, I can understand the shock at the % increase from the 80s to now but that reflects many goods/services. As previously mentioned, there are many variables for the price increase and just comparing to the inflation rate won't cut it. But I agree, it's still sticker shock even if its comparing apples and oranges.

Supply and demand.

Also, Taylor Swift tickets are way more than your local cover band.

I wonder how much college prices have gone up. I bet it's more than normal inflation. Housing costs have gone up tremendously in that time frame too. Inflation/cost of living increased really do not apply to everything. Unfortunately, it's used to calculate salaries, retirement, and social security/government benefits.

I wonder how much college prices have gone up. I bet it's more than normal inflation. Housing costs have gone up tremendously in that time frame too. Inflation/cost of living increased really do not apply to everything. Unfortunately, it's used to calculate salaries, retirement, and social security/government benefits.
You're absolutely correct. Costs for education, entertainment, and a few other categories have risen at far greater than the overall inflation rate for decades.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter