Cancel July 13 cruise now and lose deposit?

If it is eventually cancelled, I would politely ask Disney to refund the 25%. They might, they might not.
Not a bloody chance that DCL will retroactively give you the 25% back. They aren't agreeing to changes for people who altered an itinerary 24 hours before it was cancelled. Once you make a change it is final from their perspective.

Not a bloody chance that DCL will retroactively give you the 25% back. They aren't agreeing to changes for people who altered an itinerary 24 hours before it was cancelled. Once you make a change it is final from their perspective.

I have read one report that somone got the deposit subsequently refunded when the sailing eventually got cancelled. It's the only report I have seen, though. I tend to agree with you that if you cancel before the flexible change policy is announced or a cancellation is official, it's unlikely the DCL would "reimburse" the nonrefundable portion. That's why I feel many of the June cruisers (myself included) are getting hosed because the 50% penalty phase is approaching and DCL still hasn't extended the penalty free rebooking even though the initial announcement that was made a month ago included sailings up to May 31.

LAX

I've read one example where they did this. I'm not betting on it for myself (we cancelled my in-laws room on our end-of-May cruise right before we hit the next penalty phase where we would have gone from loss of deposit to 50% because they were not sure they could sail within 15 months). But to be fair, DCL is really really dragging their feet on cancellations and stringing this out longer than needed, so I think there is a decent argument that they shouldn't keep a non-refundable portion of a fare for a cruise that they knew, and we know, would almost certainly not sail.

I still think it was worth cancelling even if they won't refund the deposit. Not worth rolling the dice if they do go ahead with the cruise and you are not medically able to, or not comfortable with, sailing on that date. .

I've read one example where they did this. I'm not betting on it for myself (we cancelled my in-laws room on our end-of-May cruise right before we hit the next penalty phase where we would have gone from loss of deposit to 50% because they were not sure they could sail within 15 months). But to be fair, DCL is really really dragging their feet on cancellations and stringing this out longer than needed, so I think there is a decent argument that they shouldn't keep a non-refundable portion of a fare for a cruise that they knew, and we know, would almost certainly not sail.

I still think it was worth cancelling even if they won't refund the deposit. Not worth rolling the dice if they do go ahead with the cruise and you are not medically able to, or not comfortable with, sailing on that date. .

At this point, I would be grateful if I am allowed to move my reservation penalty free (to next summer). I am not looking for a refund. I am not looking for a bonus cruise credit. I think there is still too much uncertainty surrounding mass gatherings in general at this point that people should be given the option to decide whether it's prudent to do so within the next few months.

LAX

No way in H E double hockey sticks ANY US departing cruise will be happening by July 2020.

I absolutely love blanket guarantee statements like this. Perhaps you work with the CDC, the Trump Administration, DCL Corporate. No, you probably don't. So you don't KNOW anything for sure. You are of course, welcome to your opinion though.

We're also sailing on 11 July and are super-hopeful that it proceeds as planned! Are you on the Eastern Caribbean cruise?

Yes, this is the one we are on and we are still holding out hope!

At this point, I would be grateful if I am allowed to move my reservation penalty free (to next summer). I am not looking for a refund. I am not looking for a bonus cruise credit. I think there is still too much uncertainty surrounding mass gatherings in general at this point that people should be given the option to decide whether it's prudent to do so within the next few months.

LAX
This is exactly how I feel. Just allow us to move our date penalty free. Every other cruise line is allowing this through September!

LAX
I'm with you 100%. I don't want a refund or the extra 25% bonus credit. Just allow us to move the date to a future cruise without a penalty. 12 days and counting before we hit the 50% penalty.

LAX

Yeah, that should have happened weeks ago. Totally agree with you the June sailings are the most inexcusable of the delays by DCL.

July 18th sailing here - I am 60/40 on if the ship sails. We are waiting it out and hoping for the best but preparing the littles for a delay. We already lost Spring Break at WDW, so they understand but still sad. We booked opening day for this cruise, so we have been counting down a while.

Anyone with earlier sailings in July been able to complete check in?

We are on July 18 too, Fantasy Western Caribbean. We booked it opening day. I really want to take the cruise and won't cancel unless I feel it's very unsafe or would put us in a long quarantine. i wouldn't be surprised if it's canceled though. Hope you get to make it.

Yeah, that should have happened weeks ago. Totally agree with you the June sailings are the most inexcusable of the delays by DCL.
I fully understand your feelings on it; however, I understand DCL not wanting to formally cancel until they have no choice. Everyone who accepts a credit and rebooking is money that they don't have to come up with for a refund while their operating cash flow is zero and their expenses continue to mount. They want to ensure that they don't cancel one single cruise more than required. I've already canceled my flights; I just am marking time until my end of May cruise is cancelled. I'd prefer DCL to have already cancelled, but I'll play along to get my refund.

I fully understand your feelings on it; however, I understand DCL not wanting to formally cancel until they have no choice. Everyone who accepts a credit and rebooking is money that they don't have to come up with for a refund while their operating cash flow is zero and their expenses continue to mount. They want to ensure that they don't cancel one single cruise more than required. I've already canceled my flights; I just am marking time until my end of May cruise is cancelled. I'd prefer DCL to have already cancelled, but I'll play along to get my refund.

The issue really isn't DCL not cancelling until last minute (that's a different issue given what other cruise lines have done, though). It's the fact that the regular cancellation policy is still in effect for many June sailings. If I get reassurance of being able to rebook penalty free, I have no problem waiting all the way until June. However, I am now left deciding whether I should gamble with taking a deposit penalty now or even more penalty later.

LAX

I wouldn't cancel right now because I wouldn't want to lose the 25%. I think the cruise will be canceled though. Cruises are probably one of the last things that are going to re-open.

where is your sailing to/from?
Alaska I would hold and wait for a most likely cancellation- logistcally harder to open ports ( Canada policies and also getting summer staff up there last minute.
Europe: who knows too, outlook not so good, though Spain is opening up.
Caribbean: I can see this sailing happening sooner than others. anotherwards less chance of these cancelling.

I can confirm I got an email that I would get my deposit back even though I cancelled my June 1st Alaska cruise back in mid March when things were changing fast.

Here is what they said:

Dear ___,

First and foremost, we hope that you are staying well during these challenging times. Our lives have changed in such extraordinary ways, yet it is heartening to see family, friends and colleagues caring for one another and doing their part to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.

Our records indicate that you cancelled a reservation for a Disney Wonder sailing that was scheduled to depart between April 29 and June 30, 2020. We have since decided to cancel these sailings because the Canadian government announced it will not allow any ship with more than 500 passengers to dock at any of its ports until July 1, and we have not been able to secure an alternate homeport.

We would like you to know that we are automatically refunding any cancellation fees you may have been charged. This refund will be processed back to the original form of payment, but may be delayed due to the high volume.

Guests with questions who booked their reservation through a travel agent should contact them directly. Those who booked with Disney Cruise Line may call us at 1-866-325-2112 or 407-566-3510.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we navigate through these unprecedented times. We look forward to welcoming you aboard in the future.

Sincerely,

The Cast and Crew
Disney Cruise Line

I can confirm I got an email that I would get my deposit back even though I cancelled my June 1st Alaska cruise back in mid March when things were changing fast.

Here is what they said:

Dear ___,

First and foremost, we hope that you are staying well during these challenging times. Our lives have changed in such extraordinary ways, yet it is heartening to see family, friends and colleagues caring for one another and doing their part to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.

Our records indicate that you cancelled a reservation for a Disney Wonder sailing that was scheduled to depart between April 29 and June 30, 2020. We have since decided to cancel these sailings because the Canadian government announced it will not allow any ship with more than 500 passengers to dock at any of its ports until July 1, and we have not been able to secure an alternate homeport.

We would like you to know that we are automatically refunding any cancellation fees you may have been charged. This refund will be processed back to the original form of payment, but may be delayed due to the high volume.

Guests with questions who booked their reservation through a travel agent should contact them directly. Those who booked with Disney Cruise Line may call us at 1-866-325-2112 or 407-566-3510.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we navigate through these unprecedented times. We look forward to welcoming you aboard in the future.

Sincerely,

The Cast and Crew
Disney Cruise Line

Wow, nice! Hope we get the same.

On March 6, we called to postpone our March 9 sailing to Dec 30. DCL made very clear that our cruise credit was non-refundable, and our original March 9 cruise sailed as scheduled. Last week, we called to cancel our Dec 30 entirely, and DCL gave us a full refund.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter