Canceling last night

LaRaine

Mouseketeer
Hello!

What's the best way to cancel the last night of our reservation?

We are looking into flights now that the week is getting closer. We may need to take a flight a day earlier and leave a day earlier.

I'm fine with making a room only reservation for the potential earlier day even if we need to make an extra deposit (in this way, I have one less day of the dining plan for a day when I am not even there).

I asked the TA about making the reservation a day shorter. She said that would work but we would pay the new ticket prices (not room prices). Tickets have gone up once since with reserved (they are still tied to dates, however).

So, is it better to cancel the last night upon arrival if I need to do so? How would that impact the dining plan and the ticket price?

Hello!

What's the best way to cancel the last night of our reservation?

We are looking into flights now that the week is getting closer. We may need to take a flight a day earlier and leave a day earlier.

I'm fine with making a room only reservation for the potential earlier day even if we need to make an extra deposit (in this way, I have one less day of the dining plan for a day when I am not even there).

I asked the TA about making the reservation a day shorter. She said that would work but we would pay the new ticket prices (not room prices). Tickets have gone up once since with reserved (they are still tied to dates, however).

So, is it better to cancel the last night upon arrival if I need to do so? How would that impact the dining plan and the ticket price?
It sounds like you have a package? If so, you won’t be able to remove that last night on arrival. I would weigh the cost of the ticket price increase vs. the cost of keeping the last night. Also, if you have any package discount, you will probably lose it. If you decide to make a change now.

Depending on when your departing flight is, it might be worth keeping that last night just to have a room for freshening up before leaving for the airport. There’s no rule that dictates that you must sleep n the room.

One thing to keep in mind: your package tickets and dining plan will not begin until the first day of your package stay. If you arrive a day early, you will not be able to use the tickets that day or access your dining plan credits.

Yes, I have a package but no discount at all. Rack rate, tickets and dining plan. Keeping last night means keeping dining plan for 4 as well as the room. That's a lot of money if you're not going to spend the night in the room.

Yes, I have a package but no discount at all. Rack rate, tickets and dining plan. Keeping last night means keeping dining plan for 4 as well as the room. That's a lot of money if you're not going to spend the night in the room.
Then I think you need to break out your calculator and do some ciphering. Did you get pricing from your TA for the changes you want to make? That would be my next step.

If you give us your current travel details - current dates, resort/room category, number and ages of guests, ticket type and dining package type, plus total current cost - and what you'd like to change it to, plenty of people on here could let you know that price difference.

I have asked for pricing a few times. Ahem.
Ahem...then you already know what your approximate costs will be either way. You cannot modify a package on arrival, so you can eliminate that as an option. I’m not inside your head, so I have no idea what kind of savings could be realized by arriving and leaving a day early and I’m not going to play games trying to draw it out of you. Add everything from airfare, food, tickets and to accommodation costs up, for both leaving everything as is and for the changes you want to make. Then decide whether it is worth making the change.

Just as an FYI, changing dates on your stay used to be easy, but there are reports that it has become more difficult these days - there must be availability for the entire length of the new, shorter, stay, and depending on when and where that may not be the case. It seems too many people were booking extra days and then cutting some of them when they firmed up their travel plans leaving isolated unbooked & harder to sell days, so Disney changed their practices.
Hopefully that won’t be an issue in this case, but probably best to make the switch sooner rather than later.

You all have been helpful and I appreciate your offer of help.

I do not know what the price would be as I have asked several times but have yet to be given an answer. (Hence, the ahem.) Because they "own the reservation", I can't try to modify it in MDE to get the answer on my own. I also can not try to figure it out because room rates increased a few weeks ago and my room type does not show up as available. I've tried that.

I will just call Disney- perhaps they can tell me even though I am not the owner of the reservation. The dates are in November (2-9) and as it is the night I may need to drop is a Friday night during Jersey week, I bet they can sell it for more than I reserved it in January.

Have a great day!

I do not know what the price would be as I have asked several times but have yet to be given an answer. (Hence, the ahem
Are you asking them theoretically ("What would it cast if...?", "Okay, so if we ___, how much would we be paying...?) Or are you presenting it as, "We need to change X and Y, and I need you to tell me what my new total cost will be."?

Ask to speak with the TA's manager.

Are you asking them theoretically ("What would it cast if...?", "Okay, so if we ___, how much would we be paying...?) Or are you presenting it as, "We need to change X and Y, and I need you to tell me what my new total cost will be."?

This. :thumbsup2

You all have been helpful and I appreciate your offer of help.

I do not know what the price would be as I have asked several times but have yet to be given an answer. (Hence, the ahem.) Because they "own the reservation", I can't try to modify it in MDE to get the answer on my own. I also can not try to figure it out because room rates increased a few weeks ago and my room type does not show up as available. I've tried that.

I will just call Disney- perhaps they can tell me even though I am not the owner of the reservation. The dates are in November (2-9) and as it is the night I may need to drop is a Friday night during Jersey week, I bet they can sell it for more than I reserved it in January.

Have a great day!

If your resort/room category isn't showing up for the new dates, then it may not be available and your TA may have to get guest services involved to try to drop that night off. Are you interested in any other resorts? If you have any flexibility, you could price out the new dates to see what is currently available for your new dates.

I agree. I would escalate this immediately.

If you are going to lose a lot of money, and you are paying rack rates, why not check to see what other resorts are available during your changed dates?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter