Can you upgrade to annual pass still

borgthe

DIS Veteran
My daughter is heading there next week. She has a 7 day park hopper and wants to upgrade to gold dvc annual pass. Do you think that will be allowed?

My daughter is heading there next week. She has a 7 day park hopper and wants to upgrade to gold dvc annual pass. Do you think that will be allowed?
Reports are mixed.
She can certainly try.

According to the CM I talked to the other day, she said at this time AP's are not being sold. I verified this by going to WDW AP sight and there is no link to buy any.

That stinks because she is going in August also and will have to spend a ridiculous amount of extra money.

As PP said, new AP's aren't being sold. Even the page on the Disney site with information regarding upgrading park tickets to AP's has been taken down. But I visited a cached version of the site to give you information regarding upgrading to an AP for when new AP sales do return:

If you have purchased an eligible valid theme park ticket, you can apply the price of the ticket toward the cost of an annual pass.

Upgrading Your Ticket

• Multi-Day Ticket: Upgrade through the last day of use for your ticket entitlements
How to Upgrade
Use the My Disney Experience app or visit any Walt Disney World Resort theme park ticket window or Guest Relations location.

When upgrading through the app, first link your tickets by tapping “My Tickets”.

It makes perfect sense to not sell them. They want/need new $ coming in and regular tickets is the best way. If they have to shut down again they do not want to go through the BIG headache of dealing with all the APs again.
Hope your DD has a safe time. I just got done cancelling our family APs and Sept. trip.

But I visited a cached version of the site

I'm not sure I'd bank on them honoring google cache as official policy. I used the wayback machine and found one-day tickets for $38.50!

As for the actual question, my hunch is they can't do it if new APs aren't being sold. That said, you could always ask at guest services when you get there. Worst they can say is no. 🤷‍♂️

It makes perfect sense to not sell them. They want/need new $ coming in and regular tickets is the best way. If they have to shut down again they do not want to go through the BIG headache of dealing with all the APs again.
Hope your DD has a safe time. I just got done cancelling our family APs and Sept. trip.

Right, the problem is that they can't honor them under the terms they were originally sold with the park reservation system. The free month or refund options are an attempt to mitigate that. I suspect they won't sell new ones until they come up with a workaround for that situation.

Also, they may not want more APs in the system right now. I suspect that's part of it, too.

I'm not sure I'd bank on them honoring google cache as official policy. I used the wayback machine and found one-day tickets for $38.50!

As for the actual question, my hunch is they can't do it if new APs aren't being sold. That said, you could always ask at guest services when you get there. Worst they can say is no. 🤷‍♂️
No, I know. I was just providing info on how to upgrade once AP sales do begin again since you can't find it on the website as of now. The info was still up, I want to say, last week or so? So they must've just taken it down in the past week or so.

I sent an email to DVC Member Services the day basic tickets went back on sale, asking whether we could upgrade our DVC Gold tickets to Platinum to cover the blackout dates during our scheduled December visit. Several days later I received a polite email response basically saying they weren't selling APs right now and therefore we couldn't upgrade. Sigh. Still hoping to upgrade in time for the trip - it would be much cheaper than buying basic tickets for those days!

I sent an email to DVC Member Services the day basic tickets went back on sale, asking whether we could upgrade our DVC Gold tickets to Platinum to cover the blackout dates during our scheduled December visit. Several days later I received a polite email response basically saying they weren't selling APs right now and therefore we couldn't upgrade. Sigh. Still hoping to upgrade in time for the trip - it would be much cheaper than buying basic tickets for those days!

I suspect they'll be available by December. Also, the guest services windows at the park are like airline gate agents in that they have super powers that nobody else (customer facing) in their organizations has. Thus, it's always good to ask them even if you're denied through other channels.

I suspect they'll be available by December. Also, the guest services windows at the park are like airline gate agents in that they have super powers that nobody else (customer facing) in their organizations has. Thus, it's always good to ask them even if you're denied through other channels.
Yeah, we'll be offsite in November (we hope) and if we haven't been able to upgrade before (or if an equally affordable option hasn't been offered by then) we'll try at GR during that visit. And we'll keep trying! Buying basic tickets will be the last resort. At least the rest of our family has their tickets and park pass reservations for the trip; hopefully we'll be able to match them, no matter what admission media we're using.

We were at Disneyworld last week. My husband and I have AP's, DD had a 4 day ticket. I stopped at Guest services on the way into MK on Monday, July 13 and asked if I could upgrade her ticket to an AP. Answer was no, they are not selling AP's at this time. Asked if they thought I may be able to apply the cost of this ticket to an AP after we use the ticket. Answer, not normally but you could ask when AP are being sold again. I was disappointed. This was one more point on the side of "don't go" for our scheduled Thanksgiving trip.

This really bums me out. I just returned from a 7 day trip with a daily park pass that I was hoping to upgrade to an AP since we're going back in October. There seems to be more and more reasons why I should cancel my October trip. It's even been crossing my mind to sell my DVC, and I never thought that would happen.

Agree Teresa. Disney is not handling this fairly and is alienating a lot of long term customers.

Yup, similar story here. Tried for an AP upgrade (from silver to gold) even after booking an expensive Contemporary Resort stay for this upcoming weekend to try and get into the Magic Kingdom during our stay.

I really do not understand why people are having such a hard time understanding why WDW is not selling AP's:confused3. It makes perfect sense, like Scubacat mentioned, if they cannot honor 100% of the contract, like park hopping etc. then they open themselves up to a lot of lawsuits. Look how fast people filed a lawsuit over the billing mistake that happened, plus I read that there is a possibility of a class action lawsuit for how WDW handled the AP refunds etc.

I really do not understand why people are having such a hard time understanding why WDW is not selling AP's:confused3. It makes perfect sense, like Scubacat mentioned, if they cannot honor 100% of the contract, like park hopping etc. then they open themselves up to a lot of lawsuits. Look how fast people filed a lawsuit over the billing mistake that happened, plus I read that there is a possibility of a class action lawsuit for how WDW handled the AP refunds etc.
I agree. I think at this point Disney is basically trying to get things "off their balance sheet". They get DVC open, they start getting people to start using their points. Every day the parks are open, they are clicking off days to burn off the existing annual passes. I do not think there will be annual pass sales for a while.

I had pre-purchased annual passes. We go next week. So my annual pass year has not even started yet. And how long will it be good for once activated. 12 months, 13 months, will there be another shutdown? Will they still have a reservation system when we have an off-site trip in January. Will I be able to get a reservation? What is an annual pass if I cannot get in?

I am not flipping out, just going with with the flow. Can't get upset about what you cannot control. but I do think that is why they are not selling tickets yet, nor will they for quite some time.

We shall see...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter