Cancer patient questions

gellar

Earning My Ears
My dad is a cancer patient and is looking forward to taking his grandkids to WDW for 10 days starting August 30th. (My mom and I will be along as well.) When we booked the trip, dad was doing much better than he is now, but he is determined to go on this trip. We're not sure how much time he has left with us and his doctors are encouraging him to take the trip if he feels up to it. We can't really argue with him over this. For now, the plan is for him to mostly relax at the resort and to join us for a meal or a ride once a day or as he feels up to it.

Getting to the meat of my post- He's regularly receiving IV fluids right now, as he's having a hard time staying hydrated. Does anyone know where we would need to take him if he required this during our trip? Is there a first aid, or urgent care clinic we could go to rather than going to the hospital? Or does anyone have experience with a cancer center in the area that we could make arrangements with ahead of time?

I'm nervous about what challenges we may face on this trip, but fully support my dad's wish to take his grandkids on their first trip to disney. Any advice on things I can prepare for ahead of time?

can he do or someone he knows do his own IV and will you have every thing with you to start an IV if so then first aid at the parks would be fine but they will not start one or have supplies ( beside an IV pool) if he needs to go some where then they do have free transportation to celebration ( the local ER) and to an urgent care ( I am not sure what one is closer as I only went to the ER) remember you are in the middle ( ok just out side) of a really big cite it is not like Disney is in the middle of no where Disney take very good care of there guest and wants then to feel better as soon as they can so they do every thing ( ok almost every thing) they can to make you feel better.

Another thing is that you can stop in any first aid and rest ( just tell them your Dads problems) and every time I have stopped in they had offered me free power aid and water ( I am not sure if they allows all guest to do this or if you have some medical problems or other things where a 20ish rest will help you to enjoy the park)

Also have you thought about renting your dad an ECV so that he can save energy also a small fain and the frog/o2cool cooking towels helps a lot and any quick service restaurant gives free ice water, there are shops every where where you can duck into for some AC

What a great opportunity to make memories together. Definitely take advantage of the first aid centers in the park. Know where they are located ahead of time. Also, notify guest services at your hotel about your situation.

He has an IV port and has had supplies at home in the past. I'm sure it won't be a problem at all to get supplies to take with us. I'm not sure why I didn't consider that. It's great to know he can duck into a first aid station for help with that or just to rest for a bit.
We are planning to rent an ECV. Honestly, he'd be wiped by the time he got to the park without one.
I'd thought of frog togs, but a fan would be a huge help. Maybe a stroller fan on his ECV?

Yes first aid can be your best friend, but they will not help with any medical things. Some ECV have shade not sure they work that great they maybe more in the way then helpful I use an umbrella to keep cool

I am so sorry to hear of your father's medical concerns.
I am a patient at UF Cancer at Orlando Health and also have an IV port. Not all nurses are trained in port access so an urgent care facility will not be a good idea unless he is able to receive normal IV injection. Make sure he has the info on what type of port it is, I was given a card as well as wrist band when I had mine implanted. Check with Celebration Hospital to verify a nurse might be available. Be prepared with a current list of all medications he is using, (I keep one on PC and update as needed) as well as a script from his Dr. for fluids needed in order to expedite the process if need be.
As PP stated, I would also recommend getting an ECV for the entire trip. The walk from the room to bus area, then into the parks can be exhausting.
Sending much pixie dust:tink: for a magical vacation. :smickey:

He has an IV port and has had supplies at home in the past. I'm sure it won't be a problem at all to get supplies to take with us. I'm not sure why I didn't consider that. It's great to know he can duck into a first aid station for help with that or just to rest for a bit.
We are planning to rent an ECV. Honestly, he'd be wiped by the time he got to the park without one.
I'd thought of frog togs, but a fan would be a huge help. Maybe a stroller fan on his ECV?
I would very seriously recommend a wheelchair rather than an ECV.
Yes, an ECV would give him more independence, but it also requires constant alertness while driving and being ready to stop at any moment. That means he would be needing to pay attention to driving and not to what is going on around him with the family. For someone who already has limited reserves of energy and/or is already fatigued, that extra need for constant vigilance can be extremely draining.
I am so sorry to hear of your father's medical concerns.
I am a patient at UF Cancer at Orlando Health and also have an IV port. Not all nurses are trained in port access so an urgent care facility will not be a good idea unless he is able to receive normal IV injection. Make sure he has the info on what type of port it is, I was given a card as well as wrist band when I had mine implanted. Check with Celebration Hospital to verify a nurse might be available. Be prepared with a current list of all medications he is using, (I keep one on PC and update as needed) as well as a script from his Dr. for fluids needed in order to expedite the process if need be.
As PP stated, I would also recommend getting an ECV for the entire trip. The walk from the room to bus area, then into the parks can be exhausting.
Sending much pixie dust:tink: for a magical vacation. :smickey:
i agree that if you are not able to do it yourself, your best bet is going to be the Emergency Room. My mom had a port for chemo and even at the hospital, they had to find someone who was qualified to access and de-access it.
Even for a regular IV for fluids, some urgent cares don't do IV fluids. My youngest daughter was recently ill and we were watching her to see whether she would need some IV fluids. Her doctor let us know that the urgent care we would go to no longer does IV medications/fluids. They were not doing it often enough to maintain competency, so they had to stop providing it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter