Canadian Buffoon's Back to Front Vacation - Update! 05/18 - Falling Down

Thanks, Tammie!

Busy girl. :)

Off to Hawaii again!
Very nice!
Which island
(or islands)
are you going to?

We are just doing Oahu again. Can't beat the value at Hale Koa! Some day we'll have to check out the other islands.

I guess if you're a Starbucks
fanatic, then you'd be more
inclined to go.

Starbucks is my coffee place of choice (wouldn't call myself a fanatic) and I still wouldn't wait. I'd go down to the next corner where the less popular one is and mobile order so that it would be ready when I arrived! :laughing:

You don't receive them?
Okay... either you're telling
me that no one's ever got
you flowers (perish the thought!)

No, in the beginning Fran used to buy me flowers, but she was the only one who did.

Or you say no when given to you.

And?

Now I would say no, or put them outside. The kitties would eat them and get sick.

Well... I can see that.

Then again... Dinner is
over in a few hours
and flowers (usually)
last for a week or so.

Not with my kitties.... :rolleyes1

Oh!!!
I do remember that!
Well, I'll be!
I was there and didn't
even know that was the place. :)

I was just in my freezer and there is one 4 pack of the Cheddar Gold Bratwurst left. I still have half a dozen of the Merguez, but last time I made Cous Cous she said they were too spicy for her.

Yes, I remember the Merguez.
I even asked you about it
if memory serves.

I think that's when i posted my Cous Cous recipe because we were talking about Harissa and the only way to explain the sauce included. The entire recipe! :laughing:

The fried chicken jumped
out at me.

I missed that. Probably because I thought I would never have occasion to be in Miami Beach.

Oh? I don't think I knew
that you didn't like salmon?

Hmmm, I usually mention it every time Fran has it.

I'm not sure if I can legally
bring that into Canada since
it's not cooked.
(unless... it is.)
I'd have to check what the
rules are.

Good point! Never thought of that.

We are just doing Oahu again. Can't beat the value at Hale Koa! Some day we'll have to check out the other islands.
mmmmm.... I would kill for
another trip to Giovanni's
Shrimp Truck!

Actually, I need to return
to Oahu for another reason too.
Last time, since our flight
was delayed by almost
a full day, we missed out
on Pearl Harbor.

Starbucks is my coffee place of choice (wouldn't call myself a fanatic) and I still wouldn't wait. I'd go down to the next corner where the less popular one is and mobile order so that it would be ready when I arrived! :laughing:

Ah.
So speed is more important
than having one there.

No, in the beginning Fran used to buy me flowers, but she was the only one who did.

Okay.
So you have had them.

Now I would say no, or put them outside. The kitties would eat them and get sick.

Oh!
Well... uh...

<scratches that idea off the list.>

Not with my kitties.... :rolleyes1

Yeah. I get it now.
Never had a cat that
ate flowers.
Then again... I did have
one that ate tinsel.

I was just in my freezer and there is one 4 pack of the Cheddar Gold Bratwurst left. I still have half a dozen of the Merguez, but last time I made Cous Cous she said they were too spicy for her.

Then save them for when
I come over again! :)

I think that's when i posted my Cous Cous recipe because we were talking about Harissa and the only way to explain the sauce included. The entire recipe! :laughing:

:laughing: ::yes::

I missed that. Probably because I thought I would never have occasion to be in Miami Beach.

I might... in the fall.
Maybe?
Definitely nothing firm yet.

Hmmm, I usually mention it every time Fran has it.

Maybe I haven't been around
when Fran has had salmon?

Good point! Never thought of that.

I have to...
If it's not allowed,
it'd get confiscated.
Might even get a fine?

mmmmm.... I would kill for
another trip to Giovanni's
Shrimp Truck!

Actually, I need to return
to Oahu for another reason too.
Last time, since our flight
was delayed by almost
a full day, we missed out
on Pearl Harbor.
We are kind of without big plans this time. It will be interesting to see what we actually do. Love Giovanni, but I also love some other trucks, too. I think Oahu is a little underrated. It has a lot of beautiful off road places, great food, culture and people!

Oh, I know just how
you feel.
I just finished a swing
of working 22 days straight.
Actually worked 25 8-hour
shifts in that period.

:scared1::scared1::scared1: If there's more shifts than there are days, that's a bad equation! I work 12 hour shifts so in theory I work 3 days a week but I'm working every day from now until next Tuesday :confused3

::yes:: They have tons
of cool stuff in there.
Get him a metal sign
for where he parks
his bike. :)

Oo perfect idea! Thank you:goodvibes

Uh, huh.

Stanley Cup wins:
Toronto - 13
Winnipeg - 0

Hmmm this is true but we haven't had a cup since Winnipeg has been in the league so it's more than equal.

Holy cow.
Yeah, I bet it was!! :scared:

Makes me count my blessings everyday.

What could go wrong?

With my luck. Everything.

Well, go!
It's just next door!

Yea, but now that we have a puppy we bring her everywhere. Makes things hard.

Hmmm this is true but we haven't had a cup since Winnipeg has been in the league so it's more than equal.

Well... true.
Then again...
Leafs are still in,
we're out.
(Much to everyone's chagrin, here.)

With my luck. Everything.

Oy...

Yea, but now that we have a puppy we bring her everywhere. Makes things hard.

Oh!
Photos?

And... time to find a
dog sitter.

Just realized I hadn't read the last half of this last posting (I was reading at work and then my boss came into my office, so I had to switch gears and actually do some work). Hate it when that happens.

Okay, the alluring aroma
of fresh cooked doughnuts
filled the air and called to me.

Like a siren's song.

giphy.gif

someone likes alliteration.

One maple bacon doughnut.

that's a pretty good combo of Canadian and American staples.

(* so tell me... have you
tried any of these? Let me know!)

Nope. Seeing as I'm not big on seafood -- probably won't be trying many of them ever...although I might be able to be talked into a chowder. I do like soups.

Actually, the line moved
along at a fairly steady pace.

Probably run as efficiently as Soup Nazi. People know they gotta be ready.

tumblr_ok4g9w9wBa1u501aoo3_400.gif

Actually, the line of people
was a good sign.

People don't normally line up
for lousy food.

You know what though? People will get in a line even if they don't know what the line is for. Fear of missing out.

Oprah did a test back in mid-2000s (I think) -- in which she had 10-20 people form a line at the end of her taping, and within a few mins, there was a huge line of people in line from her studio audience. She then had someone (I think secretly) film and ask the people what the line was for. They would all answer they didn't know, but the "heard" a rumor that the line was to meet Oprah. After some amount of time, Oprah came out and told them it was all an experiment and then she asked them why they all stood in a line that they had no idea what it was for.

I tried finding it online, but can't find it.

I let my stomach do the talking.
"I'll have the 4 soup sampler.
New England Clam Chowder,
Smoked Salmon Chowder,
Market Chowder and,
Seafood Bisque.
Oh... and throw in a
Lobster Roll too."

(Spoiler alert. I didn't
come close to finishing it all.)

I could easily see doing this. i actually kind of did the same thing this past Friday. Went to do Chinese take out and ordered two entrees and two appetizers b/c I wanted a little of everything.

I was particularly pleased with
that last shot.
I'd taken shots of ducks at a
couple of spots along the way
and hadn't been overly
pleased with the results.

amazing how they lined up so perfectly. it's almost like they were photoshopped.

Did you see it in this chapter?

took a second look -- marvin blends in quite well at the market.

I'm finally here AND all caught up! :thumbsup2

I'm so impressed how many DISmeets you had on your non-Disney vacations! Of all the fine folks you met, I was most excited about the person I also had the pleasure of meeting - @Tracy161 . She is indeed such a nice, sweet person - when we met her it felt like I was catching up with an old friend instead of meeting a brand new person. I'm so glad you were able to meet her AND get a fancy backstage tour! Your pictures from the Corning Museum of Glass really make me want to visit! The next time I take a road trip through the Northeast (which we hope to do in the next few years), we'll have to include that in the lineup!

That's too bad you had such a bad hotel experience (cockroaches AND spiders - yikes!). I used to travel for work so I stayed in a few interesting places - my worst was when I stayed in a place with bedbugs, but I also once encountered a spider the size of a barn cat. I spotted it in the morning when I was getting ready to leave. Thank goodness it was as I was leaving as I don't think I would've slept well knowing that beast was nearby! :eek:

What a wonderful experience at the Georgia Aquarium! I'm so glad that turned out for you!

The Festival du Voyageur looks amazing! I'm glad you and Kay were able to attend! I remember Kay from a past trip report - I can't believe she's already an adult (and a lovely looking one, at that!). How time flies...

What lovely pictures from the Japanese gardens. G and I visited one in Golden Gate Park on our honeymoon (there's even a picture of G in the garden in my current TR) and we really enjoyed it. It was a small Japanese garden, but it was quite tranquil and very beautiful.

I'd LOVE to visit Seattle and go to Pike Place Market! What a fun time! I think your TR chapter title was appropriate (goodness, you squeeze you buy?! What if the fruit is bad?!).

I am also a huge chowder fan and HAVE to remember that restaurant when we get to Seattle! I don't know that I could eat that much soup (plus a lobster roll!), but the sampler is definitely the way to go! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

Have a GREAT TIME on your vacation with Elle! I hope you have a wonderful time in Disney World (I think May the 4th won't be too bad this year - imagine next year when Galaxy's Edge is open! :scared: ). I know you'll have a great time in Universal - enjoy Escape from Gringotts, Diagon Alley, the Royal Pacific Resort, and those Unlimited Express Passes! I look forward to hearing all about it when you get back! :goodvibes

Made it through part 1!

That's a lot of road trip... and I've got to say, I don't think it is crazy at all. I'd do something like that in a heartbeat. I love just driving, and getting out by myself, on my schedule, seeing what I want to see... yeah, I could get into that.

I'm just a bit shocked that you didn't take the bike though... :rolleyes1

I'm glad you got to see Elton John and swim with Destiny... or I guess maybe it was Festiny or something since it was Georgia Aquarium instead of Disney...
At one point, they asked me
if I'd stopped at Southside Harley.
I told them that Southside Harley,
as far as Betty, my GPS knew,
was actually a closed up
Cheeseburger in Paradise restaurant.
They told me that it's across the street.
Actually, just on the other side of I-65. Like when you got off the exit, you literally drove within a couple hundred feet of the place. If you'd looked out your passenger side window...

I can't believe Itchin' Betty didn't get splattered on the asphalt at some point on this trip.

By the way, I saw on the map that you stopped at Mann's Harley Davidson. That's 6 miles from where I work and I eat lunch about every day at one of the restaurants around there... Sorry I was MIA from the Dis, because there's a good chance we probably could have made something work for at least a quick meet up there.

I'm so impressed how many DISmeets you had on your non-Disney vacations! Of all the fine folks you met, I was most excited about the person I also had the pleasure of meeting - @Tracy161 . She is indeed such a nice, sweet person - when we met her it felt like I was catching up with an old friend instead of meeting a brand new person. I'm so glad you were able to meet her AND get a fancy backstage tour! Your pictures from the Corning Museum of Glass really make me want to visit! The next time I take a road trip through the Northeast (which we hope to do in the next few years), we'll have to include that in the lineup!
Awww, that's so sweet of you to say! It's amazing when you get to meet folks you've "known" for years and years, finally!, in person. I felt the same way about you, and the same way about @pkondz. Like old friends connecting again. No comments about "old" pkondz! :laughing: I still laugh though about what your sister said... "you're going to make us meet strangers from the internet?!" :rotfl:

Just realized I hadn't read the last half of this last posting (I was reading at work and then my boss came into my office, so I had to switch gears and actually do some work). Hate it when that happens.

What's with that!
Bosses need to leave
their employees alone
so they can goof off
in peace.

The nerve!

someone likes alliteration.

I intimated I'm inclined indeed.

that's a pretty good combo of Canadian and American staples.

:laughing:
I never thought of that!

Nope. Seeing as I'm not big on seafood -- probably won't be trying many of them ever...although I might be able to be talked into a chowder. I do like soups.

Hmmm... not sure.
Like soup... check!
Don't like seafood... umm...

Probably run as efficiently as Soup Nazi. People know they gotta be ready.

tumblr_ok4g9w9wBa1u501aoo3_400.gif

:laughing: Pretty much!

You know what though? People will get in a line even if they don't know what the line is for. Fear of missing out.

Oprah did a test back in mid-2000s (I think) -- in which she had 10-20 people form a line at the end of her taping, and within a few mins, there was a huge line of people in line from her studio audience. She then had someone (I think secretly) film and ask the people what the line was for. They would all answer they didn't know, but the "heard" a rumor that the line was to meet Oprah. After some amount of time, Oprah came out and told them it was all an experiment and then she asked them why they all stood in a line that they had no idea what it was for.

I tried finding it online, but can't find it.

I took a quick look and
didn't find it either.

Reminds me of an old movie
where the folk come in from
the farm into the big city.
They marvel at all the tall
buildings.
Others see them looking and
after a while, a crowd is looking
up.
"What's goin on?"
"I think it's a jumper."
The farm folk turn to each
other and say.
"Did you hear that?
Let's get out of here."

Leaving a crowd staring
up at nothing.

I could easily see doing this. i actually kind of did the same thing this past Friday. Went to do Chinese take out and ordered two entrees and two appetizers b/c I wanted a little of everything.

::yes::
I completely get that!

Plus... Chinese left-overs
are awesome.

amazing how they lined up so perfectly. it's almost like they were photoshopped.

Nope!
They really weren't.
Look more closely. :)

took a second look -- marvin blends in quite well at the market.

;)

I'm finally here AND all caught up! :thumbsup2

Jenny!

So glad you popped by! :goodvibes

:welcome: to the TR!

I'm so impressed how many DISmeets you had on your non-Disney vacations! Of all the fine folks you met, I was most excited about the person I also had the pleasure of meeting - @Tracy161 . She is indeed such a nice, sweet person - when we met her it felt like I was catching up with an old friend instead of meeting a brand new person.

Tracy is wonderful!
She made me feel
so welcome!
She is indeed a
very special lady. :)

Your pictures from the Corning Museum of Glass really make me want to visit! The next time I take a road trip through the Northeast (which we hope to do in the next few years), we'll have to include that in the lineup!

I can definitely recommend it!
I loved it!!

I plan on going back
and doing a much longer
visit.
And hopefully even take
a class or two!

That's too bad you had such a bad hotel experience (cockroaches AND spiders - yikes!).

I'm going back there too!!!

not

I used to travel for work so I stayed in a few interesting places - my worst was when I stayed in a place with bedbugs, but I also once encountered a spider the size of a barn cat. I spotted it in the morning when I was getting ready to leave. Thank goodness it was as I was leaving as I don't think I would've slept well knowing that beast was nearby! :eek:

Ew!
Where was that???

What a wonderful experience at the Georgia Aquarium! I'm so glad that turned out for you!

:fish:

The Festival du Voyageur looks amazing! I'm glad you and Kay were able to attend! I remember Kay from a past trip report - I can't believe she's already an adult (and a lovely looking one, at that!). How time flies...

She's all growed up now. :)

What lovely pictures from the Japanese gardens. G and I visited one in Golden Gate Park on our honeymoon (there's even a picture of G in the garden in my current TR) and we really enjoyed it. It was a small Japanese garden, but it was quite tranquil and very beautiful.

In the Graduation one?
I'm behind on several
TRs (been busy)
But hope to catch up soon.

I'd LOVE to visit Seattle and go to Pike Place Market! What a fun time! I think your TR chapter title was appropriate (goodness, you squeeze you buy?! What if the fruit is bad?!).

You buy (bad), you cry (bad).

I am also a huge chowder fan and HAVE to remember that restaurant when we get to Seattle! I don't know that I could eat that much soup (plus a lobster roll!), but the sampler is definitely the way to go! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

Yes! You must!
It was soooooo good!!!

Have a GREAT TIME on your vacation with Elle! I hope you have a wonderful time in Disney World (I think May the 4th won't be too bad this year - imagine next year when Galaxy's Edge is open! :scared: ). I know you'll have a great time in Universal - enjoy Escape from Gringotts, Diagon Alley, the Royal Pacific Resort, and those Unlimited Express Passes! I look forward to hearing all about it when you get back! :goodvibes

Thanks, Jenny! :goodvibes

Made it through part 1!

Hey! Andy!
:welcome: to the TR!

That's a lot of road trip... and I've got to say, I don't think it is crazy at all. I'd do something like that in a heartbeat. I love just driving, and getting out by myself, on my schedule, seeing what I want to see... yeah, I could get into that.

I love it too.
While it was a bit
regimented this time
(had to be here by time)
it was still relaxing. :)

I'm just a bit shocked that you didn't take the bike though... :rolleyes1

Couldn't.
Had to cover too many
miles in too short a time.

I'm glad you got to see Elton John and swim with Destiny... or I guess maybe it was Festiny or something since it was Georgia Aquarium instead of Disney...

:laughing:

However... both were great. :)

Actually, just on the other side of I-65. Like when you got off the exit, you literally drove within a couple hundred feet of the place. If you'd looked out your passenger side window...

:headache:

Maybe 3rd time's the charm.

I can't believe Itchin' Betty didn't get splattered on the asphalt at some point on this trip.

It was a close thing.

But she begged for
her life and I showed
her leniency.

By the way, I saw on the map that you stopped at Mann's Harley Davidson. That's 6 miles from where I work and I eat lunch about every day at one of the restaurants around there... Sorry I was MIA from the Dis, because there's a good chance we probably could have made something work for at least a quick meet up there.

Oh!
Well, if you stick around,
the next time I'm that way
I'll post my itinerary and
maybe we can meet up. :)

I felt the same way about you, and the same way about @pkondz. Like old friends connecting again

Very much so!
I was completely
at ease when we met. :)

No comments about "old" pkondz! :laughing:

No comment needed?
I'm that old.

And... I was just thinking
of you @Tracy161
I just watched the finale
of Blown Away last night.
I know who won, now!

I won't say if it was my fave,
least fave, or someone in between.

But I will say that there were
some pretty incredible pieces
done over the season!
Thanks again for telling me
about it.
I really enjoyed it!!!

Tracy is wonderful!
She made me feel
so welcome!
She is indeed a
very special lady. :)
Awww, shucks :blush:

I plan on going back
and doing a much longer
visit.
And hopefully even take
a class or two!
Music to my ears :goodvibes

No comment needed?
I'm that old.
:rolleyes2 Went for it anyway, didn't ya?! :laughing:

I just watched the finale
of Blown Away last night.
I know who won, now!
Oooh, so jealous!

Thanks again for telling me
about it.
I really enjoyed it!!!
Of course! So glad you enjoyed it :goodvibes

I'm sure I'll be back here before you go, but I cannot believe you're SO close to your trip!!! So excited for you! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Ew!
Where was that???

The bedbugs were at a Microtel in the middle of rural Kansas - it's been so many years I don't remember exactly where. (I may have also blocked it out! :laughing: ) I know that bedbugs can happen anywhere, but I don't think I'll ever be able to stay at a Microtel again!

The massive spider was at the Super 8 in Muscatine, Iowa. There was a huge golf tournament in town so we were unable to book at the Hampton Inn, my usual go-to hotel. I think this was just bad luck, as I've actually stayed at several Super 8 motels that were just fine. (In fact, I escaped to the Super 8 after the bedbug hotel - it was a great improvement!)

My travel included a lot of small towns so we often had to take what we could get in terms of hotels. There were not many fancy hotels to be had in most places we went - the Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, and Country Inn and Suites were always treats when we could book them!

In the Graduation one?
I'm behind on several
TRs (been busy)
But hope to catch up soon.

Yes! I posted it several years ago :rotfl: so who can remember? :laughing:

You can find it in the middle of this post. It was a lovely garden!

Reminds me of an old movie
where the folk come in from
the farm into the big city.
They marvel at all the tall
buildings.
Others see them looking and
after a while, a crowd is looking
up.
"What's goin on?"
"I think it's a jumper."
The farm folk turn to each
other and say.
"Did you hear that?
Let's get out of here."

Leaving a crowd staring
up at nothing.

that's hilarious. Pretty much the same concept. Someone sees someone doing something...doesn't want to miss it...then others join in...then rumors start flying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter