• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cancellations due to Zika?

FieryPixieDust

Earning My Ears
Sorry if this is a weird question (or if it's been asked a MILLION times), but have any of you cancelled your trips due to the Zika virus? I am looking to get married October 2017 and was going to set up a cruise for our honeymoon (our very first Disney cruise!), but with all that's in the news lately, I've hit the pause button on it. I'm sure Disney is taking all kinds of precautions, but I'm still feeling iffy. I haven't heard of anyone getting sick so a part of me is thinking I should just give it a go.

Help this torn Disney fan, please! Advice?

Sorry if this is a weird question (or if it's been asked a MILLION times), but have any of you cancelled your trips due to the Zika virus? I am looking to get married October 2017 and was going to set up a cruise for our honeymoon (our very first Disney cruise!), but with all that's in the news lately, I've hit the pause button on it. I'm sure Disney is taking all kinds of precautions, but I'm still feeling iffy. I haven't heard of anyone getting sick so a part of me is thinking I should just give it a go.

Since you're talking about a cruise that's over a year away, I'd hazard a guess that things will have settled down by then. I heard on the radio they're working on a zika vaccine, so maybe, by then it'll be available. Talk to you doctor. See what his/her input is.

I'd also suggest you go ahead and book the cruise. If things aren't looking good, you can cancel the cruise with no penalty up until the paid in full date (typically 90 days out). And you're protecting yourself against any price increases.

I second what PrincessShmoo said. We are cruising in January and are not concerned but if you are, you can always cancel before the PIF date if you are feeling uneasy about it. No use going on a vacation if you will worry about where you are going :)
Congrats on your wedding!! :flower1:

Congratulations!

If it eases your concern, the CDC recommends waiting 8 weeks after potential exposure before trying to get pregnant. There are no guarantees, of course, but the feeling is after that time the risk is averted. So if you aren't planning a family immediately you can enjoy the honeymoon. :)

I agree with the above posters. With a trip so far out, and as long as you wont be pregnant or trying when you sail, I would not worry about zika at all. If things are still bad 6-9 months from now and you want to start a family right away, then you can rethink it.

You guys are all so wonderful, thank you for this! I think I am just a nervous nelly and I just needed some words of encouragement from you great folks. I definitely don't see myself trying to get pregnant on my honeymoon (it'd be nice to enjoy at least a couple months of being a newlywed!) but I think I am going to go with @PrincessShmoo's advice and just book it and hope this all dies down. I didn't know about that cancellation tidbit (that's just me not doing my homework) but it makes me feel better booking knowing I can always cancel with no penalty.

Thank you!! :thumbsup2:disrocks:

Just to add... there's not a cancellation penalty on a regular stateroom, but I believe the concierge down-payment is non-refundable. I wouldn't mention it, but, as it's your honeymoon, we don't actually know if that's something you were considering doing.

PrincessShmoo, can you confirm that?

Just to add... there's not a cancellation penalty on a regular stateroom, but I believe the concierge down-payment is non-refundable. I wouldn't mention it, but, as it's your honeymoon, we don't actually know if that's something you were considering doing.

PrincessShmoo, can you confirm that?
Correct, Concierge deposits are non-refundable. But can be transferred, from what I've read.

Correct, Concierge deposits are non-refundable. But can be transferred, from what I've read.

Yes, they can be transferred to another cruise. They can be transferred to another booking with a different category, as well, but not GT or another discounted booking, as that would be considered a "new" booking.

Yes, they can be transferred to another cruise. They can be transferred to another booking with a different category, as well, but not GT or another discounted booking, as that would be considered a "new" booking.
I'll just add that, while it can be transferred to, say, a "regular" category (non Concierge) the deposit remains non refundable.

People had similar concerns about traveling during the big Ebola breakout. Take precautions with insect repellent, and have a great honeymoon cruise!

If you're planning to become pregnant, or would keep the baby if you became pregnant by accident, it's not worth the risk. Most people with Zika have no symptoms, so the fact that you haven't heard about people getting sick doesn't mean anything.

If your husband gets infected (& again, you likely wouldn't even know), it wouldn't be safe to get pregnant from him for several months, according to health department recommendations. And if you were 3 weeks pregnant on the cruise, didn't know & got the virus...

There are a lot of die-hard travel/cruise types on these boards who will tell you to stick to your vacation plans no matter what, & downplay the risk. As the mother of an autistic child (he is now high-functioning after spending tens of thousands of dollars and almost as many hours on therapists, doctors, medical tests, medications, supplements, private school, etc., etc.), I have a different perspective and will tell you that the trip just isn't worth the risk, not only to the baby, but also to what having a severely disabled child would do to you and your husband's lives.

Zika can cause your child to be born with severe, irreversable brain damage just from you or your husband getting one mosquito bite. No trip is worth that. Just go somewhere else where the virus isn't spread. Disney has cruises to Alaska & Europe, too- just skip the Caribbean during your baby-making years.

I just have to say that I don't think I've ever seen a mosquito on a cruise ship.

Even while in port, it's generally too hot (and breezy) for mosquitos during the day. Stay out of the jungle and you'll most likely be fine.

We cancelled our October cruise because one of the girls in our group found out that she was pregnant.

Congratulations!

If it eases your concern, the CDC recommends waiting 8 weeks after potential exposure before trying to get pregnant. There are no guarantees, of course, but the feeling is after that time the risk is averted. So if you aren't planning a family immediately you can enjoy the honeymoon. :)

The CDC recommends men wait 6 months after showing symptoms. LINK.

We have the same concerns but more so with Disney World since the recent reports of it being transmitted in Florida. I have a bit less concern in the Islands, since we tend to stay on the boat anyway. .

the virus is in a small neighborhood in miami and Florida as a whole is an expert when it comes to misquito control. add to that the fact the WDW is even more attentive to bug control. I live here and feel safe. We know to use repelant especially when you are around standing water and cover up at night. They also use repelant candles.

the virus is in a small neighborhood in miami and Florida as a whole is an expert when it comes to misquito control. add to that the fact the WDW is even more attentive to bug control. I live here and feel safe. We know to use repelant especially when you are around standing water and cover up at night. They also use repelant candles.

You need to be aware that the mosquitos that carry Zika are daytime feeders.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter