Can You Use Your Own State-Issued Handicapped Parking Permit In Florida???

GroovyWheeler

Earning My Ears
The countdown to WDW, is getting closer and both Dan and I are very excited. It'll be Dan's second time at Walt Disney World, my 18th or 19th (although my 3rd/4th time as a wheelchair user). I've been debating on whether to take my Kaye reverse walker and use the park's ECV's (as my mom won't allow me to bring my power chair because of the fear of Delta banging it up, and it not working. I'm having problems with it already, with making a funny noise that it shouldn't be making, but my DME dealer is helping me with that. The secind reason I can't bring it, is that my mom already rented a van, that's not wheelchair-accessible), or bring my own manual wheelchair and use it from park to park, as Dan and I will be constantly on the move.

My question is, can you bring your own state-issued disabled parking permit to use in Florida. Most of the time, Dan and I will be using the bus system, but there will be times that we'll go to Animal Kingdom Lodge or Universal, and we'll need the rental van then.

Samantha :love: princess: princess: princess:

All state-issued handicap tags and placards are good anywhere in the United States (except Washington DC will only accept its own).

At WDW besides allowing legal use of handicap spaces, if you use valet parking at any of the deluxe hotels the $6.00 daily valet fee is waived. (However, the valets are "tip positions" and they don't get any part of the daily fee. I will normally tip them $1.00 or $2.00 {depending on the weather} both drop-off and pick up. However, if I need assistance with my ECV and they do the work I will give them $5.00 but if they don't do the work not only is there no tip, but also a discussion with a supervisor.)

You mention possibly using the Park ECVs. I would suggest considering an off-site rental. Check the "disABILITIES FAQ" which is the 4th item in this forum, it will give lots of information.

Mike

Agreeing with Cheshire Figment. :yes:
You will have no problem using your state issued hangtag.

If you rent an ecv from one of the outside rental places, they may be able to provide a way to attach your walker to it. The park ones would not have any provisions for that. The outside rental places may also have some choice of seat styles. Basically, ecvs have seats similar to office chairs, but all the park ones are the same. You may be able to find one of the offsite places with a seat that meets your needs better. I remember you posting that you use a 4 point seatbelt. You should be aware that the ecvs don't have seat belts. I'm not sure if they could attach one to the offsite rentals or not, but I know you would not be able to get a seat belt for the park ones.
I've also forgotten if you posted how old you are; if you are under 18, the parks (and most of the off-site places) don't rent ecvs to be used by people under 18.

Last year, we wanted DD to have access to her power wheelchair, but were afraid to bring it down (the same as your mom - afraid of breakage). We did explore renting a power wheelchair. That was not an option for us because DD has an unusaul size (seat is 14 in wide and 18 inches long), but depending on your situation, renting a power wheelchair might be a better option for you than an ecv.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter