Canadian Buffoon's Exhausted Vacation - Update 09/01 - New TR link!

Just read the life update. Nice that you were able to get out a little bit.
It really was.
Nice spending time with the girls, too. :)

We also had two small getaways. In November we spent two nights at Tara Inn.
Looked it up. Beautiful. And big!
Then last week we went to Landolls Mohican Castle. Our first time there.
Looked that up too, of course.
I thought I recognized it.
You say you hadn't been, but...

maybe you mentioned it to me before?
It’s been on two shows. One was a ghost hunt. The other was with Gordon Ramsey and he redid the menu at their restaurant.
Ah!
I've often wondered how the places
he goes to fare after he leaves.
I had short rib and mashed potatoes. The beef was good but the mashed potatoes were probably the best I’ve ever had.
Really!
I guess they kept his
recipe for those. :)
In May my friend and I are planning a short trip to Columbus.
To see anything in particular?

I'm a bit landlocked right now.
I can't leave the Province,
not even to visit other Provinces.
And I'm feeling a bit stir-crazy.

Okay, I have returned from the depths. What a year it has been. I will be catching up on this thread! Hope all is well, friend!

Okay, I read your year's recap. It is a bummer that you were stuck this side of the 49th after getting your annual pass.

It does look like you did get to enjoy portions of 2020 and stay safe! The stairs look great! You got out camping a few times which I am very jealous of.

I hope your injury is getting better. What happened?

We managed all the way up until December 2nd when Ally, her brother and I all tested positive. (I am positive it was from working at retail at Apple despite them saying no way Jose). We were all okay though and quarantined together. I started a new job with the Provincial Health Authority so I also now have my vaccine.

OH WOW THE BIG THING THAT HAPPENED IN 2020, Ally and I got engaged after only 7 and a half years together! August 27th!

Okay, I have returned from the depths. What a year it has been. I will be catching up on this thread! Hope all is well, friend!
Well, hi there! Nice to "see" you again. :)
It is a bummer that you were stuck this side of the 49th after getting your annual pass.
At least I got a refund. Partial, but... a refund.
The stairs look great!
:) Thanks!
You got out camping a few times which I am very jealous of.
We're already talking about doing some more this summer. Sure doesn't look like we'll be able to go anywhere else again this summer.
I hope your injury is getting better. What happened?
I'm still not really sure. The tendonitis is still present, but mostly manageable. The hip? I just don't know. It slowly got better and I've been running since. Did 7K a couple days ago, and felt it a bit afterwards. So it's not gone and definitely not forgotten!
We managed all the way up until December 2nd when Ally, her brother and I all tested positive. (I am positive it was from working at retail at Apple despite them saying no way Jose).
Oh!
We were all okay though and quarantined together. I started a new job with the Provincial Health Authority so I also now have my vaccine.
Glad you are all okay. Interesting that you still got vaccinated, though. I'd have thought you wouldn't need it since you already had it?
I'm not eligible yet for the vaccine. I work in an essential service, but the powers that be don't seem to be taking that into account. And I'm not at all surprised. There's just so many essential services out there! Still... the age limit is sloooowly making its way down to me.
OH WOW THE BIG THING THAT HAPPENED IN 2020, Ally and I got engaged after only 7 and a half years together! August 27th!
Congrats to you both!!! :goodvibes

Cheers from a fellow Manitoban...I live just east Birds Hill Park. I've read all your trip reports and love your sense of humour!

Cheers from a fellow Manitoban...I live just east Birds Hill Park. I've read all your trip reports and love your sense of humour!
Well :welcome: to the TR!
What is with our weather lately?!?!?!?
I'm planning on putting up another post
on what it's like to live in perpetual (or so it feels)
winter at the request of another reader.

I'm sure you'll feel my pain.

I see. I guess I thought there might be metal ones brought from Europe, perhaps.
I mean... you have metal instruments, so you could have metal stands, no?

This is a modern wire stand. The metal work is just too modern to pass as a civil war era piece of work.

31gkuiGuZRL._AC_SY780_.jpg

Not what I was asking, but you answered that in the next sentence.
Still... that does explain why you were the drummer. :)

OK I definitely don't get this one. What did you mean "why" I was the drummer. Why not?

Did not know that. So... really authentic!

:confused3

My thought was "lay on the ground moaning"... And small children in the audience are traumatized.

I'm not exactly sure how parents explained these events to their children....

7-8 months... long delay!

When I look at the photos on my newest TR, the ones from 2009 you can see her neck is visibly skinnier than other photos. That's due to the weight loss from being on the ventilator.

I dunno... I mean... are you really going to use a civil war era cannon for anything other than for show? Might need a permit to set it off in an area that isn't a range, though?
I have no clue.

Me neither. Good question.

What???? really??? That's... I don't know what the word is. Bizarre? People are dying here, folks

Americans are actually sick puppies. Even into the 1920s, events like lynchings were public spectacles.

My thoughts as well.
History doesn't change just from ignoring it.

In fact by ignoring it, we are destined to repeat it. Learning about it gives us the opportunity to change the outcome.

Yay! Looking forward to this!. Since I live in perpetual summer, this will be eye opening to me!

This is a modern wire stand. The metal work is just too modern to pass as a civil war era piece of work.
I can see that. ::yes::
OK I definitely don't get this one. What did you mean "why" I was the drummer. Why not?
Because you wanted to do something, and be part of the group. :)
I'm not exactly sure how parents explained these events to their children....
Hopefully truthfully and honestly. It's (imho) usually not a great idea to lie to your kids. They're much smarter than you think, I think.
When I look at the photos on my newest TR, the ones from 2009 you can see her neck is visibly skinnier than other photos. That's due to the weight loss from being on the ventilator.
Not surprised at all.
Americans are actually sick puppies. Even into the 1920s, events like lynchings were public spectacles.
I don't think you have the monopoly on that.... ever heard of a guillotine?

;)
In fact by ignoring it, we are destined to repeat it. Learning about it gives us the opportunity to change the outcome.
Completely agree.
Yay! Looking forward to this!. Since I live in perpetual summer, this will be eye opening to me!
Yep. It's at your request. :)

I had to reply to this message that we in Ontario may be getting the dreaded snow on Wednesday this week. I know it doesn't compare to your weather but we have had nice days for a while now. It is funny as 2 of the news people on CP24 News show (weather person and anchor) have made a pact that they won't mention the SNOW word so they have to be creative as to what they call it.
I have been reading along but I just don't comment but I have enjoyed your Year in the Life of report. We don't know yet if we will be able to visit the cottage yet but somebody will have to go up there to make sure everything is okay with it as we haven't been up since last November.
Oh and I read on another thread that you are getting your vaccine and that is great news. I got my last week and my Mother, Sister and Brother have all gotten theirs as well.

I had to reply to this message that we in Ontario may be getting the dreaded snow on Wednesday this week.
Tag! You're it!

We had snow (a lot of snow) a few days ago...
then it was 20C two days ago...
then we had snow yesterday.

I don't know what to wear anymore.
I know it doesn't compare to your weather but we have had nice days for a while now. It is funny as 2 of the news people on CP24 News show (weather person and anchor) have made a pact that they won't mention the SNOW word so they have to be creative as to what they call it.
:laughing:
Well, that should be fun.
"Frozen precipitation"
"Fluffy stuff"

etc.
I have been reading along but I just don't comment but I have enjoyed your Year in the Life of report.
Glad you enjoyed it, Judy. :)
We don't know yet if we will be able to visit the cottage yet but somebody will have to go up there to make sure everything is okay with it as we haven't been up since last November.
There's a lot of not-so-happy people here. A fairly large group of people have cottages just over the MB/ON border and can't go unless they quarantine for 2 weeks upon return.
Oh and I read on another thread that you are getting your vaccine and that is great news.
Yes!
I got my last week and my Mother, Sister and Brother have all gotten theirs as well.
Great!
I know when my folks got theirs,
it was such a relief.
I imagine you felt the same
when your family got it.

Hopefully truthfully and honestly. It's (imho) usually not a great idea to lie to your kids. They're much smarter than you think, I think.

I don't have any kids (obviously) but I see your logic. Parents think they're a lot smarter, but eventually the kids will catch on, if nothing else when they grow up.

I don't think you have the monopoly on that.... ever heard of a guillotine?

;)

Well, true....

Yep. It's at your request. :)

Yay! Looking forward to it!

I don't have any kids (obviously) but I see your logic. Parents think they're a lot smarter, but eventually the kids will catch on, if nothing else when they grow up.
Yup.
And then they won't change your
diaper when you want.
Yay! Looking forward to it!
Must admit... just having an overall
lack of motivation right now.
But... eventually.

Argggghhhh!!!! What are we on now...third winter? Fourth? I managed to get sunburned Saturday, working up a sweat in the yard and then bundled up in my parka back yesterday. On the bright side, I managed to snag an AstraZeneca appointment today as one of the over 40 crowd! I get jabbed next Tuesday 😊

Argggghhhh!!!! What are we on now...third winter? Fourth?
:sad2:
I think I've either lost count...
or lost hope.

One or the other.

Maybe both.
I managed to get sunburned Saturday, working up a sweat in the yard and then bundled up in my parka back yesterday
That's about as Manitoban
a thing you can say. ;)

On the bright side, I managed to snag an AstraZeneca appointment today as one of the over 40 crowd! I get jabbed next Tuesday 😊
Good!!

Yup.
And then they won't change your
diaper when you want.

I don't have anyone who will change my diaper.....

Must admit... just having an overall
lack of motivation right now.
But... eventually.

Well shoot! You do have me curious, especially since I still have no idea what your kind of winter is like. I mean we get bummed when there is rain, and if it lasts more than a morning or afternoon that's devastating. I'm not even sure what shoveling snow would mean or be like. And I've heard stories of Southern Californians going to colder climates and walking outside after having shampooed their hair only to have it freeze with ice crystals. Like whaaaat???????

All of this is mind boggling to me. Me who didn't even get her jacket out of the closet this winter. Mostly I guess because we didn't go anywhere, but still. Had we gone out at night, I'm not sure it would have been cold enough to require an actual jacket. An overflannel would probably have been enough.

I don't have anyone who will change my diaper.....
You need to train your cats.
Well shoot! You do have me curious, especially since I still have no idea what your kind of winter is like. I mean we get bummed when there is rain, and if it lasts more than a morning or afternoon that's devastating. I'm not even sure what shoveling snow would mean or be like.
It may surprise you to know that we get
almost as much sunshine as you do.
We average 316 sunny days/year
to your 345.

As for shoveling snow...
It's such a joy to do that!

Not.

However... there's actually
a right way to shovel it,

and a wrong way.
And I've heard stories of Southern Californians going to colder climates and walking outside after having shampooed their hair only to have it freeze with ice crystals. Like whaaaat???????
You mean like this?
All of this is mind boggling to me. Me who didn't even get her jacket out of the closet this winter.
Well, in that we're the same!
I didn't take my jacket out
of the closet this winter either.

My coat however... I wore every day.

The jacket came out in the spring.
Mostly I guess because we didn't go anywhere, but still. Had we gone out at night, I'm not sure it would have been cold enough to require an actual jacket. An overflannel would probably have been enough.
I still go to work, so I go out all the time. (Plus shopping.)

It may surprise you to know that we get
almost as much sunshine as you do.
We average 316 sunny days/year
to your 345.

Not surprising. You've mentioned this before. We have the May gray and June gloom. I really enjoy those phenomenon aside keeps the temperature moderate. I actually like the rainy days too, but I'm not in the majority here.

As for shoveling snow...
It's such a joy to do that!

Not.

However... there's actually
a right way to shovel it,

and a wrong way.

See now I wouldn't know that. I'd think you just put the shovel in and dig. Then again once the snow is in the shovel, where do you toss it? I can see that there is more to this than one would think.

You mean like this?

Well I pictured it less Medusa like. More just the hair hanging naturally around the face and ice crystals forming.

Well, in that we're the same!
I didn't take my jacket out
of the closet this winter either.

My coat however... I wore every day.

The jacket came out in the spring.

Seeci don't know the difference between a jacket and a coat. :confused3

I still go to work, so I go out all the time. (Plus shopping.)

Well I go out all the time but it's normally between the hours of 10AM and 6PM. When I sit in bed watching the news the temperature outside is usually between 45-55°F, but once the sun rises the temperature rises pretty quickly. Even on the days when the high Temps don't reach the 70's it's still not cold enough for anything more than an overshirt.

Now last night we had dinner outside (at a restaurant) and after the sun went down it cooled down enough that both of us were happy to have brought our overshirts. Maybe a couple months ago a coat or jacket might have been nice.

Not surprising. You've mentioned this before. We have the May gray and June gloom. I really enjoy those phenomenon aside keeps the temperature moderate.
And you've mentioned that before. :)
I actually like the rainy days too, but I'm not in the majority here.
Hmmm...
Not sure if I can say I like rainy days.
Mostly not, since it prevents me
from getting on my bike.
And at work, it makes me busier
(although not as busy as when it snows.)
But if I'm not working and not planning

on riding... then I don't mind a rainy day. :)
See now I wouldn't know that. I'd think you just put the shovel in and dig. Then again once the snow is in the shovel, where do you toss it? I can see that there is more to this than one would think.
You actually don't dig. :)
Well I pictured it less Medusa like. More just the hair hanging naturally around the face and ice crystals forming.
I was just having fun.
But what you are talking about is
definitely a thing.
I found this photo that's closer

to what you describe:
Seeci don't know the difference between a jacket and a coat. :confused3
"A jacket is a garment for the upper body, usually extending below the hips. A jacket typically has sleeves, and fastens in the front or slightly on the side. A jacket is generally lighter, tighter-fitting, and less insulating than a coat, which is outerwear."
Well I go out all the time but it's normally between the hours of 10AM and 6PM. When I sit in bed watching the news the temperature outside is usually between 45-55°F, but once the sun rises the temperature rises pretty quickly. Even on the days when the high Temps don't reach the 70's it's still not cold enough for anything more than an overshirt.
Okay, I get that.
At this time of year, I'm always checking
the forecast to try and decide what
I should wear when going to work.
The temp can fluctuate pretty wildly
from start to finish.
There have been many times when
I check the temp to see if I can ride,
and at first I think I can as it's...
oh, let's say 60. But by the end of shift,
the forecast is for 32 and that's just

past my limit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter