• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Can you please educate me regarding "GAC"

lurontravel

Mouseketeer
I've been reading this board b/c my mom is losing mobility that she had regained after being paralyzed almost 50 years ago in an automobile accident. We love to go to WDW MNSSHP with my parents and children every year, and I don't want them to have to stop b/c of her loss of mobility. It is very difficult for her to walk (she drags her foot) when she is tired. She does go to PT and now is starting OT as well, has a physiatrist, and a neurologist, etc. etc. How might a "GAC" help her? What specifically can they do (this is providing that she is even willing to get a GAC). She is now dependent upon a cane, or she pushes the kids stroller when it is empty. My mom is (thus far) refusing to use a wc or ecv. She doesn't want "special treatment", but it is getting to the point where she needs it. I feel that if she needs it to be able to enjoy herself, she should have it. My boys love going to MNSSHP every year with their nana and papa, it's a tradition that we all go to WDW to celebrate their b-days and Halloween together.
Thanks.
Laura

Hi and welcome to disABILITIES!

If you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. The third item down is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information, including about GACs and where people rent ECVs.

Please ask the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are travelling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

I agree with Cheshire Figment.
She may be able to get around enough to not use a wheelchair or ECV in her "outside" life, but WDW is not the same. It is way too far and she will spend all her energy getting from place to place instead of enjoying herself.
Think of energy like a bank account - if she "spends" it all just getting around, she won't have any left to have fun with. Also, the more energy she uses, the more time she will have to spend putting energy back into the "energy bank".

If she uses a wheelchair or ECV, she will probably not get a lot of Special Treatment - people are sometimes afraid that they will be whisked to the front of all the lines. But, most of the lines are wheelchair/ECV accessible and she will need less special treatment if she is using a wheelchair or ECV.

Depending on your mom, you might want to tell her just what you said here and let her know that you can see how hard it is for her and would like to make things easier:
"My boys love going to MNSSHP every year with their nana and papa, it's a tradition that we all go to WDW to celebrate their b-days and Halloween together. "

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter