Canadian Buffoon European Vacation - 30/03 - Endings and Silver Linings

As Jill said already, the secret to driving on the autobahn is that people follow rules! (how German, right? ;)) Not that I have any desire to do that anymore, I am very happy with a maximum speed of 70.

So what you're saying is you don't want to go to Texas?
They have a couple of 80mph sections.

Question: what nationality was the train server? Does not seem like a German way of doing things, but then again, maybe I am prejudiced?

Interesting that two people immediately pick up on how "un-german/inefficient" the server was.
I got the distinct impression that the train was Italian. But I can't say for sure.
I only remember that our ticket was very different from the other German rail tickets I had.
But that could also be because it was an international ticket.
I don't remember if signs were in Italian or German.

Love the pictures. One day we will make it to Italy too, retirement is right around the corner :goodvibes

Good choice of travel destination.
But... have you ever been to DisneyWorld???

:rolleyes:

Oh, and I have news! I too will be take a European trip this summer, to Prague and Budapest (I think) and I don't know where else, hubby is in charge, I'm just going along for the ride (provided I can get all my documents updated by then). I will not be doing a trip report though, writing is not my forte

Well, it may not be your forte, but I'm sure we'd love to hear all about it.
I haven't been to Prague or Budapest, but others in my family have.
They speak highly of both places.

what a great chapter! and I mean the home depot "chapter"!

Thanks, Smidgy!
And of course, the home depot chapter... what else would it be??

I was laughing "right out loud" (just like Wally Cox in that one D.i.c.k. van D.y.k.e. episode) at the coin flip incident!

Good! Mission accomplished.

boy, those pictures are great. I probably will never get to see Europe in person, but you have brought us along with you and that is great.

Talk Neebs into going on a cruise across the pond then.
They're surprisingly affordable.
(compare $600 for 7 day caribbean vs. $700 for 14 night transatlantic...
of course, then you have to come back.)

Just keep him away from the deck railings... or open portholes.

those houses and buildings nestled in thsoe mountatins. I can't imagin waking up to that view every morning.

I know!

It could even turn me into a morning person! .. nah, never happen. besides, the mountains are probably just as beautiful at the crack of 10 am.

Or just wait 'til dusk. Same picture, just in reverse.

I had to laugh at the directions to get directions. when we exited the interstate during tropical storm Lee we went to a gas station to get direction to get to state route 27. the guy gave us some directions, then actually told us at that point we should pull into the gas station there for further directions!:lmao: I felt like we we the griswolds in St. Louis!

:lmao:

oh yeah! I cracked up totally at the waitress on the train. even though I am an over tipper, I probably would have thought twice about tipping her. well, I guess it's a moot point, as they don't tip in Europe, do they?

They do... in a way.
If the bill is 18.50 euros, you'd leave the .50 as a tip. If service was really good, you might leave an extra euro.

Needless to say, I didn't leave an extra euro... or change.

anyway, I can't believe you waited that long.I would've burst, and been up there a few times asking where my food was (and nebo would have been embarrassed and anxious) and we probably would go back to the compartment and eat cheetos for lunch. :rotfl2:

I have a kind of morbid fascination to see just how far it would go.
But at some point, I would just get up and leave.

Tougher to do on a train, though.

speaking of nebo:
nebo says to tell you he is sorry for his absence and has every intention of joining us soon.

I keep wanting to call him... then everything happens at once and I'm innundated with things to do.

But I will... I will.

confined spaces. Probably a really long walk - do they have a hotel on the way up?

They actually have beds at the summit.... so he just has to get there.

You do not want to know how warm it is this weekend. Pretend I didn't tell you this.

I'm sorry, who are you again?
Thought I heard something... must've been the gale force, bone chilling wind.

While you're there, could you pick up some sandpaper and some varnish for me, I've been meaning to start on a project....

Got 'em right here. Just come on up and pick them up.

Uh... you might have to thaw out the varnish.
And I dropped one of the sheets of sandpaper... and it shattered.

Again, such beautiful pictures! It seems you aren't supposed to be bringing many clothes when in Venice! The pic of the canal was another surreal shot - I would be pinching myself to be sure I was really there. I'm looking forward to more of your tour - Thanks for the chapter!

Thanks, Tammie.
That first view of that canal was something else.
I pretty much stopped dead in my tracks.

Okay, I stopped because of the hernia I just burst from lugging all those bags...
But still. I stopped.

If you aren't a professional writer, you should be.

Your trip report is by leaps and bounds the best one I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

Thanks!

Again, such beautiful pictures!

So true on both. :thumbsup2

And LSmith just showed a very sweet side of her. :thumbsup2 ;) Wink to you LSmith. :goodvibes And yes I realize that makes me sound like a complete stalker. Oh well.

Oh it's here, it's here, it's here. Will catch up tonight. How many days in Venice? I want to start preparing myself for not having this wonderful TR. :sad2: :rolleyes:

We stayed not too far from you guys in Venice! We got an apartment on the other side of the Rialto Bridge, and walked down your way many a time to go to St. Mark's square!

It's amazing when you get somewhere iconic like Venice, and then you see something that is the epitome of that iconic location, like crossing a canal with the striped pilons and gondolas, it's completely surreal! We didn't take the train in, we flew in, so we spluged and did get a water taxi from the airport to the apartment vaporetto stop (it was just across the Grand Canal from the stop you got off on) and it was amazing as well. Just like what you'd picture it to be!

We stayed not too far from you guys in Venice! We got an apartment on the other side of the Rialto Bridge, and walked down your way many a time to go to St. Mark's square!

It's amazing when you get somewhere iconic like Venice, and then you see something that is the epitome of that iconic location, like crossing a canal with the striped pilons and gondolas, it's completely surreal! We didn't take the train in, we flew in, so we spluged and did get a water taxi from the airport to the apartment vaporetto stop (it was just across the Grand Canal from the stop you got off on) and it was amazing as well. Just like what you'd picture it to be!

Wow, lucky you. :goodvibes :thumbsup2 Wonderful to hear all about. One day. :goodvibes

Oh it's here, it's here, it's here. Will catch up tonight. How many days in Venice? I want to start preparing myself for not having this wonderful TR. :sad2: :rolleyes:

Not long... but I'll do my best to keep you entertained.

That's odd how we were both practically neighbors.
If we'd been there at the same time, we might've bumped into each other.
Then I'd post about it.

Was your apartment along the same vein as our hotel?
Or did you find something a little more modern?

It's amazing when you get somewhere iconic like Venice, and then you see something that is the epitome of that iconic location, like crossing a canal with the striped pilons and gondolas, it's completely surreal!

I know. I couldn't stop staring.
I felt like I was on a movie set or something.

That's odd how we were both practically neighbors.
If we'd been there at the same time, we might've bumped into each other.
Then I'd post about it.

Was your apartment along the same vein as our hotel?
Or did you find something a little more modern?

I know. I couldn't stop staring.
I felt like I was on a movie set or something.

I actually had to think back when I started reading this to see if we were there at the same time! We missed you by a month, I think you were smarter though, it was stiflingly hot when we were there!

It wasn't modern, but also not Italian Renaissance. We had a living room that was really 2 twin beds for a couch and a table with a kitchenette, and the loft with a king bed, plenty for us for 4 days. The weirdest part was the washer, it was about big enough for 1 outfit worth of clothes. Literally, I think we were doing laundry constantly to make sure we went on the cruise with clean clothes! Plus, we had to air dry everything, so we ended up laying clothes out on the railing in the loft to dry, but it was a good place to sleep!

We went down for one last magnificent breakfast.

Oh the breakfast. :love:

we thanked our hostess

I feel like thanking her. You're showing us all the lovely photos of magnificent scenery and opulent castles and a beautiful grotto and I'm still on the breakfast. :rotfl2:

THE CAR! Clap. Clap. Clap.

I think it turned red 'cause it was embarrassed to be seen in a country setting and not in some expensive, big-city, hi-rise parking garage.

Look at you psychoanalyzing the car! :lmao: :thumbsup2

It would go something like this.
"Okay, you're parking now? Fine. All clear."
"Uh, no big deal, but there's something up ahead over there."
"Heh. Heh. You're getting a little close, aren't you? Not to worry, still plenty of room."
"Getting a little tight around here, big fella."
"Umm... You do know that there's something there, right?"
"Better back off now."
"You're too close! Pull up! Pull up!"
"Aaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!"

OMG, it went way further than I even realized. :lmao::rotfl::lmao: ;) Don't make call for medication. Nebo! :lmao:

A leaf gently kisses the front bumper.

Ahhh. :goodvibes ;)

But if you're a driving or racing enthusiast, you're pulse and breath rate just went up.)

Yes sir! As a child I used to find myself watching cars going around in a circle over and over. I live right near the Honda/Toronto Indy as in I can hear vroom vroom right on my terrace facing away from it. Actually I can even hear it in my bathroom - through the dryer vent. :lmao: I don't what I'm sharing here. :rotfl: Sounds through my dryer vent. :rotfl2:

Anyway, there's a free day at the Indy for practice runs and pole position. I go every year. And when it's not I peer through the fence like I'm starving or something. Please sir, I want some more. I mean seriously there is something about it all. Like - well - I don't want to get points here so I'll refrain. :laughing:

:thumbsup2. Is the grass really that green? Or it is a saturated shot? EDIT: wrong shot.:sad2: It's not "is that one little piece of grass on the side of the road really that green?". ;)

This is the one.

There are reasonably affordable cars that have the power to travel at high rates of speed,
but the large automakers (especially German ones) electronically limit the cars to 250 kmh (155 mph).

Still pretty durned fast.

Yes. :thumbsup2

You might think that this would translate into a higher amount of serious accidents...
But Germany has one of the lowest rates of fatalities in the World (on Highways at least, I don't know about other roads).

Why? I have a theory about that.
The first thing I noticed is that cars on the autobahn are being driven with much more skill than I've seen anywhere else.
You don't see cars traveling at slow speeds in the left hand lane.
It seems that everybody uses signals and are aware of what's going on around them.
They have to. When things move that much faster, you have to be aware of what's going on and what you're doing.

Just a theory. But I suspect I'm right.

Interesting. All of it.

That and I was doing it in a station wagon.

OMG, I totally didn't see that coming. :rotfl2: A station wagon. :lmao: :thumbsup2 Priceless.

I resume my quest.

Faster.... faster... faster...

I ask Ruby to take a picture for me:

YES!!!

Love it! YES! How were all your passengers?

Arriving in Munich, I drop off the kids and the old bag
and Ruby and the new bags (what?:confused3)
at the train station.

Totally bad humour. Totally. :rolleyes1 And that car, what does that car know? It knew it was dream maker, so be nice! ;) Can't wait for the train! And the dining car, of course.

Okay will return for Venice!

I actually had to think back when I started reading this to see if we were there at the same time! We missed you by a month, I think you were smarter though, it was stiflingly hot when we were there!

I remember checking the temps prior to going and seeing that they were incredibly high.
They were still high when we were there, but I don't remember it as being too bad.
Except for one time....

It wasn't modern, but also not Italian Renaissance. We had a living room that was really 2 twin beds for a couch and a table with a kitchenette, and the loft with a king bed, plenty for us for 4 days. The weirdest part was the washer, it was about big enough for 1 outfit worth of clothes. Literally, I think we were doing laundry constantly to make sure we went on the cruise with clean clothes! Plus, we had to air dry everything, so we ended up laying clothes out on the railing in the loft to dry, but it was a good place to sleep!

We didn't have to do laundry while in Venice so it wasn't an issue for us.
Your place sounds like it was pretty nice.

I know those washers. It seems that anything that takes water is smaller in Europe.

I feel like thanking her. You're showing us all the lovely photos of magnificent scenery and opulent castles and a beautiful grotto and I'm still on the breakfast. :rotfl2:

I would've been happy skipping all that annoying "castle" and "stupendous scenery" stuff for more of that amazing breakfast.

Oh, settle down. I'm kidding.

I think.

THE CAR! Clap. Clap. Clap.

Why am I suddenly having visions of Fantasy Island.

Look at you psychoanalyzing the car! :lmao: :thumbsup2

I had to.
I put my foot on the accelerator and it became depressed.

OMG, it went way further than I even realized. :lmao::rotfl::lmao: ;) Don't make call for medication. Nebo! :lmao:

Hey. It's not me. It's the car.
Probably too much octane in the fuel.

Just sayin'

Yes sir! As a child I used to find myself watching cars going around in a circle over and over. I live right near the Honda/Toronto Indy as in I can hear vroom vroom right on my terrace facing away from it. Actually I can even hear it in my bathroom - through the dryer vent. :lmao: I don't what I'm sharing here. :rotfl: Sounds through my dryer vent. :rotfl2:

Sounds through your dryer vent?
So...

Maybe it wasn't the car that I should've been psychoanalyzing?

Anyway, there's a free day at the Indy for practice runs and pole position. I go every year. And when it's not I peer through the fence like I'm starving or something. Please sir, I want some more. I mean seriously there is something about it all. Like - well - I don't want to get points here so I'll refrain. :laughing:

Too late.
You get major points.

I've been to the Toronto Indy three times.
The inaugural Edmonton Indy.
And the Indy 500 twice.

Is the grass really that green? Or it is a saturated shot?

Grass? There's grass?

EDIT: wrong shot.:sad2: It's not "is that one little piece of grass on the side of the road really that green?". ;)

Ah. Well that would explain it.

This is the one.

Pretty much.
I do clean up the pictures somewhat, including upping the saturation.
But I usually only up it by about 10%.

So, yes Virginia, there really is grass that green.

OMG, I totally didn't see that coming. :rotfl2: A station wagon. :lmao: :thumbsup2 Priceless.

What's really amazing is that we could get a station wagon up to 150kmh.

Love it! YES! How were all your passengers?

Actually, they were cheering me on!

No. They weren't.
Here's the truth.

That car was so smooth, that going that fast didn't really feel any different from going slower.
I don't think anyone even noticed how fast I was going until I said, "Hey! Somebody take a picture of the speedometer!"

It was only then that Ruby started to pay attention.

But the other drivers on the road were so... I guess you could say 'professional', that she never got nervous.

The other girls went right back to their iPods.

Okay will return for Venice!

But... we're already there...
Then.
We were there, then... now.

uh.

So how's the weather over there?

IMG_0031_zpsbeb59532.jpg

Now where have I seen this picture before?

Working on a break down. Hopefully I don't lose it again, but I can't make any promises. When things like that happen, they just drive you crazy and mad. People look at me like I've gone insane when I start beating my head against my desk and I am asking myself "Why me? Why do things like this always happen to me?" My inner voice answers back to just calm down, take a deep breath and relax.

Working on a break down. Hopefully I don't lose it again, but I can't make any promises. When things like that happen, they just drive you crazy and mad. People look at me like I've gone insane when I start beating my head against my desk and I am asking myself "Why me? Why do things like this always happen to me?" My inner voice answers back to just calm down, take a deep breath and relax.

Oh that makes you want to throw something. Totally. Well me, anyway. ;)

Sounds through your dryer vent?
So...

Maybe it wasn't the car that I should've been psychoanalyzing?

Maybe. :rolleyes1

But then again vroom vroom is not the only sounds I've heard through my dryer vent in the summer. :scratchin :rolleyes1

It's a very young neighbourhood. ;) I would say that I'm like grandma but thank goodness I'm absolutely delusional :thumbsup2 and forget I'm so much older than them.

Too late.
You get major points.

I've been to the Toronto Indy three times.
The inaugural Edmonton Indy.
And the Indy 500 twice.

No, you get major points! :yay: Lucky you! :thumbsup2

Grass? There's grass?

I don't know quite where to go with that one. :rotfl2: Loads in this neighbourhood. Even through the dryer vent. :lmao:

Now where have I seen this picture before?

I have no idea.
Perhaps in a travel book?

:rolleyes1:

I feel your pain.
I just lost a breakdown over on Rebecca's TR.

As for the voices in your head?

No comment.

Nope.

None.

But then again vroom vroom is not the only sounds I've heard through my dryer vent in the summer. :scratchin :rolleyes1

It's a very young neighbourhood. ;)

I would ask, but... family board.

I would say that I'm like grandma but thank goodness I'm absolutely delusional :thumbsup2 and forget I'm so much older than them.

Forget what?

What?

I'm sorry, where were we?

And interesting on your family and the speed. That must have been something. Great to have that picture.

That picture is the only reason I had the family along.

Well, somebody had to take the picture!
Sheesh.

I'm not digging around for a camera at 200kmh.

A little foggy.

Yes... I've seen the latest Rob Ford video.

Oh that makes you want to throw something. Totally. Well me, anyway. ;)

Sorry? You want Thumper Man to throw YOU? Odd, but okay. Thumper, you into this? Of course you'll have to come to Canada in the middle Polar Vortex pt. II...

And BTW - did anyone else notice just how white Pkondzi's knuckles look in the speedometer photo. I almost said speedo photo, but thought better of it...

Sorry? You want Thumper Man to throw YOU? Odd, but okay. Thumper, you into this? Of course you'll have to come to Canada in the middle Polar Vortex pt. II...

Odd. I didn't catch that.

I'm so ashamed...

And BTW - did anyone else notice just how white Pkondzi's knuckles look in the speedometer photo. I almost said speedo photo, but thought better of it...

Speedo?
Trust me... you do not want to go there.

White knuckles?
I could tell you how my hands being that close to the camera would be blown out in comparison to the dark dashboard...

But they probably were...

I would ask, but... family board.

But it has to do with family. They were trying to make one. :rotfl2: ;) Outside.

Yes... I've seen the latest Rob Ford video.

Oh Lord. The best is some American news outlets are totally killing the patois. He is something.

Odd. I didn't catch that.

I'm so ashamed...

Well you should be ashamed.;) God told me (spoke to me through my dryer vent, no doubt :rotfl2: ) but I stared at it and couldn't quite figure it out.

Well Thumper Man better be very strong then. VERY. My poor petite mother gave birth to an almost ten pound baby, who never stopped growing.

JUST KEEP HIM AWAY FROM THE DECK RAILINGS.... OR OPEN PORTHOLES

Wow, you're a regular Henny Dangerfield. Funny man, you are. No, the port holes are no danger to me:
I'm too big, can't fit.
It took the "Jaws of Life" to free me last cruise. (still paying off Carnival on that one.)

No, not gonna lie and say I've been following all alobng, but I do hope to catch up.Smidgy tells me that you are still on top of your game, as I knew you's be, but did you really have to put in, "I put my foot on the accelerator and it became depressed."?

Jiminny Crickets, and they said I made bad puns!

Yes, if you have a sec, sorry for not checking in, I'm trying to getout of my POOR ME funk. 3 fingers on my now bad hand aren't really working right, and the eyes arent' getting better, but I SHALL persever, or at least perspire, gettingt good at that.

And you know how much I hate to make tkypos.
typos.

Just for the record, I did make a couple of New Years Resolutions! They are:

I will not fall down the up stairs anymore.
I will not fall in the icy driveway anymore. 3times and counting, (don't ask)
I will not fall at the MaGIc Kingdom and give myself a concussion anymore.
I will not fall down at the Indy Stunt Show anymore when I am selected.
I will not fall UP the stairs again at the Indy Stunt Show
( see trip report))

Hey, khow about I just say " I will not fall" anymore?

Ponzi,,, and all the rest of you,,,,,,,, LYMI,,,, keep up the good work.

RESUME!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{NEBO!}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

We missed you! Sorry about your funk, but you know, the way to get out of that is to get back in the game, right?

So, come out to play, you will feel better, I promise!

Love you, Mean it!

Very entertaining!! I haven't read the whole thread, but I've read all your chapters. Love your humor and pictures. Can't wait for the next chapter, so make it quick, will ya?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter