Cancer sucks.

The Wise One

Mouseketeer
I went to the oncologist with my Mother-In-Law today. She was diagnosed with ovarian cancer back in 1989 when my hubby was 4. She has been fighting it since then, that's 23 years or chemo, nearly 20 surgeries and even more chemo. Last year she had a really extensive surgery in which they basically cut out major parts of her organs to the point that they can no longer take anymore out. She was tumor free from January 2010 until April of this year. Well she had another scan this past week and they have found her tumors have progressed despite medication. She will now be taking chemo again. Her doctor told us today that at this point she will be on different chemos for the rest of her life, it is basically going to be a fight to shrink the tumors and keep more from growing. He said he hasn't given up, but at the same time it was disheartening to think that remission most likely is not a possibility ever.

I lost my mother in 2009, my father-in-law (her husband, he also died of cancer they spent their last months sick together) January 2011, and my father June 2011. I can't imagine losing her too. No one could ever replace my mother, but she is as close as it's going to get. It just doesn't seem fair for her to fight this horrible disease for so long only to hear that it's back with a rage. The doctor made it seem like she should still live for quite some time, but living your whole life on chemo? What kind of life is that?

I know, and I agree. Cancer sucks.

I'm so sorry for your losses, and for this news regarding your MIL, I do hope and pray she does indeed have many years ahead of her that will be pain free!

I am so sorry that you have to go through this. I will keep you and your family including your mil in my thoughts and prayers if that is ok with you.

Yes, cancer sucks.

I am sure it was devastating to hear that news and I hope your MIL finds the strength to keep battling this dreaded disease. You have had many losses in a short time, and I will pray for you and that MIL is able to live life and carry on even with the chemo ahead. Please come vent here whenever you feel the need. Hugs to you..

It is an ugly beast, and it sucks bigtime.

I am so sorry for everything you have gone through. My prayers are with your family and yourself.

Cancer does suck!!!

I know one of the hardest things for me is the mental aspect. I was so excited when I went into remission but unfortunately like your MIL there were other bends in the road for me. The best thing is there are new chemo options that can help us keep the cancer in check so that we can continue to fight the battle.

I wish her and you all the strength to keep out of the "depression well". I firmly believe that a positive attitude is just as strong as chemo.

Good thoughts and lots of pixie dust.

Carol
It's a great day to be alive!!!

I am so sorry that this is happening to you. We find cancer very destructive too. My uncle is only fifty and has been diagnosed with melanoma- incurable. He could live for over ten years or he could only live for a year or two. It's horrible not knowing.
Best wishes to your mother in law and I really hope she overcomes this horrible disease. Stay strong. :)

Yes, cancer sucks...BIG TIME! After having no symptoms, I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer last August and told the most time I had was 24-28 months. That's how long they can keep the tumors from progressing to buy me some time. It sounds like they've been buying your MIL time and now she's back fighting again. I'm so very sorry. Chemo is rough both physically and mentally, but I hope hers has mild to no side effects and that it continues to give her a good life to live.

dclfun said:
Yes, cancer sucks...BIG TIME! After having no symptoms, I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer last August and told the most time I had was 24-28 months. That's how long they can keep the tumors from progressing to buy me some time. It sounds like they've been buying your MIL time and now she's back fighting again. I'm so very sorry. Chemo is rough both physically and mentally, but I hope hers has mild to no side effects and that it continues to give her a good life to live.

Hi, just wanted to give you some hope. My mother's husband was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer and given about 16 months to live he was 79 at the time of diagnosis. ....he is 84 now!!! Still doing the chemo, meds and treatment... But still kicking!!! He still gardens and pokes around town with my mom.

Wishing you the same and more!!!

I lost both of my parents to cancer. I was 14 when my dad,39, died of colon cancer and 20 when my mother,43, died of lymphoma. I am now 39 young years and realize what they missed with my kids etc. If you have cancer keep a positive attitude and chin up. You CAN beat this! We will find a cure for this one day.

I totally agree, cancer sucks. Anyone fighting this horrible disease has my prayers. I am currently in treatment for squamous cell carcinoma of unknown primary with 5 radiation treatments left. Done with chemo. I lost my father to cancer 21 years ago to lung cancer. My prayers will be with you and your family.:grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter