Can you still take a rest at the first aid centers in the park?

Bete

DIS Veteran
I remember pre-Covid you were allowed to even take a nap if there was a good reason you needed to for a short while.

Is this possible now?

I would think unless you had some medical issues, and in need of first aid, no. Its not meant to be used for napping. Disney pays to have RNs on sight for "first aid care". If you feel you need to nap, just head back to the resort, enjoy a visit to a sit down a\c attraction. Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents are just examples.

I remember pre-Covid you were allowed to even take a nap if there was a good reason you needed to for a short while.

Is this possible now?

Historically, I believe if you said that you needed to lie down to rest a bit because of ... (insert your condition here) *and* they had the space available, there was no pushback on the request. I have (in the past, pre-pandemic) gone in and asked to lie down with an ice pack for swelling of my knees due to arthritis, and they happily accommodated me every time, except once when they simply did not have a cot available. They did offer me a small partially enclosed area, set me up with some chairs and pillows to help elevate my legs, and ice packs (and generic Tylenol) and then brought over a chair so that one of my family members could sit with me. They apologized to me (several times) about the makeshift nature of my accommodations, but I assured them that I appreciated just being able to get some relief!

I imagine that has not changed, however I did just go over to the "First Aid" page at the WDW website, and noticed that it now says

First Aid
Presented by AdventHealth

So, I don't know if that means that AdventHealth is running the 4 First Aid stations in the Parks, or if they are just somehow "sponsoring" them?

If an outside vendor is now running the First Aid centers, that might mean a change in how things are handled. If they have been running them all along, and the addition of their "sponsorship" or stewardship is just now being made prominent on Disney's website, then I would presume that things are still the same.

Now I'm curious!

Is this possible now?
Wouldn’t you think that the First Aid Centers are to be used exactly as the title suggests? First aid, meducal treatment. Taking a rest or a nap I don’t believe qualifies. There are many people who might need those services urgently😒

If you just need to rest there are relaxation zones all over the parks right now where you can sit in the shade (mask free) for awhile. If you’re actually wanting to lay down and sleep you should head back to your resort.

I think most people responding are missing the OP's "if there was a good reason you needed to" which would clearly indicate that they were speaking of being there for a first aid related reason, such as a flare up of a medical condition, dehydration, etc.

So, I think based on the OPs description, we can safely assume there is a legitimate medical need for the use. The question becomes is it allowed still when there is a need?

Historically, I believe if you said that you needed to lie down to rest a bit because of ... (insert your condition here) *and* they had the space available, there was no pushback on the request. I have (in the past, pre-pandemic) gone in and asked to lie down with an ice pack for swelling of my knees due to arthritis, and they happily accommodated me every time, except once when they simply did not have a cot available. They did offer me a small partially enclosed area, set me up with some chairs and pillows to help elevate my legs, and ice packs (and generic Tylenol) and then brought over a chair so that one of my family members could sit with me. They apologized to me (several times) about the makeshift nature of my accommodations, but I assured them that I appreciated just being able to get some relief!

I imagine that has not changed, however I did just go over to the "First Aid" page at the WDW website, and noticed that it now says

First Aid

So, I don't know if that means that AdventHealth is running the 4 First Aid stations in the Parks, or if they are just somehow "sponsoring" them?

If an outside vendor is now running the First Aid centers, that might mean a change in how things are handled. If they have been running them all along, and the addition of their "sponsorship" or stewardship is just now being made prominent on Disney's website, then I would presume that things are still the same.

Now I'm curious!
I'm also curious now if they are run by or sponsored by a third party. I'm thinking maybe run by them since they are the same company doing the temperature checks.

I think most people responding are missing the OP's "if there was a good reason you needed to" which would clearly indicate that they were speaking of being there for a first aid related reason, such as a flare up of a medical condition, dehydration, etc.

So, I think based on the OPs description, we can safely assume there is a legitimate medical need for the use. The question becomes is it allowed still when there is a need?

Is this possible now?
OP didnt say anything about medical needs just about naps

OP didnt say anything about medical needs just about naps
I see it right there, plain as day and you just quoted the OP. The OP said "if there was a good reason you needed to", that would naturally imply for first aid purposes since we are discussing first aid stations. It is clear the OP knows you can't go there to nap just because you are tired, but there is a legitimate medical reason. Could they have made it clearer? Maybe, but it isn't necessary, as the title provides the context for what they are asking.

But another way to word this would have been if they had said:
I remember pre-Covid you were allowed to take a nap in first aid, if you needed to for a medical reason, (such as recovering from feeling ill after riding Mission Space.)

Is this possible now?
The example I am using is a real example of why I needed to once, there are many other valid examples, but really an example isn't needed. This is one though that would make sense to ask, as technically you could go back to your room, especially if staying on property, but if you laid down for a few, you might feel better and enjoy the rest of the day.

Aside from the specific example, the meaning is the same as what the OP asked.

I would never take a spot needed for emergency.

Right - I bet most everyone here would never do that!

But true medical emergencies at WDW are handled by Reedy Creek - they arrive very quickly, asses the patient, and transport them to off-site hospital care if needed.

The First Aid Centers have historically been for dispensing band-aids and generic Tylenol; they also have cots for people who need to lie down for short periods of time (like, for example, to recover from nausea caused by a ride, or to rest arthritic knees with an ice pack). They have facilities for folks who need other special assistance (like if a caregiver needs to change an adult's incontinence wear, or if someone needs a place to take special medication, etc.

The last time I was in the EPCOT First Aid station, there was a gentleman who they had allowed to "rest" for more than 2 hours because it was slower in First Aid that day. They told me that I could stay as long as I liked, or until they needed my spot. (Admittedly, this was pre-pandemic)

But based on my experiences with them, they would always have room or make room for an emergency in the First Aid center, and if that meant moving someone out who was "just resting" they would.

If you need to rest, head back to your hotel room. Much more comfortable and out of the way of other people and germs you don’t want to be around. (Even pre Covid, you don’t want to be in First Aid, Urgent Care or ER’s unless medically necessary)

First Aid

Now I'm curious!
NOTE: this is NOT a new relationship. Advent Health was previously known as Florida Health/Florida Hospital.
Florida Hospital provided First Aid Services at WDW and also ran Celebration Hospital for many years. The park maps listed “First Aid Presented by Florida Hospital”. Sorry - no matter how I turn the picture, it is added upside down Or sideways
91D18A16-8CFE-4843-8CC5-0C7558121A09.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter