• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Canadian Buffoon's Solo Disney Vacation - Update 07/08! pp99 - Here today gone tomorrow

SCORE!! on the room location. too funny about how Nebo would have handled it! last time we were at movies, in the jazz section,w e also got a handicapped accessible room,, I did NOT like that the whole room got soaked when you took a shower! and nebo mostly takes baths. (he looked pretty silly sitting there crouched on the tile floor, trying to splash the water up around him.....)

wow!!! 9 pages behins already??? yikes! ok, going back to read!

Smidgy!!!!! :yay:

You found us!
I was keeping my fingers crossed that you'd show up!
(Who knew that worked??? :confused3)

So glad to see you here. Enjoy the previous pages,
then you'll be all caught up and ready to join the contest.

Lucky for you it's just getting started.

ok, I forwarded the email with the link to nebo.. but I can't figure out how to log him in to the new disboards. I am logged in.. I don't see anywhere for me to register him, . for me to log out, and to log him in. (did a mention I hate technology? lol) I tried going through his aol account, but I see nowhere to log me out and him in.

It's not exactly intuitive, but here's how to log out.

Top right corner or the page, you'll see your username (Smidgy).
Hover (don't click) the mouse over your name and a drop down window will appear.
At the bottom right of the window you'll see it says "Log Out".
Voila.

I think the DIS needs to start paying me for these things.
I recently explained to someone how to multi-quote.
And I'm pretty sure I've done other tutorials too! :laughing:

SCORE!! on the room location. too funny about how Nebo would have handled it! last time we were at movies, in the jazz section,w e also got a handicapped accessible room,, I did NOT like that the whole room got soaked when you took a shower! and nebo mostly takes baths. (he looked pretty silly sitting there crouched on the tile floor, trying to splash the water up around him.....)

:rotfl:Putting that comment in about Neebs just wouldn't be the same without you guys reading it!

I like baths too, and I'll (if I remember) mention it in the next chapter or two.
But I can just see Nebo sitting there, trying to get wet.

Great... Now that's a visual that I'm never going to get out of my head!

Okay... I'm off to bed now.
But had to take the time to welcome you to the show! :goodvibes

You said that a lot. You've obviously been at this a little more effectively than I have.
Well, I've been several times... But most of those have been checked off over the last 3 trips.

No. I didn't have my seat reserved. That only happened when I could check in.
Oh, gotcha. I thought you'd already paid the $50 per leg and had 1F reserved ahead of time.

That's true. I never thought of that.
I should've ordered tons of alcohol too.
I could've always poured it down the sink or something...

Too much?
Well, you could have poured one out for your homies.

Okay. You caught me. It's embarrassing, but I'll tell you what really happened.

Remember the conversation with the border guard?

"Are you constipated?"

What I really said was. "Yeah... And I'm about to blow right here and now."
"Oh for the love of... You put down the wrong passport number, but just go. Go!"
Wait a minute... you said the words, "I'm about to blow" to a border guard and didn't get a one way ticket to Gitmo????? :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Okay, I'll put you down as one vote for Nemo.
If that's right though, you still won't get points.

Maybe I'll have to change that to give partial points since there are so few choices....

Hmmmmm... Have to think about that.
Your contest, your rules. Make them up as you go! :thumbsup2

I am really enjoying your report so far and am excited to see if I can find that tree of yours. And know it won't count but I think your going to FOTLK

Well, I've been several times... But most of those have been checked off over the last 3 trips.

Okay, I don't feel so inept now.
Three trips ago, I didn't know about a lot of the things that I've now got on my list!

Well, you could have poured one out for your homies.

True.
Now I feel inept again.

Wait a minute... you said the words, "I'm about to blow" to a border guard and didn't get a one way ticket to Gitmo????? :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

:lmao:

Good point! :rotfl:

But explosive diarrhea trumps explosives every time.

Your contest, your rules. Make them up as you go! :thumbsup2

Ya got that right!
In ways that you'll probably enjoy... ;)

All caught up :)

You got some great pics around AK. I love the safari ones :thumbsup2

Thanks, Dawn.
That's quite a compliment coming from you.
I've seen the Safari pics from your TRs, ya know!

I am really enjoying your report so far and am excited to see if I can find that tree of yours. And know it won't count but I think your going to FOTLK

Thanks Dawn.

Whoa.... I'm having a wicked deja vu right now....

Sorry.
It's easy to find "that tree of yours" as you put it.
Simply walk up to any CM and ask where "pkondz's tree is" and that should do it.

It may not count (your guess of FOTLK)... and then again.... :rolleyes:

Hi there! I'm just caught up. I was making notes in my head about what I wanted to comment on but since my head is like a sieve I'm probably going to miss something but here goes...

What in the world is body glide? Is it a Canadian thing? You mentioned it here and over on my PTR and my mind just keeps going to NSFW places. :blush: :confused3

Aww! It's so sweet that you don't want your DW to have to shovel while you're away. I think my DH plans his departures to coincide with me having to do the shoveling. :sad1: I'm just kidding, he works and I don't so usually I'm the only one home to shovel. I do take advantage of his presence on the weekends. ;)

Your experience with WestJet has me seriously considering Early Bird check in with Southwest. It wouldn't give us more leg room or free snacks but it would speed things up a bit and give us a better chance of being able to sit together and it's only $100 for the four of us. Something to think about. :scratchin

It's great that you were able to spend a 9 hour layover with your sis. It's like two vacations in one. :goodvibes

Sounds like you lucked out and got pretty much what you wanted at ASMu. I've read that they have great bus service and it sounds (at least so far) that that's what you experienced.

Reading the DIS has made clear that I have been completely wrong with how we approached Mousekeeping. IIRC we left about $5/day at the end of the trip. This time I'm going to make sure that we leave the $5 each day.

You rode EE twice before 9:30? :thumbsup2 I haven't done it yet but I hope to find time for the single rider line this trip. I really like the pics you got on the safari. I know what you mean about the Safari pics, I feel like I've seen it all reading the TRs but I can say I've not seen a better pic of the hippos. The Rhino pics are great, too. I can't wait to see the animals at AK. :lovestruc Too bad Flame Tree was closed, I'm hoping it's open by the time we get there.

I'm sure someone's already guessed it but I will say FOTLK.

Hi there! I'm just caught up. I was making notes in my head about what I wanted to comment on but since my head is like a sieve I'm probably going to miss something but here goes...

Hi!
Ya know. Sometimes I wonder what people might look like in real life.
And sometimes I'm fortunate enough that I can meet them.
Some have TRs of their own and I see them there.
But now I have a very distinct picture of you in my head!

451_sieve_zpsd9otdeqx.jpg

Odd.... But if you say so, who am I to question???

What in the world is body glide? Is it a Canadian thing? You mentioned it here and over on my PTR and my mind just keeps going to NSFW places. :blush: :confused3

No, it's not a Canadian thing, although we do have it up here as well.
I found out about it here on the DIS.

It's a product that prevents blisters from forming in the first place by controlling chafing.

I checked and you can get it at several locations in Rhode Island.
Here's a link:
http://www.bodyglide.com/store-locator/

Stuff works great. Rolls on like an antiperspirant stick.

Aww! It's so sweet that you don't want your DW to have to shovel while you're away. I think my DH plans his departures to coincide with me having to do the shoveling. :sad1: I'm just kidding, he works and I don't so usually I'm the only one home to shovel. I do take advantage of his presence on the weekends. ;)

We both work, but I insist on doing the lion's share of the shovelling.
Well, maybe not when I throw my back out and can't move, but otherwise...

As to how it worked out when I was away?
Well you'll just have to keep reading, right?

Your experience with WestJet has me seriously considering Early Bird check in with Southwest. It wouldn't give us more leg room or free snacks but it would speed things up a bit and give us a better chance of being able to sit together and it's only $100 for the four of us. Something to think about. :scratchin

Do think about it.
Decide if it's worth it and go from there.
For me? Totally worth it and I will do it again.

It's great that you were able to spend a 9 hour layover with your sis. It's like two vacations in one. :goodvibes

It really was!
It felt like I'd flown to Toronto for the sole purpose of seeing her.
Would I have liked to have gotten into Disney at a less God forsaken time?
Well, sure.
But since I couldn't, this was a terrific option.

Sounds like you lucked out and got pretty much what you wanted at ASMu. I've read that they have great bus service and it sounds (at least so far) that that's what you experienced.

Our first on site stay was at POR. We'd heard mixed reviews about the busses...
but never had a complaint.
We then stayed at ASMu and again, no complaints.
So far, once again, no complaints.
Will that change???
I've got all the times, judge for yourself!

Reading the DIS has made clear that I have been completely wrong with how we approached Mousekeeping. IIRC we left about $5/day at the end of the trip. This time I'm going to make sure that we leave the $5 each day.

Please don't feel like I'm dictating how to tip Mousekeeping.
If you're comfortable with $5/day at the end of the trip, then do that.
My reasoning is that I may or may not have the same person every day
and I have no idea how the tips get split up... or even if they do.
YMMV.

You rode EE twice before 9:30? :thumbsup2

I didn't say that.
I rode EE twice and Dinosaur before 9:30.
I probably rode EE twice before 9:10! :laughing:

I haven't done it yet but I hope to find time for the single rider line this trip.

That single rider line sure was convenient.
Made the decision to ride again a no brainer.

I really like the pics you got on the safari. I know what you mean about the Safari pics, I feel like I've seen it all reading the TRs but I can say I've not seen a better pic of the hippos.

Thanks! I do believe that Andy's and mine are pretty much carbon copies.
But at the time... I thought, "Wow! I've really got a unique shot here!"

The Rhino pics are great, too. I can't wait to see the animals at AK. :lovestruc

Thanks again. And to think I wasn't going to even go on that ride.
And I really enjoyed it!
I guess because it's different every time.

Too bad Flame Tree was closed, I'm hoping it's open by the time we get there.

I knew going in that it would be closed.
But I can't say I wasn't disappointed.

I'm sure someone's already guessed it but I will say FOTLK.

Yup. But I'll add your name to the ever growing FOTLK list! :laughing:

LOVE the trip report. You should seriously write a travel book.

Hi Tricia! :wave2: And welcome to the TR!
I could be wrong, but you just might be my farthest south reader.
Either way, I'm betting that your temps are slightly warmer
than what we've got up here right now! :laughing:

That's quite the compliment you've just dropped there!
I'm very flattered you'd think that.
Better be careful or it's likely to go straight to my head!
Just ask anyone. It doesn't take much. :lmao:

Again, welcome! :goodvibes

ok, testing this.. I am posting under nebo.. I am hoping I am getting this right... at least getting him postin. I still ahve to figeure our an avatar for him''

wow, just looked back at what I posted.... I wish....//....lol
\

this is smidgy . I hope i have figured out how to subscribe nebo to thie thread. (no I haven't figured out how to get him an avatar yet..)

and ok now you are al laughing at me.. !!!I HATE technology!!!

ok, testing this.. I am posting under nebo.. I am hoping I am getting this right... at least getting him postin. I still ahve to figeure our an avatar for him''

Yup. You got it right.

Somehow, you and Nebo switched avatars.
But that's okay.

wow, just looked back at what I posted.... I wish....//....lol
\

You're posting more and more like Nebo everyday!
Obviously he's rubbing off on you.

Whoopsie! Family board!

this is smidgy . I hope i have figured out how to subscribe nebo to thie thread. (no I haven't figured out how to get him an avatar yet..)

Yes. He's subscribed.
I think He should still use this as an avatar.

nebopartsthelagoonfinal.jpg

Or maybe it's just me.

Or if you like, I could re-post "Coppertone Steve". :rolleyes1

and ok now you are al laughing at me.. !!!I HATE technology!!!

Oh, no Smidgy. We aren't laughing at you.
We're laughing with you!
Right gang?
Right?

Right?

Sorry, they're all too busy laughing right now to answer.

But it's with you. Honest.

:rotfl2:

Seriously, avatar/no avatar. We don't care. Just get him back on here!!

Just keep swimming, er, typing. Don't give up Smidgy!

What she said! :goodvibes

I can definitely do Kinder eggs. I forgot you don't have those in the States.
Except there's a reason. These are as contraband in the US as lawn darts in Canada. They WILL be seized at the border if found!!

Just love the folklore that has grown around the ban on Kinder eggs actually.

Ponzi, don’t your fingers get tired with all this typing?

At the end of each Disney day...

Note! I said End of each Disney day NOT the end of each chapter!

NOT the end of the TR!

All right already! Settle down.

At the end of each Disney day, I will post one picture that I will indicate is the contest picture.

The first person to correctly identify what and where the photo is will get points.

If you guess where, you get partial points.

This sounds complicated. Sure you’ll be able to keep this straight?

Plus, there'll be bonus points awarded on a totally random basis.

(i.e. I'm lazy and if I forget, or don't wanna... oh well.)

There’s the disclaimer.

The winner will receive* some of....

These:

Define “some.”

That enough incentive for ya?

See above.

Easy, right? Right.

So, with that out of the way, shall I continue?

No, just keep blathering…er..I mean giving us important information.

After being up for so long the day before and only getting five hours of sleep,

you'd think that I might have some difficulty waking up this early.

Not on the first day.

I had four more mornings and four more showers.

That feeling never went away the whole time.

Every morning.

Shower.

Pull back shower curtain.

See water on floor.

Gasp!

Feel like I got caught with my hand in the cookie jar.

Remember that it was supposed to happen.

Still feel guilty.

Didn’t someone once define insanity as repeating the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

I grabbed a pre-printed envelope, stuffed five bucks in it for mousekeeping,

put it on the bed and was ready to go.

I’m curious if you got special treatment for being generous. We usually tip pretty well throughout the stay so we get towel animals. Now that we have DVC though we don’t get mousekeeping until the 4th day. The thing that really makes me crazy about this is that they only provide two coffee packets and when I ask for more they give me a hard time. I’m sending an Amazon pantry box this year.

I closed the room door, tried my magic band, just to reassure myself that it still worked

(it did)

See above definition of insanity.

Five minutes later I was grabbing an OJ from the food court and making my way around the building to the bus stop.

No breakfast? I don’t think OJ is going to cut it.

I do believe that while your transportation experience may vary from ride to ride,

the biggest impact will be from your own attitude and/or familiarity with busses.

Or actually waiting…

Best bus service at any resort I’ve stayed at was Coronado. Also, I found I could always get an empty lounger at their pool.

And I was on my way to my first park of the trip!

Which one will it be? Guesses?

Finally! That felt like an eternity waiting for you to get on the bus.

I was planning on park hopping at least one day.

My guess…Today?

Wow! This rope drop thing is really becoming a thing!

I'm glad I hadn't slept a little longer,

or spent the time to towel off the bathroom floor.

Although when you consider there could be 20,000 people passing through on any given day, it’s probably a pretty small percentage.

You got there early, you scoped out all the possible entries.

You picked the one where there was only one person in front of you...

And he doesn't know how to use his magic band and finger print.

It is a little tricky the first time.

I didn't have any fast passes for the morning...

(What? Why not! Oh, settle down. You'll see eventually.)

Because you have them at another park that you will be visting later?

Disney does not scrimp on the details, I'll definitely give them that!

Especially at that park.

so can you blame me for what happened when I finally got a chance to sit down???

Funny. Did you research where the cameras were on all the rides?

The ride?

Dinosaur!

Are you kidding me?! That’s the second ride? What about the safari? It’s far superior!

I decided to sashay over towards Kilimanjaro Safaris and see what the wait time was.

Maybe I'll go for a ride and see some critters.

Phew.

I'd already hiked the various trails.

Aren’t they a bit different each time since they are populated with live animals?

I'd already been on Prime Evil Whirl... and don't ever intend to be caught on it again.

I like that ride except for the time the heavens opened up on us and we got completely drenched by a tropical storm.

You can go to any amusement park in the world and buy souvenirs.

But how many have the actual artisans creating the wares right in front of you?

And a lot of the stuff is pretty reasonably priced. My daughter had a leather bracelet with her name engraved in it. She has an unusual name so she always likes the opportunity to have something personalized.

But several times, I'd start to compose a shot,

fully realizing that people were about to walk in front of the camera... and prepared to wait...

and people would usually stop, so as not to be in my way.

I always wait if I see someone with a camera. Sometimes I’m oblivious to it though.

Great chapter, Ponzi.

I just noticed the name of this chapter. There's a classic Seinfeld episode with the same name...

You know we may have a new word here to go with TMW's PRAC!

Yes! I think I've already told at least two people about the 'frican lions! :laughing:

Except there's a reason. These are as contraband in the US as lawn darts in Canada. They WILL be seized at the border if found!!

They will?
I knew you couldn't sell 'em, didn't know you couldn't send them as a gift.
I think I'll probably risk it anyway if she wins.
I think it's unlikely that they'd open the package, wouldn't you think?

Hang on... I'll check on some details...

$2,500 fine... per egg???????

Umm.... okay, maybe I'll have to come up with a plan 'C'.

Just love the folklore that has grown around the ban on Kinder eggs actually.

::yes::

Ponzi, don’t your fingers get tired with all this typing?

Oh, no. Not at al... hang on.... tired..... wait..........
Okay. Where was I?
Oh, no. Not at all. It's people like you who make it all worth it.

All right already! Settle down.

Oh, no. Not at all. It's people like you who make it all worth it.

Whoops! I mean, I posted that for people not like you!
Really!

This sounds complicated. Sure you’ll be able to keep this straight?

Not a chance.
Therefore....

There’s the disclaimer.

...Ta dah!

Define “some.”

How many do you want?

No, just keep blathering…er..I mean giving us important information.

I'm so glad you clarified your response.

As the author, I can make you appear in this TR ya know.

Just sayin'.

Not on the first day.

True.

Didn’t someone once define insanity as repeating the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

Attributed to Einstein... except he never said it.
Plus it's not the definition of insanity.
This is:

Insanity n. mental illness of such a severe nature that a person cannot distinguish fantasy from reality, cannot conduct her/his affairs due to psychosis, or is subject to uncontrollable impulsive behavior.

Wait.... that's me!!

I’m curious if you got special treatment for being generous. We usually tip pretty well throughout the stay so we get towel animals. Now that we have DVC though we don’t get mousekeeping until the 4th day. The thing that really makes me crazy about this is that they only provide two coffee packets and when I ask for more they give me a hard time. I’m sending an Amazon pantry box this year.

Hard to say. I will say that I did not get towel animals everyday.
My room was clean, the bed was made, the towels were replaced.
And that's all I ask for.

See above definition of insanity.

Just settle down, lady!

No breakfast? I don’t think OJ is going to cut it.

I had my reasons... good ones, too.
You'll see.

Or actually waiting…

Best bus service at any resort I’ve stayed at was Coronado. Also, I found I could always get an empty lounger at their pool.

Yes, waiting.
But time is subjective isn't it?

One person is seething mad because it took 20 minutes... 20!... for the bus to finally get there!
That's inexcusable! Disney needs to do something about the terrible bus service!

While the other person (me) is sitting there thinking Wow! The bus came in only 20 minutes!
That's amazing for a company and area this size!
Disney needs to know how great I think their bus is!

Finally! That felt like an eternity waiting for you to get on the bus.

You need to read more quickly.

:lmao:

My guess…Today?

What would make you think that?...

Although when you consider there could be 20,000 people passing through on any given day, it’s probably a pretty small percentage.

Yes, I agree.
I just remember the last time we did rope drop at AK (about 5 years ago)
there was nowhere near as many people waiting.

It is a little tricky the first time.

Thanks. And yes.
To be honest, I'm still not 100% sure about it.
The band makes the light go in a circle... does it have to turn green too?
How long before you can remove the band? When the light starts? Makes a full circle?

Because you have them at another park that you will be visting later?

... You're very observant.

Funny. Did you research where the cameras were on all the rides?

Sort of.
That shot is actually from the second ride.
After the first ride, I saw where the strobe was in the ride for the picture and posed on the second.
But it makes for better story telling if I pretend I fell asleep on the first.

Don't tell no one!

Are you kidding me?! That’s the second ride? What about the safari? It’s far superior!

I actually wasn't even going to do Safari.
But I'm glad I did!

Aren’t they a bit different each time since they are populated with live animals?

Yes... but it still feels zoo like to me.
Given a few more Disney days and I would have taken the time.
But with only four full days, something had to give.
That was just one of those things.

I like that ride except for the time the heavens opened up on us and we got completely drenched by a tropical storm.

I... do not!
Ruby and I rode it... and it was sooo painful.
Never again.
Nope.

Plus, I didn't want to take a chance of having my back or neck go out on me.
Something that will affect my ride choice later on as well.

And a lot of the stuff is pretty reasonably priced. My daughter had a leather bracelet with her name engraved in it. She has an unusual name so she always likes the opportunity to have something personalized.

It is?? I thought it was all over priced?
I wasn't interested in buying anything, so I didn't even check the prices.
I just assumed that everything would be expensive.

Great chapter, Ponzi.

Thanks Laura! :goodvibes

I just noticed the name of this chapter. There's a classic Seinfeld episode with the same name...

I was the master of my Disney domain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter