Can you rent strollers?

autmom

Earning My Ears
We are making our first trip to WDW next week. My son has autism, and is a runner. I would love to be able to put him in a stroller and use it as a wheelchair, in order to keep him from wandering off and making a scene, but we do not own one. Does WDW have them available to rent? I'm really worried about how this is going to work, because he refuses to let you hold his hand, and he is non-verbal, and will not come to you when called. So . . . if he gets away from me, I'll NEVER find him! Any info and tips would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Hi. We have some frequent posters who have children with autism or autism spectrum that I am sure will be along to help you out.
You can rent strollers from WDW and there are lots of psotings indicating that even bigger kids of up to 8 years old will fit in them quite well. I don't know if they have seats belts, which might be important to you.
I'm sure that teri will be one of the people who responds to your question. She has a link in her signature that leads to FAQs, including hints for how to deal with an autistic child at WDW. You can also get a Guest Assistance Card that would allow you to use a stroller as a wheelchair. That means you would be able to bring the stroller into shows and buildings that don't normally allow strollers.

Well, you can rent strollers in the parks, and they should be just big enough. You can't take the strollers out of the parks, though, and getting back to the resort can be as much work as being in the parks. If you are staying onsite, you might inquire at the resort about using one of the resort wheelchairs which are available on a first-come basis. You can take that to the parks and back. They don't do that with strollers. If he is a runner, like mine was, you might want to keep a harness, or a fanny-pack with a tether (I used a bungee cord, worked great) to keep him safe. We also use a child-find unit, an alarm with a remote that you can use if your child disappears in a crowd and you need to locate him. (My little guy does that less now, thank goodness, although it still happens.)

Be sure to check out the FAQ, you will need a GAC.

Thanks for the info! We are staying at the Contemporary Resort. I'll inquire if there's an available wheelchair. In case there's not, how much are the strollers to rent? And can you buy those tethers you're talking about? I've seen them, but we don't have one, and I don't know where to get one (haven't seen them in stores, just on some kids). Thanks much!

They sell the harnesses as baby/kid stores, although those tend to be small. Those nylon tethers can really hurt your hands if your kid pulls or drops, as in a tantrum, so we prefer a bungee cord - less harsh for both of us. We now use a little fanny pack which has his child find locator inside and a name tag on the front. If I use a tether, which now is less often, I use a 4-foot bungee cord tied around his fanny pack.

I think the park strollers were $6, and the Wheelchairs were $7 after deposit return. ??

I know it seems like a hassle, but bring your own stroller. It will be familiar to him/her. The harness/leash thing doesn't work if he decides to sit down & it's hard to hold/carry a tantrumming child onto a crowded bus. I don't know where you are staying, but it's probably a hike to your room too. After a busy day in the park, they will be sleepy or sleeping & you will be too tired to carry them TRUST ME!
It's also good to have a stroller in the airport too. Most airlines allow you to use special handling. (They put the stroller on just as you are getting on the plane) This helps keep a hand free & you will know where at least one child is at all times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter