• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Can you really lose benefits for something like this?

AuntTink

Mouseketeer
I am so upset! I have friends that have a older child with autism and his older brother is in the army. The older brother just finished a tour of duty in Iraq and was deployed to Germany. His mom wanted to see him, so they took the older child out of school for their 10 day trip to Germany. He is in a life skills class not academic classes so she figured that he could miss school. When they got back, he went to school and he came home quoting "and he's on medicaid" which he said was from his teacher.

I think they have every right to save their money and go to Germany to see their son who has been fighting for our country in Iraq.

But now, she is afraid that she will somehow lose benefits for him - especially the program that will take care of him when they have passed away. I told her I didn't think this could happen. She said their are all sorts of cuts being made. I said, if you qualify for those programs, you qualify. Taking a trip does not make you not qualify.

How this relates to Disney is she is canceling our trip next October because of this. I am just sick.:sick:

I can't believe how petty this teacher was. I wish my friend would not worry, but I know how important that program is to his future. I just can't see how they can take away something you qualify for, just because you take a trip.

Any advice for her or me?

The first thing I would do is have a meeting with that teacher and his/her superiors including people from the school board. It is unacceptable for a teacher to talk about things of this nature. It is nobody's business who is on medicaid (an I am sure he/she was complaining to someone that the family could afford such a trip with the child "being on medicaid"). Maybe the family got special deals since their son just came off a tour of duty. And, the staff should never make comments like this in front of any child. Like I said, nobody's business and medicaid and social security qualify you off your income (taxes) so you can't get past that qualifier very easily. I know, I have a disabled child and have been unsuccessful in getting him ANY benefits and we are basically broke due to all his health care on private insurance (co-pays and such) and people I know have SCHIP for their kids because they don't want to pay for private health insurance and their kids 100% free healthcare equal to what we pay for.

Yes the teacher violated about 100 rules and standards.

bookwormde

We have medicaid for our two children with autism because they are a part of a medicaid waiver that helps us with respite services. If you get the respite services you have to have the medicaid. It has nothing to do with our income and we have regular BCBS insurance on them as well. I suppose this program we are in can end because of budget cuts but that has nothing to do with our income or trips we take.

It sounds to me like a nosy/jealous teacher. I would sit down with her and explain the situation and make sure she understands that this is none of her business.

Hugs

Thank you all for your words of comfort and advise. I did share them with her. She is very reluctant to even bring up the subject or ask questions (even anonomously). She is fearful it will bring attention to that trip and he will lose his benefits. Her husband and I have both told her she is living in fear and we want her to satisfy herself that this cannot happen by asking questions.

All of his benefits are because he is over 18 now and he qualifies on his own for these programs, irrespective of his parents income or trips. They are a middle income family. But she's got it into her head that they have to act as if they have nothing because of his getting help. It just really breaks my heart. I wish I could do or say something that would help, but the fear just seems to overpower her.

Is she sure that the child was talking about himself???

Our good friend's son is autistic and I know that context is not a skill he understands. He often just repeats ANYTHING. The converstation could have been about anyone.

I agree it could have been about anyone. None the less it should not have been said. She had these fears before she even left. She wanted to go see her son in the army, but she was backing out of it at the last minute. Her husband forced her to go. Those comments no matter who they were about fed right into her fears.

She said his case worker came to the door and asked her about it. She had called the case worker before going but she didn't leave a message and the case worker didn't get back with her before going. On quizzing her, the case worker didn't say any more about it other than to confirm what her child said about going to Germany. Of course I was not there to see if there was any attitude displayed about it, but she feels like everyone doesn't think he should go anywhere if he gets benefits.

She does not think that people are happy for you when you get to do something like this, but that they resent you and want to tear you down in some way. Her upbringing has a lot to do with this perception I think. So please don't think badly of her. She really is a nice woman and would not think this way of someone else going on a trip.

I really think this comes down to her fear and the only way she is going to get over it is to ask questions in order to check if her perceptions are reality or just fear. And even if other people like the teacher do feel that way, she needs to see that they can do nothing to take away her son's benefits.

This is really awful, because she already told her son about the trip to Disney and he is so looking forward to it. He loves everything Disney. And none of them have ever been. She does not even want to go Spring Break. And neither of us want to go in the summer because of the heat - I have a skin condition where I cant be outside in that kind of heat for long periods of time.

She said she is going to ask the questions, but not now. I know her - she is a procrastinator to the extreme - when she says but not now, it often means never. It's just her way of getting you off her back. Sort of like some teens do. I'll just have to pray that she does get the courage to ask.

Two issues to work through - how reliable is this info, coming from a student with autism (as a PP stated, lots can be repeated out of context - one student told me to "shut up", and I wasn't even talking, and he was repeating stuff he had heard at home, not at school) Does this student have the ability to understand what is being said, and to whom? Could two random sentences have been strung together and the mom interpreted this to mean something that wasn't even said? Sounds like she has issues about this situation already, and so what was said was playing into her thought process.

Second - if she believes she has a solid case that the teacher did say this, and she wants to pursue correction, what would her goal be? Does she just want it to be discussed, does she want a meeting with the principal, does she want the student moved to another class, another school, etc?

Sorry, I didn't even answer the original question - unless the benefits are due to an income situation, not a disability situation, then no, he cannot lose his benefits.

I don't know if it varies by state, but in PA Medicaid is based on the diagnosis and the recipient's income. Since this young man is autistic and, I assume this because he's in school, not earning a whole lot each year his parents' income is not a consideration.

1 - this mother really needs to talk to her son's social worker and get a complete understanding on what would/could jeopardize his receiving benefits. If she doesn't want to bring up the already taken trip to Germany, she could bring up the planned trip to Disney - that she's heard a rumor that if she takes her son on vacation, he'll lose his benefits. She'll feel a lot better as the social worker is picking himself off the floor from laughing away that rediculous notion! My son receives Medicaid (diagnosed ADHD at age 5) and you can see by my sig that we've gone to Disney a few times with absolutely no retribution from Medicaid.

2 - that teacher needs to be talked to! That was completely inappropriate for her to say it so that it could be overheard. It's none of his/her business how this boy receives his health insurance. :mad: It's his/her problem if he/she actually has an issue with a parent taking her disabled son on a trip to see his older brother who's in the flipping military for goodness sake!

3 - please tell mom to find a way to deal with her insecurities. There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of in her son receiving Medicaid. She's doing what needs to be done to ensure that her son is able to get the proper care he very much needs. Vacations (emotional/mental release, family bonding, life experiences) shouldn't need to be defended!

I don't know if it varies by state, but in PA Medicaid is based on the diagnosis and the recipient's income. Since this young man is autistic and, I assume this because he's in school, not earning a whole lot each year his parents' income is not a consideration.

This is what I understood as well.

Medicaid is based solely on the recipient's earned income. As an 18 yo, the "child" is examined based on his needs and income. He also cannot own more than a set amount in his name. (Or is that just SSI?)

What the parents earn or own is irrelevant. In fact, when caring for special needs kids parents often setup special needs trusts to provide for their children after the parents' death and NOT disqualifying the child for needed services under the means testing. i.e. A Special Needs Trust can provide a child's housing, extraneous needs, even transportation and vacation while the child's income remains low enough to qualify him for public services such as Medicaid, SSI, food stamps, etc.

It sounds like the mom and teacher need a remedial education on the rules governing these services.

First of all, I'm in the process of applying for SSI for my autistic son and will be the Representative Payee. According to what I've read, taking my son on trips (after providing food, shelter, etc.) is a good thing. A bad thing would be taking trips with his SS money and leaving him home to eat gruel. IOW, no one expects people who recieve SS, Medicaire, Medicaid, etc., to stay home and sweep the cinders, nor are their family members.

Maybe you could do a Google search on situations that could make someone lose their benefits, then print out the info for your friend. Seeing it in black and white may help, but she also needs to remember these benefits are for her son and are meant enrich his life. She's doing nothing wrong.

I work for an agency that serves special needs adults and they go on vacation ALL the time. We staff are aware that they receive medicaid and its a GOOD thing they do because Medicaid pays for their program, transportation to program, and medical issues to keep them healthy and happy. Their medicaid pays us to take care of them. No he cant lose it because his parents can afford to take him with them.. sounds like the teacher is just feeling sourgrapes and forgetting how medicaid puts food on her own table.

Her son is on a high income medicaid meant for medically needy people I suspect but I understand there is still a roof to hit.. I imagine a trip to Germany especially in this situation is understood and expected. People who are used to working around autism and other special needs folks know or should know that we need the medicaid. The copays with BCBS on our plan are about $600 just for my son's therapies every month. Add in ped and other visits and it just starts rising.

Also I would like to point out airfare to Germany is not so expensive if you play your cards right. It is all major airports which have lots of competition between airlines. That makes tickets cheap.

My first reaction on reading about this woman is that she suffers from anxiety in a big way and is seizing on something that might or might not have been said in order to avoid taking a trip.

My mom is like this - many of our family vacations or events were cancelled because my mom didn't want to leave what she was comfortable with - her world became smaller and smaller until she wouldn't leave the house anymore.

Avoidance is the best friend of depression.

I have no idea about Medicaid - I'm Canadian. But I do know that Disney World was a great vacation for my autistic nephew last year and it did him and his family a world of good. I hope that this trip happens for you and your friend.

Her son is on a high income medicaid meant for medically needy people I suspect but I understand there is still a roof to hit.. I imagine a trip to Germany especially in this situation is understood and expected. People who are used to working around autism and other special needs folks know or should know that we need the medicaid. The copays with BCBS on our plan are about $600 just for my son's therapies every month. Add in ped and other visits and it just starts rising.

Also I would like to point out airfare to Germany is not so expensive if you play your cards right. It is all major airports which have lots of competition between airlines. That makes tickets cheap.

Each state may have different rules. But, most often if the child is using a Medicaid Waiver, the state "waives" looking at the parent's income completely. The paperwork only confirms the child meets the income and asset standards (usually can have no more than $2000 in assets to include any savings accounts, life insurance policies, collectibles, etc.).
As long as the child meets the requirements, the parents can have any income. It is not considered at all.

If Medicaid is obtained through the waiver, ignore the teacher. She doesn't get it.

If Medicaid is traditional and based on what the parents earn and have, that's a different story. However, it won't affect him as an adult (provided he meets the need, income and asset limitations).

She said his case worker came to the door and asked her about it. She had called the case worker before going but she didn't leave a message and the case worker didn't get back with her before going. On quizzing her, the case worker didn't say any more about it other than to confirm what her child said about going to Germany.
If I am reading this right the case worker did not know why the boy didn't show up for the time he was gone. It would make sense to check on his wellbeing to make sure he was okay.

please tell mom to find a way to deal with her insecurities. There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of in her son receiving Medicaid.
I agree. She sounds like a very nice person who may be just a little too sensitive about what people "might" think.

I have two friends with severely disabled (CP mental and physical and Down Syndrome) older sons. One in the northeast and one in Louisiana. These families are truly WEALTHY - like live in mansions kind of wealth.

But I think both families have been very responsible with enabling their grown sons to live independently. One lives in a group home and the other lives in an apartment that has a life coach on staff. Both receive ss and medicare/medicaid benefits.

The parents have set up small trusts also. One father is deceased and the mother is in her 80s and not in good health. The other couple is in their mid-60s. But they all realized that they would not be around forever and that independence (as much as possible) is really a good thing. Both men have jobs that they are very proud of.

How does the teacher know that this trip was not a gift from a realative. I'm guessing that no one went to the school bragging about how much they paid for the trip. ANyway I think it's tack for people to assume things and to talk about it in front of a child none the less. I would not worry about it all. A couple a church who get SSI go on a cruise every year and they got questioned one time ( after a jealouse person called in a complaint). THey checked the income and they showed in a savings account where they save every month for the trip and the case was closed and they still get a check every month.

Thank you all for your words of comfort and advise. I did share them with her. She is very reluctant to even bring up the subject or ask questions (even anonomously). She is fearful it will bring attention to that trip and he will lose his benefits. Her husband and I have both told her she is living in fear and we want her to satisfy herself that this cannot happen by asking questions.

All of his benefits are because he is over 18 now and he qualifies on his own for these programs, irrespective of his parents income or trips. They are a middle income family. But she's got it into her head that they have to act as if they have nothing because of his getting help. It just really breaks my heart. I wish I could do or say something that would help, but the fear just seems to overpower her.

I didn't read this post carefully. The "child" is over 18.
Tell the mom to relax. Her finances are no longer in play. Her son won't lose his benefits. He is an adult. I'm sure it is hard to view him that way, but it's true.

However, I would strongly advise her to meet an attorney to set up a special needs trust. Inheritances, life insurance beneficiary, etc. even if it isn't much can mess up benefits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter