Can you believe ...

Jimmy Mouse

My other car is the Monorail
Today is the 4 year anniversary of the day they started building Tron at WDW? In that time frame UO has broke ground and built Hagrids and Velocicoaster and will have an entire theme park built in less time. I know we had a pandemic but really? They already had one built so it's not like it's a totally new ride or anything like what UO did. I just don't understand the lengthly build time.

If look at the last five years, (2018-now) uni has opened 2 e tickets roller coasters. WDW has built two themed lands in HS with four attractions, (rise, MFSR, SDD, A2S) has opened ratatouille in epcot, has debuted two nighttime spectaculars, built a new transportation system in the skyliner, and has two e-ticker roller coasters in progress, not too mention the gutting and re-imagining of 1/2 of epcot. Would I like construction to be moving faster, sure. I don't think it is accurate to say that uni is building things quicker though, they are just building less so the individual projects might take a shorter time.

If look at the last five years, (2018-now) uni has opened 2 e tickets roller coasters. WDW has built two themed lands in HS with four attractions, (rise, MFSR, SDD, A2S) has opened ratatouille in epcot, has debuted two nighttime spectaculars, built a new transportation system in the skyliner, and has two e-ticker roller coasters in progress, not too mention the gutting and re-imagining of 1/2 of epcot. Would I like construction to be moving faster, sure. I don't think it is accurate to say that uni is building things quicker though, they are just building less so the individual projects might take a shorter time.
Just to be clear, you're including that mess in Epcot in the accomplishment category?

It took a little over 18 months to build the Pentagon in 1941 and at the time it was the largest office building in the world. It took over a decade to do refurbishing in the 2000's. Of course there was the massive damage caused by the Sep 11th attack, but still it took much longer to refurbish than it took to build. It is very strange when you consider the increase in automation and new technologies for building since the 1940's. Much of it is caused by Government red tape of course, but perhaps we just don't work as hard as we used to.

Last edited:
Yeah, while COVID certianly has had some impact, Disney has been so slow in recent years, even before that. I really don't know what causes it, but it's pretty astonishing that they can't get stuff done faster. Maybe they are trying to do too much. It's one thing for a brand new ride to run into issues, but clones of something that is already built and operates correctly should be pretty easy to construct.

Agree. Even with the worker pause from Covid, it seems excruciatingly slow for a construction project. Do they have one person for each job category?!

Agree. Even with the worker pause from Covid, it seems excruciatingly slow for a construction project. Do they have one person for each job category?!

Well, technically, TRON isn't being built, it's being programmed! 😉 They need more coders to sit at their desks. Alan Bradley could probably knock it out pretty quickly though.

The construction department for TRON looks like this:

🤣

It took a little over 18 months to build the Pentagon in 1941 and at the time it was the largest office building in the world. It took over a decade to do refurbishing in the 2000's. Of course there was the massive damage caused by the Sep 11th attack, but still it took much longer to refurbish than it took to build. It is very strange when you consider the increase in automation and new technologies for building since the 1940's. Much of it is caused by Government red tape of course, but perhaps we just don't work as hard as we used to.
I don't think it's strange at all.

The Pentagon renovation project was infinitely more complex than was its construction for three reasons: it was occupied during renovation, it involved complex IT and security systems that did not exist when the original structure was built, and like most renovation projects, at least half the work was in demolishing and disposing of the existing structure materials.

I am certain the EPCOT re-do would be far quicker if Disney had closed the park entirely to accommodate the work. But they chose not to (and I'm glad).

You make a fair point that Disney isn't just sitting around doing nothing and has opened a bit, but you are underselling Universal here as well. Looking at the last 5 years (2017-Now) universal has opened a brand new water park, 2 e ticket rollercoasters (Velocicoaster & Hagrid's), Race Through New York, Fast & Furious Supercharged, & a new nighttime spectacular. They also have another attraction currently under construction with the Shrek replacement, which should open by the time Tron is open, if not before Guardians. As well as an entire new park currently going up slated to open within the next 3 years with an expanded transportation system and alterations to multiple city roads to accommodate the expanded system. So Universal has had a lot more going on than simply 2 roller coasters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter