Can you put a wheelchair outside a ride then go in

Belle1997

I married a beast and found my prince
Hi all,

I was wondering if one could rent a wheelchair but leave it outside a ride. I was diagnosed with fibro 20 years ago. But I am having different symptoms that are different then fibro. Think I may have been misdianogised .Finding it hard to walk for a long time due to weak muscles and spasms when over worked. Doctor is checking into this. My concern is I will not be able to walk all day around the park but I have the mobility to get on rides. So is there a place like where the stollers are to left for a wheelchair and get into the regular queue.

Thanks for you help

Yup! You are welcome to do this. I spent a few of my trips in a wheelchair after surgery to remove a tumor from my T-5 vertebra (benign thank God).

I was completely mobile, but couldn't handle all that walking for days on end. So DH pushed me in a wheelchair when we went to the parks, generally around the resort I didn't need or use one. I would get out at the ride and we'd leave the chair. We tied a bright scarf to it, and I had a pillow for lumbar support that we left in it. Never had a problem with it going missing.

I did get a few looks and comments from ignorant people saying I looked healthy enough--I offered to show them my surgical scars if they ahd a problem.

Anne

Yes! Just park it with the strollers. I did this last time I was at WDW. I didn't know to park it with the strollers and panicked when I couldn't find it after exiting the ride. The CM had moved it over to the strollers and told me that was where I should park it.
I have Chairi Malformation I, which can be misdiagnosed as Fibro, and can be hard to get diagnosed correctly. It took 13 years for me to be diagnosed!

Just note that sometimes the CM's move the strollers (and wheelchairs) around so you may come out and not find it exactly where you left it! We've never had them move it too far away but sometimes there are many groupings of strollers so it might take some looking to find yours.

Also note that some rides have a really long que area or perhaps could present some difficulty because of walking up ramps and stairs - especially if you have a fast pass and there isn't a line ahead of you - then the folks behind tend to get annoyed if you aren't practically running through the attraction. The ones that come to mind are Soarin, BTMRR, Space Mountain (which is also VERY dark in the que), ToT, and probably others.

I was just thinking that I can understand that you have the mobility to get on rides but there still can be a lot of walking (and standing) in the lines - whether FP lines or regular ones which some might find difficult. The Soarin que seems especially long to me (FP or stand by) so keep that in mind! You might consider taking the WC with you on those lines but you can see how it works for you! :thumbsup2

I have my own wheelchair and I have been allowed to leave my wheelchair at the exit or right next to where they operate the ride. I don't know what they do if you rent but that has been my experience.

maroon5gurl88 said:
I have my own wheelchair and I have been allowed to leave my wheelchair at the exit or right next to where they operate the ride. I don't know what they do if you rent but that has been my experience.
That is the normal situation when you bring a wheelchair (your own or rented) into line with you. The wheelchair can be used until the baording area and then left there. If the boarding area and the exit are far apart, then the wheelchair boarding is often moved to the exit.

As the others already answered, a wheelchair or ECV can be left with the strollers if you choose to walk in line.
As selket mentioned, it's a good idea to be aware of how far the distance you must walk in line is. Some of the attractions might have a short wait (either thru the Standby Line or if you have a fastpass), but the distance from the entrance to the boarding area is a long way. So, it's a good idea to ask the CM before getting into line.
Some of the other attractions with long lines are Bug's Life and the Safari at AK.

ducklite said:
Yup! You are welcome to do this. I spent a few of my trips in a wheelchair after surgery to remove a tumor from my T-5 vertebra (benign thank God).

I was completely mobile, but couldn't handle all that walking for days on end. So DH pushed me in a wheelchair when we went to the parks, generally around the resort I didn't need or use one. I would get out at the ride and we'd leave the chair. We tied a bright scarf to it, and I had a pillow for lumbar support that we left in it. Never had a problem with it going missing.

I did get a few looks and comments from ignorant people saying I looked healthy enough--I offered to show them my surgical scars if they ahd a problem.

Anne

I have the same exact problem...I had a football sized tumor(unfortunately malignant) removed from my posterior thigh. I can walk short distances fine, but have difficulty standing for long periods and walking long distances.
I brought a wheel chair last year on our trip, and felt very uncomfortable getting out of my wheel chair to board the ride, and not even walk with a limp. I felt like people were staring. Also have this problem when I park in a handicap spot with my official tag. I feel like I need to say: "want to see my foot long scar on the back of my leg?"
I will be bringing my chair along this year as it was a life(and trip) saver last year.
There were good points here about the long walks on lines and that it is a good idea to stay in the chair until the boarding of the ride. Last year, there would have been no way I could have made it through the soarin' line if I wasn't in a wheel chair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter