• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Canadian with questions about renting reservations......

sh01

Earning My Ears
Hi - I'm a newbie here and I can't believe what a great resource these boards are! We (DH, DD (8yrs old) and DS (6 years old)) are from Guelph Ontario and last year spent three days at ASM and the parks and could not wait to come back!

I have been doing some reading about renting reservations from a DVC member and it looks like a fantastic way to go.
I think (?) I am interested in renting DVC points at really any of the DVC resorts (they all look fantastic) in early February 2007. Does anybody have any thoughts on renting points from a Canadian or does it matter? Anybody have any experiences they would like to share about renting reservations?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

:moped:

HI HI HI :welcome: come on in and join the party:

I have no answer about the Renting of points but you will more than likely find great answers on the DVC section of DIS.

Justed to make sure you saw my address :cool1:

Wow- the world just got even smaller! I also live in the North West end- in the sugarbush.

Hello!

We live in Toronto and have now completed four reservations with DVC owners. They have all been from US owners, but we paid using PayPal and have not experienced any problems at all.

Definitely go over to the DVC boards and take a look around. It is a great way to save money and the dining plan can now be added to DVC reservations, too.

Good luck!

I am a Canadian DVC owner (live in Toronto) and I have from time to time rented my points (so far only to Americans) and I have had no problem and both of the renters always email me before going back to the boards to ask if I have any points to rent. I do not make it a "business" to rent points but some years d/t family weddings etc we are not able to use our points so I rent them out. Look on the DVC rent boards. There seems to be 2 ways--either the renter already has a reservation that they will flip into your name or they have points to rent and you provide them with your wish list--resort, room type, dates of travel etc and they will call membership services to see what is available. I use the second option as I do not want to be stuck with a reservation that no one wants.

Most use paypal or money order (since you are not in the States) and of course get a signed contract. I have not heard of anyone being ripped off but I am sure that may happen.

Good luck and maybe you will buy into DVC one day.

Jacqui

I would stay with Canada and the reason is if anything went wrong then you can take some legal action. If you would go with someone is the USA it's a little different and might get screwed.

I have been wondering the same thing and have came across a Canadian Company called DVC Request. Now I have not used the services before and I have only recently been looking into this.

But from what I see this site might have what your looking for. They are Paypal Verified so you know they have a stand up reputation and if anything went wrong Paypal would get your money back.

The link to the site is http://www.dvcrequest.com/ Now again I have not used there services but I from what I have seen so far they seem to be a stand up company.

SeanK said:
I would stay with Canada and the reason is if anything went wrong then you can take some legal action. If you would go with someone is the USA it's a little different and might get screwed.

I have been wondering the same thing and have came across a Canadian Company called DVC Request. Now I have not used the services before and I have only recently been looking into this.

But from what I see this site might have what your looking for. They are Paypal Verified so you know they have a stand up reputation and if anything went wrong Paypal would get your money back.

The link to the site is http://www.dvcrequest.com/ Now again I have not used there services but I from what I have seen so far they seem to be a stand up company.

I just took a look at this guy's site and he says he charges $17/point. You will find the going rate is $10-$11 a point so I would be leery of someone charging so much more.

We rented in 2004 and 2005 before we bought earlier this year.
Had great experiences with both renters and locations... BWV 2 bedroom standard in 2004 and an OKW 2 bedroom in 2005.
We NEVER paid more than $10/pt but still think up to $12 is fair.... however, $17/pt is pretty steep!!!!

SeanK said:
...I have been wondering the same thing and have came across a Canadian Company called DVC Request.

Not sure where you see that he's a Canadian company :confused3

I'm sure they will rent points to Canadians, though:)

As far as I gather, the owner is Dave - also the founder of www.tagrel.com - great site, with lots of DVC info:)

But he's not Canadian. If memory serves, from reading his trip reports, he and his wife are from NY.

If it's not Dave, it's someone with some type of business relationship with Tagrel...that's his site that DVCRequest links to.

HTH!

:sunny:

Thanks to everybody for sharing their thoughts and tips! I posted a "reservation wated" message on the DVC board over the weekend- now I will just wait and see what happens.

pirate:

Try to deal with people who have a large number of posts on these boards - you can click on their name and see what types of things they've posted in the past... if it's someone who is around here a lot you are less likely to get scammed. Also you can ask for references from them.

We rented last year from someone in the US for BCV and everything went very smoothly! We saved a ton of money compared to booking through Disney.

I've rented from two different DVC owners (both from the US) and had good experiences.

I hope everything works out well for you guys.

As far as I gather, the owner is Dave - also the founder of www.tagrel.com - great site, with lots of DVC info:)

But he's not Canadian. If memory serves, from reading his trip reports, he and his wife are from NY.

If it's not Dave, it's someone with some type of business relationship with Tagrel...that's his site that DVCRequest links to.

HTH!

:sunny:

Just clearing up a bit of confusion (and WAY late by the date of this post!) ::yes::

These are different sites and different Dave's. ;)

While I own the tagrel.com site, I have no affiliation with the dvcrequest.com site. But I think he links to my DVC Calculator if I'm not mistaken. I know I've gotten a few emails from those trying to rent points, and I'm guessing this is the reason.

Just wanted to clear that up... ::yes::

WE have rented points 4 times from a canadian and were always very happy with the accomodations and the people.It's a great way to stay at WDW.

I just wanted to get in on this and say I'm from Guelph too!! We should have a get-together. (I'm in the west end though).

Teresa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter