• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cancelling inside of 30 days? Current policy?

Thumper99

Mouseketeer
I spoke with MS via chat but I still am a little nervous. We have two reservations for the same dates because our family had to cancel due to Covid fears. So we want to switch from a 2 bedroom to a studio to save points(and then bank those saved points). We don't have all our nights available for the studio so I am leaving the 2 Bedroom reservation intact just in case we need to use it and have booked what I could for the studio but still waiting on two nights. I am waitlisted for 7 day prior for those two nights. But now I am concerned that even though I talked with MS that if I get my waitlist in the next week or two Can I still cancel the 2 Bedroom and my points won't go into holding? Ill have to make a decision anyway since our banking deadline is Jan 31, but I'm just nervous. Anyone successfully canceled inside 30 days? If so did you get your points back immediately so that you could bank them directly? Want to know how far ahead I need to make this decision. Thanks for any help!!

There is currently no holding in place and when you go to cancel, the note says so.

I just changed a TPV at BLT to LV 2 bedroom for next week, and my points did not go into holding.

Currently points do not go into holding. Last week I cancelled a reservation that would have started less than 30 days out.
Thank you. Did you notice if you got the points back right away? If so I would be able to bank them prior to Jan 31. that's what I am most worried about. and the fact that with COVID you never know what to expect!

Thanks for the OP asking this question and the responses above. I'm currently wondering about a trip in March that would normally require me to cancel in mid-February. This gives me a bit more breathing room.

Thank you all!!! We ended up getting what we wanted and cancelled the other reservation at 31 days🤪 so I can’t say for sure it would be fine but it looks like there is plenty of instances of good results!!

Thanks for the OP asking this question and the responses above. I'm currently wondering about a trip in March that would normally require me to cancel in mid-February. This gives me a bit more breathing room.
Just keep an eye out for any policy changes as MS did say plainly the temporary suspension of placing points in holding could change at any time. Good luck and hope you can make your trip!! We are keeping fingers and toes crossed!!

Just keep an eye out for any policy changes as MS did say plainly the temporary suspension of placing points in holding could change at any time. Good luck and hope you can make your trip!! We are keeping fingers and toes crossed!!
Good point about the potential for change. Fortunately we are local so it doesn't really affect our "trip". :)

Jumping in here. I just got my account. I want to hold something for less than 30 days from now, as I MIGHT go. Since I am in the 31 day window, what happens to those points if I cancel? Seems nothing, they just go back. But explain holding for me, if they went into holding?

Jumping in here. I just got my account. I want to hold something for less than 30 days from now, as I MIGHT go. Since I am in the 31 day window, what happens to those points if I cancel? Seems nothing, they just go back. But explain holding for me, if they went into holding?

Normally, any cancellations less than 31 days from check in are returned as restricted points,

It means all points from that trip expire at the end of the UY of trip and can not be used to book a new trip any sooner than 60 days or less from check in.

This will also happen if you change a trip within 31 days to use less points. Those points are now holding and have rules listed above,

Since last March with Covid, MS has temporarily suspended applying holding penalties. So, right now, points go back into the account in the same status as used in the reservation, They are even returning borrowed points as a temporary exception.

All these can be stopped at any time and with no advance notice. However, people have reported being told by MS that DVCM will notify members when things go back to normal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter