• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cancellation policy for family emergencies?

DaisyDogMI

Earning My Ears
We have a trip booked for WDW in December and we are staying on site and participating in the dining plan. We have paid for 100% of the trip and we have also booked various special events which we have also paid for.

It appears that a close family member (not going on the trip) is terminally ill. Does Disney make any exceptions to their cancellation policies in the event of a family member's death which would impact all of the people going on the trip? What is the best way to address this situation with WDW? Do we wait until we are closer to the start date of the vacation?

Thanks!

We have a trip booked for WDW in December and we are staying on site and participating in the dining plan. We have paid for 100% of the trip and we have also booked various special events which we have also paid for.

It appears that a close family member (not going on the trip) is terminally ill. Does Disney make any exceptions to their cancellation policies in the event of a family member's death which would impact all of the people going on the trip? What is the best way to address this situation with WDW? Do we wait until we are closer to the start date of the vacation?

Thanks!

Disney is pretty great at allowing you to move your trip if something comes up. I've had to do it before. We just shifted the vacation to a later date. I'm not sure if they would let you totally cancel without penalty.

Can't you cancel up to 30 days in advance without any penalty?
Seems like you could also purchase the travel insurance. For course you'd have to review the terms of the policy to determine if the death of this family member is an eligible event for which the insurance kicks in should you be forced to cancel your trip due to a death in the family.

I would definitely look into the travel insurance they offer. It will cover that reason and I believe you can still add it. I think it was $155 on my trip (and it'll also cover plane tickets if you're flying, even if you purchased them from somewhere else).

As others said, this is what travel insurance is for. Disney may be nice and allow you to cancel, but that would not be a guarantee. I would be checking into a policy that would cover this sort of thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter