Cancelling trip due to DAS concerns? :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micker

Earning My Ears
My son is a disabled adult with multiple disabilities, none of them are that serious individually, but due to the combination he is "labeled" as 100% disabled by Social Security Admin. He is autistic with sensory sensitivities, has ataxic CP causing poor balance and body tremors that tire him. Disney has been the most entertaining vacation for him traditionally due to the speed at which he enters rides and the special attention he has received from loving cast members. He is challenged to endure an 8 hour day anywhere. We are now thinking that we need to cancel our early December trip. We are senior citizens ourselves now and it sounds as though you have to spend hours getting the DAS card and then you have to wait for every ride, just not in a queue. We aren't sure how we would keep him entertained or how we would manage running from sign in to sign in in order to have a continuous course of activity until he tires.

Is there a limit to the number of queues you can enter with the DAS card?
Is the DAS card available for adults? Anyone else in a similar situation who can offer suggestions?

I'm thinking that we should cancel and wait to see how this plays out to determine whether we want to contnue to visit WDW resorts.:sad:

My son is a disabled adult with multiple disabilities, none of them are that serious individually, but due to the combination he is "labeled" as 100% disabled by Social Security Admin. He is autistic with sensory sensitivities, has ataxic CP causing poor balance and body tremors that tire him. Disney has been the most entertaining vacation for him traditionally due to the speed at which he enters rides and the special attention he has received from loving cast members. He is challenged to endure an 8 hour day anywhere. We are now thinking that we need to cancel our early December trip. We are senior citizens ourselves now and it sounds as though you have to spend hours getting the DAS card and then you have to wait for every ride, just not in a queue. We aren't sure how we would keep him entertained or how we would manage running from sign in to sign in in order to have a continuous course of activity until he tires.

Is there a limit to the number of queues you can enter with the DAS card?
Is the DAS card available for adults? Anyone else in a similar situation who can offer suggestions?

I'm thinking that we should cancel and wait to see how this plays out to determine whether we want to contnue to visit WDW resorts.:sad:

It does not take hours to get a DAS card. Depending on the time of day you may need to wait in line at Guest Relations, but the process of getting the card takes about 5 minutes.

There is not a limit on the number of times you can use the DAS card, but you can only hold one return time at a time. You will need to plan out your day. For example, you go and get a return time for Safaris and you need to come back in 40 minutes. During that time you could walk the Pangani Exploration Trail or take the train to Rafiki's Planet Watch. Then return to the attraction. You can choose to do whatever you want during your wait, if you choose to sit and do nothing that is also your choice. Additionally he does not need to be present to obtain a return time, another member of the party can go and get the time while you are doing something else.

The DAS card is based on needs, not age. Plenty of adults have been issued DAS cards.

I hope that you will give the DAS program a chance instead of canceling your trip out of fear. :)

Thank you for the feedback. People who don't walk in our shoes struggle to understand the demand that this places on us and we get that. To explain, this means that 2 people will need to be with our son at all times. He would not be entertained by the types of activties you describe that are available during the wait since he's a young adult, not a child or a senior, but we might could eat during the first wait. If only 1 of us is with him at a given time, we can't leave him to go sign in for other queues, which will no doubt get messy since there is no way to know how long the wait is on all of the rides. It sounds like a logistical nightmare!

I don't see people our age running all over creation trying to get passes to keep our son occupied and also being able to care for him. It's a shame since we have visited every other or sometimes every year for so long -- we will look into what Universal can do; maybe it's time for a change anyway.

We've got similar concerns-we'll be there next week with a disabled adult. I'll let you know how it goes for us...keeping our fingers crossed for the best. :)

BTW, if you have to wait in line for hours to get a DAS card, then it still takes hours to get one regardless of how fast the actual creation of the card is, right? Like going to the DMV to get a driver's license the actual time to take a photo and print the card is about 5 minutes but none of us measure it that way.:confused:

Thank you for the feedback. People who don't walk in our shoes struggle to understand the demand that this places on us and we get that. To explain, this means that 2 people will need to be with our son at all times. He would not be entertained by the types of activties you describe that are available during the wait since he's a young adult, not a child or a senior, but we might could eat during the first wait. If only 1 of us is with him at a given time, we can't leave him to go sign in for other queues, which will no doubt get messy since there is no way to know how long the wait is on all of the rides. It sounds like a logistical nightmare!

I don't see people our age running all over creation trying to get passes to keep our son occupied and also being able to care for him. It's a shame since we have visited every other or sometimes every year for so long -- we will look into what Universal can do; maybe it's time for a change anyway.

The PP gave a simple example of things you could do in AK while you wait. There are about a million other things you can do while waiting, but based on your description of how you need your vacation to be for you to enjoy it, it definitely sounds like Disney World is not the place to go. Did you not have your son with you on all of your other trips? The new system isn't too far off from the old system. The old system was not a front of the line pass, either. Good luck with Universal, but I believe they use the same type of return system, so you will have to pay for their priority pass if you don't want to wait for rides.

Thank you! Looking forward to hearing - not sure we can wait though because we might be inside our 45 day prepay limit by the time you return. I'll say my prayers for you to have a good experience -- it's hard for those who don't live this to understand the consequences of their actions.

Yes, we have taken our son many times and basically never waited longer than 5 minutes - usually when the cast member observes us they help us move to the front. Like I said, we always go at the least busy time as much as we can predict that, in order to avoid inconveniencing others and to ensure a smooth experience. We've never had to run around and collect fast passes to make it work and this is what the new system sounds like. I have reached out to Universal and they are willing to get us a pass in advance and do a few other things to help us so that is encouraging.

BTW, if you have to wait in line for hours to get a DAS card, then it still takes hours to get one regardless of how fast the actual creation of the card is, right? Like going to the DMV to get a driver's license the actual time to take a photo and print the card is about 5 minutes but none of us measure it that way.:confused:

Most of the reports have not indicated a terribly long wait -- and definitely not "hours" to get the DAS. It's generally been indicated to similar to the wait experienced to get a GAC in the past. If you arrive at rope drop or similar busy time, you might have a somewhat longer wait; if you arrive mid-morning or afternoon without the crowds, the wait could be none to 10 minutes. At least that's what I've gathered from reports I've read in the past week.

As for what to do during the DAS wait -- there are often rides with relatively quick moving standby lines. Of course, that might depend on the crowds at the specific dates you are there. But those should be an option, or grab a snack. Whether or not those are attractions you/your son would enjoy is really more of a personal preference.

I hope you find a way to enjoy your vacation!

Micker said:

Most people are reporting wait times of 5-10 minutes at Guest Relations, then another 5 minutes to get the card. I am not sure where hours have come in, except the fear of that happening before the new system was put in place. And that fear would have been well placed, except Disney had increased the staffing for the new system.

There are plenty of ways to reduce the backtracking as well. It just requires a little more planning.

And ya' know it's not "how you need your vacation to be" it's about having an enjoyable vacation, because without that, what's the point? If only you could walk a mile in these shoes.....

Obviously it's just MHO but I think you are cheating yourselves out of something based on fear instead of facts.

Planning does not equal something negative. It means needing to adept to a new planning for those that didn't plan this way before. Yet, it can be done very well. The MDE app is a great tool in that, with all kinds of live info like wait times, being able to make and alter reservations, find caracters and lots of other things. That app makes planning lots easier, you've got all standy by times at the palm of your hand, for all parks.

Than factor in the scheduled show times, of which there are also many. By now we know a lot about the FP+ trial and how to "trigger" and invita (stay at certain resorts, tickets bought and linked beforehand etc). That gives even more options in one. Thats even without adding in "double dipping" where you can also still use regular FP system.

Just to give an example of a first day;

enter park and head to GR to discuss needs, questions about new system etc. Be OPEN to new things and learning. CM's are also learning but have lots more experience than you with the system, and it adds on each and every day. They can have all kinds of tips and tricks that can help you out a lot, but it can take being open to them. Lets say it's found DAS works best for son.

Now you move on to the park-experience. Grab a first DAS return time
-meantime enjoy a show that is having scheduled times and thus predictable, plannable etc. Huge range of options, whether from options like the Muppet show that run at set times, to a Beauty and the Beast, backlot tour etc.etc.
- ride DAS ride
- get new DAS time
- ride a FP+ ride
- see parade
- eat something
- ride DAS ride
- get another return time
- you use your app and found a ride with managable wait time, thus hit that
- another scheduled time option
- ride DAS return time

this is even with minimal usage of the app, little perfectioning FP+ and leaving out the regular FP.

Assuming is a recipy for trouble. No assumptions it THUS will not work because there are 2 of you that need to stay with son and son can't come along to pick up return time. Instead discuss this question/worry when hitting GR.

One of the many issues I'm dealing with is a max. sitting stamina of 30 minutes, quite limiting as a wheelchair user. First aid is great, but can't offer minimal I need for downtime, so back to the room it is. I travel solo and crowded lines are out due to such risks it can be life threatening. I have no DAS (been at WDW for a few weeks now). Had I gone in too focussed on "allmighty DAS", sure I would've ended up with one. But; it does not work best for my needs, amongst others because of that combination of max 30 minutes and solo. I discussed this at GR, nothing more or less but "this is what is bugging me to work with, got any tips or tricks for me about that". Already got some great options and info from there, but best tweaking was done because I basically literally told cm "it's not upto me to decide give me accomodation A or B, I can communicate my needs very well but will have less knowledge about my options than you guys do". No DAS for me, but an accomodation that works better and suits my needs. (yet by many only get read as "see, an adult not accomodated, shame, bad system)

Within it being an ability, being reasonable and workable it still does come down to accomodating individuals, not a one-size-fits-all. Are there kinks? Sure, what new system wouldn't when so many different issues are involved, with so many employees and also so many expectations which include those fed off of improper accomodating done in the past. But; it's a learning curb. Yes it does require certain planning. Yes it's different. But it's not thus a negative new era.

Dont undersell yourself or son by basing decisions on fear but give it an honest try. Read up on what has worked for others, consider how you can translate that to your families situation, and discuss worries and fears. The spirit of an equal experience for all within possible and reasonable is still there. Both in system and the people themselves. It's a shame to throw out the whole bucket of apples just because there are 2 or 3 in there that are no good. Same goes with this.

I was on another site that had a picture of the line at guest relations, but that was in California. It may have been during a school Fall break when they were really busy. Glad to hear it is only 10 minutes though!

I think one of the issues is the original card was never meant as "front of line" access. But a lot of CMs treated it that way and people got used to it. Now that Disney has come up with a way of offering everyone the same experience--meaning having to wait an equal amount of time for rides--it's a disappointment to those used to jumping to the front. They are trying to make the waiting easier by not having to be in the actual line and being able to wait however you'd like. But when someone is used to walking up and on everything, it definitely does change things.

And ya' know it's not "how you need your vacation to be" it's about having an enjoyable vacation, because without that, what's the point? If only you could walk a mile in these shoes.....

I didn't mean any disrespect with my comment. That is exactly what I meant. How you need it to be to in order to enjoy it. My brother was disabled (we lost him a few years ago). I know it is hard work with no breaks. Best of luck. :goodvibes

And waits? I dropped by GR on the 10th, so big rush with many people still switching from GAC to DAS (or other accomodation or "none"). Didn't do rope drop, park was quite busy that day.

MANY people were at GR, yet I was helped as soon as I rolled up. Took them some creative working outside and inside, but literally no wait and still CM's left over to "tackle" new guests coming in.

Dropped into GR this week for something else, also busy time at GR. Actually had some wait because my issue was NOT access related and still helped within 5 minutes.

Yes I know what you mean. People have reported various wait times at Guest Relations over the last weekend. It was a busy holiday weekend so that played a major factor. You'll need to consider such things when you plan your trip to Guest Relations. Like if your first park day is a Saturday, I'd avoid Magic Kingdom. That tends to get crazy busy no matter the time of year.

People have reported inconsistencies with EPCOT's GR's decision-making on who gets a DAS, but it is possible for an adult with needs to get one there.

I realize you are concerned because of the logistical hassle of trying to get from attraction to attraction for a Return Time. In my experience, older folks don't hustle well for FPs. But there are ways you can make the system work for you.

Are you staying at a Disney resort? If so see if it'll be participating in the MagicBand/FP+ trial. A great many will be doing it over October & November. Once a resort starts the trial they will continue it from then on. Then you could use FP+ to pick out the major attractions for your day and things with the longest waits. Use the DAS for the moderate or minimal wait attractions nearby.

FP+ will give you three attractions per day per park. So at Hollywood Studios you could have a morning time for TSM, then go on Backlot Tour, get a Return Time for Star Tours, and go on Muppets, have an afternoon time for Car Stunt Show, get a Return Time for Great Movie Ride, and get some lunch. Then in the evening get a Return Time for Tower of Terror or Rock-n-Roller Coaster and have a FP+ schedule for the other while you wait. End your day with Fantasmic.

When I did my 4 hours in DHS I proceeded immediately to TSM for a Return Time. Then I meandered my way over to Star Tours. Did that and came back to Studio Catering Co for some food & drink. I did TSM on my way out of the park.

FP+ in Animal Kingdom you can have a morning Safari scheduled and stop to get a Return Time for Bug's Life on the way. Have your two other FP+ scheduled for some of the rides in Asia or Dinoland (Expedition Everest, Kali River Rapids, Dinosaur, etc.).

It does take more planning but it is doable. Really DAS is no different than the FP system, except they never run out of DAS Return Times, they don't expire (you can come after the Return Time) and your time is much closer than a FP issue (you will come back in an hour and not 6 hours from now). And with DAS you can still use the FP and FP+ systems to supplement your activities.

Question is what sort of activities do you normally do in Disney? How are your day's planned out?

(Only thing DAS will not let you do is ride an attraction repeatedly throughout the day. No marathon 7 times on Peter Pan.)

Yes, we spend weeks planning each trip (actually joined this board back in the 90s but then couldn't remember my userid when I had new questions in 2006 and had long since changed emails or at least I think it was the same group) and of course, planning has become easier over the years because we know all the tricks. Now we will have to plan differently and that is a bit burdensome so these tips are helpful and that's why I came out to this board. Not looking for defensive replies from those who don't have to live it, but how others who do live it have managed with the new system. We have always had to rely on the special needs tag to get in that line and get the help and support we need to enjoy the park. Our son goes for the rides; he is not big on the shows for the most part although he might watch one and once he has seen one parade he is done with that - most of the characters in costumes are a bit creepy to him although now that he is older he wants to talk to the person inside about their career choice - LOL. He does like the pirates and a few years ago went to the Halloween party as Capt Jack and was thrilled when he was invited "backstage" with them. That's magic!

Thank you Goofieslonglostsis for the tips - interesting to read how you manage and kudos to you for going solo! I guess I'll need to find a young person to show me how to use the app!! That sounds very helpful indeed. I think we may delay the trip rather than cancel so we have more time to figure it out. Hopefully Disney will give me a refund on the tickets to the Christmas party? Yikes!!

Wow! EllaM - great information. We always stay on property, always on the monorail line, because we need all the help we can get like checking in to airlines and someone else being responsible for getting us to our plane in time!! We made the mistake of staying at Animal Kingdom when it first opened and it was too difficult getting around with our son - we ended up paying too much for cabs so we won't do that again. Your suggestions do sound very manageable. I'll have to study it this weekend and see whether we think we can figure it out before December. Thanks a bunch!!

Goofie's Sis, that's good to hear and it does my heart good to hear that you are still having a positive experience there. Rock on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter