Canadian Tickets- expiry

I have been able to use gift cards when booking through a TA, I can't see why it would be different with a digital one vs a plastic one, I just provided the number to the TA and she called to apply it, or use as a deposit. This was Disney TA, not just costco or something so not sure if that makes a difference.
Thanks for the update about using the gift card with TA.

just FYI I just received the giftcard, it has the right amount so that was very quick. This is in the email.

Disney Parks and Resorts
Use for tickets, hotels, entertainment, shopping, dining and more at select locations throughout the Walt Disney World® and Disneyland® Resorts.

Shopping
Use nationwide at Disney store and online for toys, apparel, movies, music, collectibles and more.

Vacations
Use for reservations at Disney Resorts and aboard Disney Cruise Line.

Hmmm I think the gift card option is best for sure. We have tix expiring end of sept but are not going until April. I just can’t believe we can just do everything online, but have to wait to upgrade at the gate? Seems weird considering we need to pre book park days. This is just such a mess lol I wish it was a simple online thing but sounds like it gets pretty confusing…

Hmmm I think the gift card option is best for sure. We have tix expiring end of sept but are not going until April. I just can’t believe we can just do everything online, but have to wait to upgrade at the gate? Seems weird considering we need to pre book park days. This is just such a mess lol I wish it was a simple online thing but sounds like it gets pretty confusing…

I paid to upgrade the others via the phone . Once you pay they are no longer cdn redidency or special tickets and wouldn’t you be able to make reservations then ?

It seems like there are 3 very different scenarios here:

1. Disneyland tickets
2. Disney World tickets
3. DL or WDW tickets purchased via third party

I'll repeat what I did (DL, bought through DL) - I used the app to contact someone. Maybe I got lucky, but I did that because someone else here suggested it.

the agent did say if you let the tickets expire the value of the tickets remain as a credit towards new ticket purchase. As of now, the phone agents (can’t do it online) can handle this change and apply the credit towards new ticket purchase prior to visiting. In the past it had to be done in person onsite.

the agent did say if you let the tickets expire the value of the tickets remain as a credit towards new ticket purchase. As of now, the phone agents (can’t do it online) can handle this change and apply the credit towards new ticket purchase prior to visiting. In the past it had to be done in person onsite.
Ahh ok, that makes sense :) thank you for clarifying!

Are these the same tickets you could have purchased at CAA. I purchased mine in 2017. I still have the print out from Disney web site that states they never expire. We are suppose to go in May of 2022.

would you be willing to send a message with a photo of the paperwork? i have the same tickets, i think, and a photo would be so helpful whenever i find myself ready to use them again.

ok, just got off phone with Disney (90 minute wait). Spoke with a very nice and knowledgeable lady (Casey) and she stated Following in response to my questions. Also just realized my ticket was only for 5 days, not 6.

1) to Get a refund on the tickets Disney must have your original CC on file as purchasing card. Since mine was purchased through Costco Vacations this was not possible for me. You can’t give them another CC after the fact.

2) other option is to let tickets expire and there would be a credit amount In your account for the unused tickets Original price. If you buy tickets going forward from Disney via phone (not through website) or in person at the booth than the agent can apply the credit amount towards the new tickets at current price but new tickets only, nothing else. She also said this used to be only possible in person at the ticket booth but due to number of calls about this the agents are now allowed to apply the credit for phone ticket purchases, for now.

3) other option is call prior to expiration date and change the dates of your arrival( she said Disney is flexible with this now) to later date. Than if required call again in future and push the date even further back. It seems like you can do this indefinitely, for now. She said this has been popular as people can keep the tickets they have at the price they paid for the tickets in the past versus the current Price that goes up every year.

4). She said the last option is to get the full amount back as a non-expiring Disney Digital gift card that can be used at any Disney online or in person purchase, whether Disney store, WDW or DL onsite, food and gifts, vacation packages, DCL etc... this is the option I chose. I would have chosen option 3 but started thinking as my daughter is a little older that whenever we do get to Disney we may need more than 5 days. I forgot to ask if this gift card would be accepted if I book through TA or only if I go direct through Disney.

I will update when/if I get the gift card. Sorry for long post.
This could be a game changer for me.

I have Airmiles Cdn resident WDW tickets that now have an expiry date of September 2021. If I call, should I be able to get a GC for the value of my not yet expired tickets or were you able to do this because you purchased yours through Costco.

I like the idea of being able to have a GC to use at WDW or DL as I'm not sure where our next trip will take us.

I just got off the chat room on MDE. I was speaking with a cast member who ran one the numbers on one of my CAA Canadian Resident exchange certificate. She said it came up there is no expiry date on the certificates and there is no up charge on the certificate either.

Anyone with an updated experience on this? My WDW ticket expiry is coming up. I'm undecided if I want to try and get them to extend the dates, or just upgrade to an AP.

I just called and spoke with an agent. She was able to give me a value for the tickets I have in MDE but they are unable to put that value onto an e-gift card as they were purchased through a 3rd party (Airmiles). She did confirm that I will be able to purchase new tickets over the phone in advance of an upcoming trip and have this "value" applied to my new tickets.

Even though the tickets will disappear from MDE they will still be attached to my Disney account and they can be seen back of house.

Not exactly what I was hoping for but it will work.

I also spent forever on the phone today about my tickets that expire in 10 days and got the same answer as @ottawamom but a few more details from my extremely tired CM -- I told him he sounded like he needed a break and he chuckled.

No longer supposed to be giving gift cards since the Annual Passes went on sale -- those are taking up far too much time and resources -- so consider yourself lucky if you manage to get this as an option.

I could have had the expiry date of my ticket changed to February 2023 but park reservations only go up to January 12th so we didn't do that.
******ONLY if i booked my hotel room at the same time BTW, not just an open-ended extension till Feb *****

Same as above, we can now call before we leave and do any upgrading, changing of dates, whatever we want/need to do with the value instead of just being able to do it onsite. Yeah, it will take a looong time but it means we'll be able to make park reservations before leaving.

He assigned the value to the ticket as if I was buying a new 3 day ticket starting on Sept 25th - slightly more than I *paid* Mine was the final result of a botched Transat Travel trip and had a weird value assigned, only showing up to him as "JOY"

I wish I had managed to get a gift card but at least I know I can apply the value to some other ticket media before landing in Orlando now, that was my biggest worry.

Last edited:
I was able to get through to a live person after about 5 minutes. Had to go through all the press this and that. I was truly surprised. Must just have lucked into a less busy time. I was told that my Airmiles Canadian tickets (with Flexible date) 5 day base tickets were valued at $440 US each (not sure if that was before or after taxes). We'll see if they say the same thing next time I go to apply them.

I was able to get through to a live person after about 5 minutes. Had to go through all the press this and that. I was truly surprised. Must just have lucked into a less busy time. I was told that my Airmiles Canadian tickets (with Flexible date) 5 day base tickets were valued at $440 US each (not sure if that was before or after taxes). We'll see if they say the same thing next time I go to apply them.
i had them send me an email with the exact value, ticket numbers, even his name!

Has anyone been told what value they are giving on Air Miles Canadian Flexible Date 7-day tix?

i had them send me an email with the exact value, ticket numbers, even his name!

The CM I spoke to wouldn‘t send me any confirmation about being able to apply the value to a future ticket purchase. She said the tickets will still appear in MDE. But that isn’t true is it, once they have expired?

I just sat on hold for 30 minutes and I couldn’t take the creaky disney music any longer lol. I used the 1-888 number.

So just to confirm that I NEED to call before Sept 26 or else my tickets disappear? But are they still in my account on the backend?

I was told they would be able to see the tickets at their end even though I won't be able to see them in MDE. I have taken a screenshot of the tickets as they appear. Printed it out and saved another copy on the computer.

Bottom line (the recent change) is that we will be able to apply the value to new tickets "over the phone".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter