Canceling our 1st trip.....Again

Captainkidd76

DIS Veteran
Beyond frustrated. Every time we plan a trip to Disneyland, about 2 months out, they announce the closure of multiple headliners. We were booked, tickets purchased, Disneyland Hotel booked and paid for and now there's no reopening date for Matterhorn or Pirates. We knew we'd miss California Screamin, but we had 4 months notice. I can accept that. I am not going to Disneyland with 2 classics being closed. Not to mention no official closing dates for Rainforest. No official reopening for World of Color. Disneyland is obviously a locals park and very little thought is given to tourists.

Sorry for the rant. Just disgusted and heartbroken yet again.

For your future trip consider planning for busy season. It’s your best bet to have the most rides open because the park requires the most capacity possible. That’s Memorial through first week of Aug (possibly even Xmas to New Years but those crowds can be crazy). Outside of those times there are often closures like you are running up against for major refurbishment purposes and there is rarely much notice given.

As far as RFC & area Disney has basically given notice the construction zone outside of DLH begins 7/1/18. The hotel is expected to take 3 years to build and is going in the space between DLH & the monorial. Idk why RFC hasn’t made public their actual closing date yet.

It's frustrating but almost always something is under construction. I don't think there will be a time in the next few years where something is not down. Late June and July will probably the best time for limited closures but will likely be pretty warm then.

I canceled my trip too.I’m absolutely beyond frustrated with the immense amounts of closures.

Not dropping hundreds of dollars with no world of color, no paradise pier, no pirates.

I also just frustrated because the whole Pixar circus is so cheap and doesn’t work thematically in California Adventure. I can’t seem to reationalize the closures for insultingly cheap overlays.

The only safe time to go this year to see rides without overlays and without refurbs, is LATE June to mid August. That’s absolutely insane.

Matterhorn reopens on 4/20, according to the DL online calander.

We are scheduled for June 17-23. I don't think in all my years going to WDW, I've seen so many "refurbishments" at one time, let alone in the summer. And NEVER with just 2 months notice.

It is what it is. Disneyland is not a tourist destination like WDW so advance notice of closures is not important to them.

I canceled my trip too.I’m absolutely beyond frustrated with the immense amounts of closures.

Not dropping hundreds of dollars with no world of color, no paradise pier, no pirates.

I also just frustrated because the whole Pixar circus is so cheap and doesn’t work thematically in California Adventure. I can’t seem to reationalize the closures for insultingly cheap overlays.

The only safe time to go this year to see rides without overlays and without refurbs, is LATE June to mid August. That’s absolutely insane.

Matterhorn reopens on 4/20, according to the DL online calander.

I think that's when it closes. No scheduled reopening date.

I am there those dates and I have full confidence that pirates and the Matterhorn will be open in time. I’m sorry you’re disappointed-but I know we will still have an amazing trip! (And I can’t imagine being this angry about RFC-i know opinions varie-but it’s a chain and it just isn’t that good!).

I am there those dates and I have full confidence that pirates and the Matterhorn will be open in time. I’m sorry you’re disappointed-but I know we will still have an amazing trip! (And I can’t imagine being this angry about RFC-i know opinions varie-but it’s a chain and it just isn’t that good!).

Not super disappointed in Rainforest, though kids were looking forward to it. Not much of a chain anymore. Most are gone. I just don't like the lack of information and details regarding Disneyland. I'm used to WDW where they give you at least 6 months notice and have dates practically down to a science. Disneyland is run more like Six Flags.

And yet DLR is still packed. There is no incentive for them to change. Frustrating, yes but the majority continue to go anyway.

Last edited:
They are just very different trips to plan. We aren’t local to either park-but DL style planning works much better for or family than WDW. My family would flip if I made them decide on dining six months in advance, and then marched them pre-planned fastpass to pre-planned fastpass. That style-a ton of advance planning-works really well for other families. WDW has to have things like park hours figured or much farther in advance because of the 180 day dining reservations. DL doesn’t-and so yes, there’s no incentive to do so. I don’t think that’s being insensitive any more than WDW’s requirements for advance planning are being purposefully insensitive to last-minute or local guests.

And I still think pirates and Matterhorn will be open by your dates-and screamin’ the Last day. The latter is one of my kids’ very favorite-we would have loved to have had it open all week (and still hoping we might get a DVC preview or something!) but we will use MaxPass for at least one ride on the 23rd and everyone will survive :)

We're going almost the sames dates as you. I didn't realize Matterhorn and POC would be closed for then. And you think WOC won't be running then either?

I've said it before and I will say it again, as an annual passholder local since 2001...JULY IS THE BEST MONTH TO GO. Period. It is not that crowded...so many AP are blocked, it's actually nice. Everything is open. Parks have long hours. All entertainment is taking place nightly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter