Canadian resident tickets

WaterLinds

DIS Veteran
I did a search and found some threads from months ago but most were focused on tickets expiring. We are using our pre-covid Canadian tickets just before they expire, hopefully! So I am wondering if anyone has gone recently with Canadian tickets? Did they ask for ID—I saw several months ago that people were reporting they were no longer checking?

Assuming ID is needed, does anyone know if you can validate the tickets the day before you’re using them, to avoid dealing with it on the first park morning? We’ve done that previously at WDW with Canadian tickets but I know DL is a different process for most things.

Only 2 in our party have the old Canadian tickets, the kids tickets were a better price on another deal (so I had an hours long customer service experience to get them refunded and bought new. It was a lot of rigamarole but Disney eventually made it mostly right.) and we’ve added others to our party who weren’t initially going so they have new tickets. If we can validate those the day before it would be great.

I did a search and found some threads from months ago but most were focused on tickets expiring. We are using our pre-covid Canadian tickets just before they expire, hopefully! So I am wondering if anyone has gone recently with Canadian tickets? Did they ask for ID—I saw several months ago that people were reporting they were no longer checking?

Assuming ID is needed, does anyone know if you can validate the tickets the day before you’re using them, to avoid dealing with it on the first park morning? We’ve done that previously at WDW with Canadian tickets but I know DL is a different process for most things.

Only 2 in our party have the old Canadian tickets, the kids tickets were a better price on another deal (so I had an hours long customer service experience to get them refunded and bought new. It was a lot of rigamarole but Disney eventually made it mostly right.) and we’ve added others to our party who weren’t initially going so they have new tickets. If we can validate those the day before it would be great.
We were there earlier this month using our Canadian tickets. They did ask to see our Canadian passports at the gate the first time we entered. We didn't try going to the ticket booths before entering the parks, so I'm not sure if they could have checked our passports and issued the paper tickets there.

In the past you could activate them at the ticket booth prior to entry. I’m trying to remember when we activated ours from March 2020, and I believe I just showed my Ontario drivers license at the gate itself. Certainly wouldn’t hurt to try and activate it the day before.

Ok, thanks all! We’ll be around the afternoon before (currently booked for noon brunch at Storytellers), so I figure we might as well try.

I’d offer to report back for anyone else in this position but by the time we go there will only be a few days left until these old tickets expire!

We went in July and need our passports on day 1. One member of our group was missing theirs and they had to go back to the hotel to get it.

We were there earlier this month using our Canadian tickets. They did ask to see our Canadian passports at the gate the first time we entered. We didn't try going to the ticket booths before entering the parks, so I'm not sure if they could have checked our passports and issued the paper tickets there.
Exactly the same experience we had in September. On our first day, they asked to see some evidence we were Canadians. I showed them a copy of our passports.

Used our 2020 tickets (purchased from the Alberta Motor Association) a few weeks ago.

I uploaded the tickets into the DL app once I booked our flights earlier in the fall in order to book our park days. We literally walked up to the park gates, they scanned the app, took our pictures, and we were on our way.

ID was never requested - although we did have our driver’s licences, and I keep pictures of our passports and Nexus on my phone.

It is nice to hear that if they need the proof, they can take it at the gates. When we last had Canadian tickets at WDW it required a separate trip to a ticket booth or guest services (or whatever the equivalent at Disney springs is), you couldn’t just use the tickets at the gate. So I was worried about that being a big delay on our first morning, but it sounds like it isn’t a significant slowdown at DL.

WDW also required more than just a drivers license too, I think, and we were told photos/copies wouldn’t suffice. If a picture of a passport (or for my mom her PR card) and/or a license would work, that’s easier too.

I feel reassured, thanks everyone!

Used our 2020 tickets (purchased from the Alberta Motor Association) a few weeks ago.

I uploaded the tickets into the DL app once I booked our flights earlier in the fall in order to book our park days. We literally walked up to the park gates, they scanned the app, took our pictures, and we were on our way.

ID was never requested - although we did have our driver’s licences, and I keep pictures of our passports and Nexus on my phone.
Were these tickets the Canadian resident tickets, though?

Anyone can buy the "regular" tickets. The discussion here is about the Canadian resident tickets/promotion. I thought you could get those only straight from Disney...

No, at least at times Canadian resident tickets have been offered by third party sellers. I can’t speak to the ones referenced above but we have bought Canadian tickets from CAA in the past.

Any other 2020 tickets would have expired last year, too, so if they were able to use the tickets they had without upgrading I’m thinking they must have been the Canadian resident ones.

Were these tickets the Canadian resident tickets, though?

Anyone can buy the "regular" tickets. The discussion here is about the Canadian resident tickets/promotion. I thought you could get those only straight from Disney...
They were very much Canadian Resident tickets - DL extended them to the end of this year.

I wouldn't bother trying to validate early - the cast member at the gate just checked an ID for each adult, it added well under a minute to the process. Except for the one member of our party who didn't have theirs and had to head back to the hotel and get it, that added quite a bit more time...

We are planning to go in 2023 after ours expire. I've heard you'll always be able to use expired tickets to apply to the cost of new ones; it looks like I'll end up paying ~$500 more for our 4 4 day tickets (including Genie+, one child getting older, and the natural ticket price increase). Hopefully this works!

We are planning to go in 2023 after ours expire. I've heard you'll always be able to use expired tickets to apply to the cost of new ones; it looks like I'll end up paying ~$500 more for our 4 4 day tickets (including Genie+, one child getting older, and the natural ticket price increase). Hopefully this works!
My main issue with that is I’ve been told you have to buy the tickets in person to use the value of the old tickets. With the reservation system that makes me nervous! I don’t know how often reservations have been fully booked lately, maybe it’s not an issue most days.

We were in that position with our kids’ tickets because we’d gotten tickets at a better price than the Canadian ones, so they expired last year. When I called in to sort things out they suggested that I should just wait and get them new tickets at the gate. The CM told me she didn’t think the reservation system would still be in place for much of 2022 so it wouldn’t matter—I’m glad I pushed back on that! They finally agreed to refund the value of the tickets if I purchased the new ones while on the phone with them, but it took a long time to get them to agree to that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter