Cancelling TV service...any tips?

Conway733

DIS Veteran
I'm dreading calling Directv to cancel our service. We installed an attic antenna last week, and are happy with the reception and channels we receive (plus netflix). I need to call and cancel our Directv service...I'm dreading it...thinking back to those days of cancelling AOL...any tips to get through the call quickly?

Just keep asking for a human during any automated call. By if I rem meet from when I quit direct a couple years ago, it was actually pretty painless. I haven't regretted cutting cable in years. Might I suggest you get Amazon prime too. They have shows Netflix doesn't.

Yes, we do already have prime as well, and we just don't watch that much tv anymore. I'm going to give it a shot.

When the automated system comes on and asks what you are calling about say: "Retention." That will get you to a higher level tech, which handles cancellations. When you tell them you want to cancel, they are going to try to keep you (offer you X amount off for X months, free HBO/Showtime). If you truly want to cancel just tell them 'no thanks' and they will start the process with you. DirecTV has always been pretty good at canceling accounts (unless you are under contract them it is a different story). When I called to cancel, they offered me free NFL Sunday Ticket, $40 off a month for a year, another $5 off a month for 6 months, plus free Showtime for 3 months.

NOTE: This was all before the ATT buyout was complete. Not sure what has changed since they completion of said buyout.

Edit: When you do cancel beware that DirecTV will call you after a few days trying to get you to resign up.

Last edited:

We cut the cord and cancelled DirecTV last year. It was actually very easy and there was no hard sell to keep the service. They made a couple of offers but I said, "No thank you" and that was the end of it.

Depending on your model (Genie, DVR or ?), they'll send a box for you to pack up your equipment with prepaid shipping label. We took pictures of the DVR's we returned, serial numbers, and kept a record of the tracking number. Probably overkill but I worry that way.

If you don't have a DVR, they may just ask for the Access Card returned.

HTH, Steve

We had a DVR, they wanted like that, the extra receiver, remotes and cards back. They sent a box and instructions for all that. They really took the break-up well pretty well. A lot better than we switched to DISH several years ago (and since switched back). The first time we cancelled DirecTV they would constantly call, and send letters begging to come back. They even offered to pay an early termination fee for DISH to get us back... took 'em up on that.

This time, nothing.... The only thing I have heard from them was a few weeks later a prepaid Visa arrived (for the balance on left on the account when it was turned off).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter