• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can you use an AP discount if you don’t have an AP until checkout day?

herrmannpt

Mouseketeer
We are going in July with a total of 7 people. Planning to take advantage of the 3 + 2 day free ticket deal with Volcano Bay. I’m noticing the good AP hotel discounts so I’m wondering if I book 2 rooms on an AP discount can I wait to produce an active AP on check out day and still get that rate?
Will I need 2 annual passes or is one enough to book 2 rooms? Can I upgrade my ticket that includes Volcano Bay to a 2 Park Seasonal AP? Will they let me do that since July is technically a black out time? It would be the most cost effective and it won’t matter since our park days will be finished. Appreciate any feedback!

IME you cannot upgrade to a 2 park AP once you have entered VB.

I believe you also need to upgrade to an AP that would have allowed you access to any parks you entered (ie, if you entered on a day when Seasonal APs were blocked out, you would need to get a Power AP that would not have been blocked out). And the AP expiration is based on the first day of ticket usage, so you don't gain extra days by waiting.

Thus there is no benefit to waiting to upgrade. If you will need to upgrade to Preferred / Premier anyway, you want to do so ASAP so you can fully utilize any discounts. However I have not heard of anyone having an issue waiting until their checkout day to show the AP & keep the AP rate, so it shouldn't be an issue if you choose to do that. It's just unnecessary.

I would strongly suggest booking the AP rate you see while you're considering it, lest it disappear before you decide. You don't need to have the AP to book the rate & it is fully refundable up until a few days out.

I have some stays where they asked to see my AP & others where they didn't - maybe a training issue or something.

Reactions: AJA
No I don’t think they will let you upgrade to a 2 park seasonal pass, after you have used the VB part of your ticket and the seasonal pass would be blocked out.

I would budget for the 3 park pass (and a without blocked dates).

The hotel may or may not ask to see your pass. In dozens of stays over the last 13 years only once was a check in person really adamant they had to see my pass BEFORE we could check in, that was at Sapphire Falls.

If our passes have expired we always just purchase new ones right in the hotel lobby so it wasn’t a big deal, but she did make me go and purchase our passes then get back in line (not a long line at all) to check in.

The hotel may or may not ask to see your pass. In dozens of stays over the last 13 years only once was a check in person really adamant they had to see my pass BEFORE we could check in, that was at Sapphire Falls.

If our passes have expired we always just purchase new ones right in the hotel lobby so it wasn’t a big deal, but she did make me go and purchase our passes then get back in line (not a long line at all) to check in.
This just brought a question to my mind - how did she know it was expired? There's no date on mine. I have just renewed online and kept using the same card for years.

This just brought a question to my mind - how did she know it was expired? There's no date on mine. I have just renewed online and kept using the same card for years.
On those times when they have asked to see my AP, I remember them typing something into the computer before handing it back - maybe checking if valid? Maybe just entering the info? Maybe playing a computer game? Dunno :confused3

Thanks for the information all. Disappointing that you can't buy a 2 park annual pass after going to Volcano Bay, and we definitely don't want to miss out on that experience, going in July. I think I'm going to book a vacation package through Costco. With the Costco Card incentive and cash back, it comes pretty close to the AP hotel price without all the hassle.

I have some stays where they asked to see my AP & others where they didn't - maybe a training issue or something.
The desk @ SF last visit indicated that even tho the Loews you first program is gone, they could still “see all’ with a couple of key strokes. :earseek:Oh, no, another permanent record on me like the mouse down the road keeps, squeak! Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter