can you explain opening procedures at SW for me please?

TigerLaw

DIS Veteran
My girlfriend and I will be visiting SW for the first time next month and I want to clear up some confusion I have regarding the park. If official opening time is 9 am, what parts of the park open later? I have read conflicting info that the shamu side of the park opens later or that kraken and JTA open later as well, so if anyone could clear this up, I would greatly appreciate it!

Also, while I have you here... if anyone can give some insights into how they would attack the opening hours given the above info request, that would be great too!

The park officially opens at 9am. They let people in to the first part (gift shop area, maps, photographers) at 08:45am. At 9am the national anthem plays and they drop the ropes. Stay to the left path. Kraken and JTA are located at the back of the park. On non busy days, they wait until 10am before opening up the back and the polar bear side. If it's not open, you'll see ropes with a CM standing there.
Not to worry. If this is the case, go feed the dolphins and stingrays, located in the Key West area. You'll pass it on your way to the rides on the left.
The best way to attack SWF is to be there at 08:30, be in the park at 08:45am, and then head to the rides at 09:00am.
Do JTA, and Kraken. You'll get walkon rides. The dolphin show is next to the rides and usually starts at 10am, Clyde and Seamore, eat an early lunch at 11am to avoid the lines, Shamu, polar bear, feed dolphins, manatee, and whatever.
The only way you would know if the back part will be open at 09:00am is to call ahead and ask.
You didn't say if you're going on a weekend, or weekday. October is not that crowded. And SWF is not like SFStl. After you do the two rides, the rest is getting to shows 20 minutes early which is easy.
However, the kids are out of school October 17th and 18th. If you go during the week any other day, crowds will be light in the morning, picking up in the afternoon.

thanks robvia for the insights!

As of now, we are planning on going sunday, october 20th. All we have set for now is we are doing the shamu dinner (lunch is up in the air)

will it be possible to get multiple rides in on kraken on a sunday at open or do you think that's pushing it in terms of the other attractions?

The 20th should be fine, kids being of school won't matter.
Yes, you'll get lot's of rides on Kraken if you get there first thing. Being a Sunday, I'm sure they'll open the back of the park at 9am.
The only problem is that they sometimes only start with 1 train for the first hour on non busy days. But being a Sunday, hopefully they'll start with 2. I wrote them a letter about this.
JTA has longer waits, so do it twice, then walk over to Kraken.
The crowd doesn't get back there until 10am, so you'll have some time to do a few rides.

On the Shamu dinner, I've heard that you make your reservations next to the map station as you enter the park. Do this first, and ask for a rail seat so you're right up next to the tank.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter