Canadian Visitors to DLR/DCL: Travel Advisory for the USA Imminent???

Same, heading there in a couple of days and my stomach is in knots. We booked our flight through Air Miles in July and our DL tickets direct a few months ago. If I lose one night in hotel cost, that sucks, but i'm nervous about everything else and also have been looking forward to this trip for a long time.

I thought I read today that Disney is waiving the typical cancellation policies. Did I imagine that? Going to do some research.....

No. I imagined it. They’re waiving change fees. I think it’s really crappy they are still charging people who wish to cancel. Hopefully this will change after the President’s speech tonight.

https://www.kennythepirate.com/2020/03/11/breaking-disney-world-and-disneyland-to-waive-change-fees/

I thought I read today that Disney is waiving the typical cancellation policies. Did I imagine that? Going to do some research.....

No. I imagined it. They’re waiving change fees. I think it’s really crappy they are still charging people who wish to cancel. Hopefully this will change after the President’s speech tonight.

https://www.kennythepirate.com/2020/03/11/breaking-disney-world-and-disneyland-to-waive-change-fees/
And this is where I worry with renewing my pass (I know first world problem). But still. I don't want to drop over a grand, have the parks close, or reduce times we can be at the park and not be able to use my pass to the fullest and not do a refund or pass freeze.

And this is where I worry with renewing my pass (I know first world problem). But still. I don't want to drop over a grand, have the parks close, or reduce times we can be at the park and not be able to use my pass to the fullest and not do a refund or pass freeze.

No, I totally get it. When does your pass expire? It’s soon right? Ours expire in June and it sucks if we end up not being able to go in April. We weren’t going again this month because of SB madness, but I have two trips planned for April.

The Travel Advisory may not seem like a big deal, but it's actually HUGE. What it means is that Canadians will not have any travel health benefits if they're hospitalized and/or quarantined because of a real or suspected case(s).

This is not an entirely true statement - our coverage through our employee benefits actually does cover us if we were to travel to the U.S. My DH is a benefits consultant so he checked and assured me that it does depend on the particular policy you have either on a one off policy you purchased or what is provided to you by your employer.

Such blanket statements can be misleading so I'd advise everyone to pick up the phone and check for themselves as not everyone is going to lose their house....

The reality is Disney isn't going to close the parks over this, as I have mentioned before, there would be so many legal ramifications, especially with monthly payments. Disney would have to suspend all payments or extend the pass for the amount of time the parks are closed or risk a massive number lawsuits and let's face it their clauses haven't been tested against something like this and even if the lawsuits fail, Disney likely would end up just extending passes to avoid having to fight the lawsuits. After all they would actually.make more money by extending them as they would sell.kore food, merch, etc.

But again, I doubt it will come to that, you will likely see some attractions close though.

No stinkin' way would I be getting on a cruise anywhere right now. I think you should cancel your cruise plans.

The reality is Disney isn't going to close the parks over this, as I have mentioned before, there would be so many legal ramifications, especially with monthly payments. Disney would have to suspend all payments or extend the pass for the amount of time the parks are closed or risk a massive number lawsuits and let's face it their clauses haven't been tested against something like this and even if the lawsuits fail, Disney likely would end up just extending passes to avoid having to fight the lawsuits. After all they would actually.make more money by extending them as they would sell.kore food, merch, etc.

But again, I doubt it will come to that, you will likely see some attractions close though.

Really??? Do you honestly believe if there was an outbreak of Covid-19 in the park tomorrow, they wouldn't temporarily close the park?

With travel from Europe to the US suspended and the NBA season suspended, do you really think legal and financial ramifications would have anything to do with the decision to close the park?

This is not an entirely true statement - our coverage through our employee benefits actually does cover us if we were to travel to the U.S. My DH is a benefits consultant so he checked and assured me that it does depend on the particular policy you have either on a one off policy you purchased or what is provided to you by your employer.

Such blanket statements can be misleading so I'd advise everyone to pick up the phone and check for themselves as not everyone is going to lose their house....

Yeah you may have missed posts i made after my OP where i discussed that some group plans may still cover you if there ended up being a level 3 or 4 travel advisory for the US for Covid-19.

I'm personally not sure verbal okays over the phone would be sufficient. I've read written exclusions in my travel benefit that said Allianz "could exclude expenses due to war, political issues and epidemics". I'd want to see something in writing saying I'd be covered during a level 3 or 4 travel advisory.

Everyone should covered in the US with their employee group plans for now (people cruising should definitely check, because of the advisory). But if that US travel advisory appears, I'm not even sure i want to cross the border to buy gas anymore...

Yeah you may have missed posts i made after my OP where i discussed that some group plans may still cover you if there ended up being a level 3 or 4 travel advisory for the US for Covid-19.

I'm personally not sure verbal okays over the phone would be sufficient. I've read written exclusions in my travel benefit that said Allianz "could exclude expenses due to war, political issues and epidemics". I'd want to see something in writing saying I'd be covered during a level 3 or 4 travel advisory.

Everyone should covered in the US with their employee group plans for now (people cruising should definitely check, because of the advisory). But if that US travel advisory appears, I'm not even sure i want to cross the border to buy gas anymore...
There’s a chance the parks are going to be closed starting tomorrow.
https://www.latimes.com/california/...alifornia?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

We finally pulled the pin today. I am so so sad but am glad the decision is finally made. Maybe it was right, maybe it was wrong but it is what it is.

I guess with hearing Tokyo extending their hours and Shanghai reopening, I guess I feel a whole lot better about Anaheim not closing anytime soon. I mean it's always a possibility, but hearing this news, especially about Shanghai, makes me feel a little bit better about park still being open in April.

We finally pulled the pin today. I am so so sad but am glad the decision is finally made. Maybe it was right, maybe it was wrong but it is what it is.

very disappointing. We are waiting a few more days before we postpone our April 3 trip in hopes things start to get better. It doesn’t seem things are going to get better sadly.

I know it’s only money but I bought black out dates to universal Hollywood since they would work in April. However, if we move our trip to August they are blacked out. Hopefully I can pay the difference to upgrade vs throwing them away.

We just did now as well. Going to postpone until the fall. Kiddo will be devastated. Hell, I'm devastated. Only saving grace is by then Avengers campus will be open and Halloween.

We cancelled our trip for next week as well. My daughter is so upset. My son more okay because he’s hoping we can go when the Avengers Campu is open. I’m really sad but I know it was the right thing to do and weight has been lifted.... Anxiety has been ramping up the last few weeks. I think we will lose our flights because they were booked with points. And we’ve lost 50% on our AirBnB I’m San Diego the week after. But hopefully that is it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter