Canadian dollar

SpaceMonkey35

Don't mind if I do
How bad is this dollar getting! It's one thing planning everything to get the best out of your wdw experience but a pathetic dollar doesn't help. Anyone have any tips on saving a few bucks or how to raise our dollar haha

I have a US dollar savings account for trips to the US. I do run the risk that the exchange will improve between making the deposit and when I actually spend the money but it gives me some peace of mind to have a guaranteed US dollar amount in savings.

In addition, be on the look out for deals. We already have the Canadian resident ticket offer to get more Canadians to visit despite the weak dollar.

I have a US dollar savings account for trips to the US. I do run the risk that the exchange will improve between making the deposit and when I actually spend the money but it gives me some peace of mind to have a guaranteed US dollar amount in savings.

In addition, be on the look out for deals. We already have the Canadian resident ticket offer to get more Canadians to visit despite the weak dollar.

I have a US savings account too. Everytime I see the dollar go to 1.32 or less, I transfer one or two hundred dollars. This hasn't happened lately though.

CAD appears to be impacted now by a combination of the anticipated US interest rate hike next week, and the current weakness in oil. Which direction it goes from here is anybody's guess. Yours is as good as mine or any supposed "expert".

Analyst opinion notwithstanding, according to the actual data in your linked chart, the only year in the past 10 in which this was even close to true was 2014. Most years April/May actually shows a localized low.

Not trying to contradict what you heard, so much as point out how much "analyst opinion" is worth when it comes to currency exchange.

I was fortunate enough to bite the bullet and get my conversion done for my cruise around 1.31 early last week. Boy am I glad I did as it's shot up over 1.35 now won't be slowing down anytime soon especially with the talks of the Fed raising their rates. My brother was waiting for it to drop before 1.30 before exchanging but he's sweating now :scared:

Analyst opinion notwithstanding, according to the actual data in your linked chart, the only year in the past 10 in which this was even close to true was 2014. Most years April/May actually shows a localized low.
Really? On that chart... I see seasonal Spring peaks for Canadian currency on
  • May 2, 2016 » peak at 0.7973
  • May 10, 2015 » peak at 0.8345
  • May 4, 2014 » 0.9233 a brief pullback before a summer peak at July 6, 0.9391
  • May 5, 2013 » peak at 0.9931
  • March 31, 2012 » peak at 1.02
  • April 30, 2011 » 1.02 rebound to 1.0531 on June 30
  • March 31, 2010 » 0.9823 before going down
  • April 9, 2009 » 0.9174 the first peak before higher surge into the rest of the year.
  • April 30, 2008 » 0.9811 the first peak before a long dip
I'm not saying the late April, early May is absolute.... but with oil demand for summer driving.... there is a seasonal pattern the 2nd quarter is a good time for stronger Canadian currency.

I do miss the early February 2017 highs.

• April 9, 2009 » 0.9174 the first peak before higher surge into the rest of the year.
I'm not saying the late April, early May is absolute.... but with oil demand for summer driving.... there is a seasonal pattern the 2nd quarter is a good time for stronger Canadian currency.

Unless the dollar is very stable, which is not usual, you can pick any two or three month period and find a localized high somewhere within that period. I'm not sure that really says much. In nearly every year in the last ten, there was a higher peak within +/- 6 months of the date you listed. Most years within 3 months. So it depends on what you meant by "peaks ... each year". I must have misunderstood your intent.

Granted, I was initially looking at the 10-year view, which smooths out the data considerably, almost to the point of outright inaccuracy. For example, the 10 year view shows a peak of .7966 on March 31/16, and a dip to .7670 on April 30/16; the 2-year view shows that the peak was actually on May 2, as you listed - March didn't get above .7706. Both views show the overall steady climb from January to the beginning of May, but the dates are a bit off on the longer view.

Anyway, my only real point was that currency prediction is always a crapshoot, because it depends heavily on things that haven't happened yet. Analysts are all over the map, because all they can do is make wild guesses on what *might* happen. But here's hoping that the "late April" theory holds this year. I'd love to see a rebound.

Forget February 2017. I miss 2011. :thumbsup2

OK, not related to exchange on the dollar but maybe a way to help save on the vacation. I read on the budget board that BJs Wholesale Club does not require a membership to order the Disney gift cards. You can order them and have them delivered where you are staying. It will help to alleviate a bit of the exchange difference. I plan to do this on the next trip. Has anyone ever done this?

Yes, I have a US$ account and credit card as well. The financial counsellor at my bank suggested smaller, regular transfers from my CDN$ account to the US$ account to even out the flucuations. Been working out pretty well so far.

I've pretty much come to a similar conclusion about the April-May tendencies on the exchange rates. While were not going anytime soon, I'd sure love to grab those discounted tickets before May 20. I'm holding off for now, hoping for better than 75 cents on the dollar.

I also have a USD account, and USVisa. Any time the CAD goes up a little, I put $100 - $200 in. Also I pay off some of my room. I think I have $400ish to go to be PIF for my Nov. trip. Watching Alaska Airfares. They sure are high right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter