Cancun Prices vs. DI$NEY

We are pricing out a Spring/Summer 2024 trip to WDW versus an all-inclusive trip to Mexico.

All I can say is: WOW o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

We've been to WDW >10x. I LOVE Disney, and all its magic. We have never done an all-inclusive. We have older kids (age 10 and 13).

All I can say is that via Costco Travel, we can get
  • 4 nights
  • Including Direct Air fare from Major Southeast USA hub city
  • Top ranked Resort in Cancun
  • All Drink and Food included
  • $200-300 Cashback from Costco

• JW Marriot: $4500
  • Hilton $4800
  • Moon Palace: $4900

My question is..... Why don't more people go to Cancun?????? I say this as I notice 2hr wait times during Xmas week at WDW.
Once you have a passport and older kids, why even stand in those lines?

Yes, one could have an "affordable" stay at WDW for 5 days/4 nights... but that would come with alot of sacrifices. Staying off property, packed lunches, etc

But why settle for mediocre food, large crowds, grumpy tweens, etc when the same wonderful family memories could be had at a new novel place... with no lines, luxury service, pristine beaches, and amazing food 3x/day.... and free alcohol!!!!!
Cancun was beautiful. However, we had a terrifying experience with "police" on the way to back to the airport for our flight home. I would never return again for that reason. I can spend my money elsewhere.

I'm not saying I would pick Disney, just saying I wouldn't pick Cancun. I'd go someplace else, even if I had to spend more.

We had a great time (5 nights) in Cancun this past spring -- staying at a Riu Palace all inclusive.

We never felt unsafe on the beaches, walking around the city or taking the buses.

I would highly recommend it.

Someone here who has been to Mexico over 10 times. Yes watch for when the sargassum will be there. It is better higher up (top of the 7). Those resorts you listed are ok, there are some that may be better. Tipping is done for drinks, housekeeping, etc but really is not all that bad. Have taken tour to Tulum and Xplor and no problem just a long ride. Resorts are safe and last time my adult daughter got a UTI and house dr came and gave Rx. Not the best Rx for a UTI. My husband and I had to walk to pharmacy and felt safe doing so. Mexico is a nice place to visit.

Personally I don’t feel safe traveling anywhere in Mexico.
Isn't Cancun far safer than driving on I-4 by Disneyworld? The freeway is very dangerous. You have people who want to drive 40 mph down the freeway mixing in with the Nascar drivers who weave in/out doing 80.

I would be bored in Cancun pretty fast. I'm done with the beach after 30 minutes. I think riding Figment all day long sounds more entertaining than Cancun.

We are pricing out a Spring/Summer 2024 trip to WDW versus an all-inclusive trip to Mexico.

All I can say is: WOW o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

We've been to WDW >10x. I LOVE Disney, and all its magic. We have never done an all-inclusive. We have older kids (age 10 and 13).

All I can say is that via Costco Travel, we can get
  • 4 nights
  • Including Direct Air fare from Major Southeast USA hub city
  • Top ranked Resort in Cancun
  • All Drink and Food included
  • $200-300 Cashback from Costco

• JW Marriot: $4500
  • Hilton $4800
  • Moon Palace: $4900

My question is..... Why don't more people go to Cancun?????? I say this as I notice 2hr wait times during Xmas week at WDW.
Once you have a passport and older kids, why even stand in those lines?

Yes, one could have an "affordable" stay at WDW for 5 days/4 nights... but that would come with alot of sacrifices. Staying off property, packed lunches, etc

But why settle for mediocre food, large crowds, grumpy tweens, etc when the same wonderful family memories could be had at a new novel place... with no lines, luxury service, pristine beaches, and amazing food 3x/day.... and free alcohol!!!!!
Doing the math it sounds like it’s actually closer than I thought it might be…

We stayed at the Cancun JW Marriott back in 2011. It was a work celebration for DH and some of his colleagues. The resort wasn’t all inclusive at that point (which I’ve heard changed with a renovation), but it was beautiful, the beaches were spectacular, the pools exceptionally nice, the service was top notch, and all of the events their staff put together and catered were rave worthy. That being said, I was nervous about being in Mexico and I’m not a beach person. There were quite a few excursion options available to us to make it more than just a beach trip. Tulum, Coba and Chichen Itza were popular for people looking for ruins (we opted for Tulum), we did ziplining and a cenote at Selvatica, some went to this popular Eco Park, and things like snorkeling, boating, and fishing rounded out the top activities.

They are very different trips, but it’s always interesting to see what else you can get for the money.

I would never go away to a AI in the summer. Plenty of local beaches half hour to an hour away from us. Spend most of the summer there.

I don't feel there is a "wrong" way to travel. I tend to lump cruises/all inclusive/WDW into one type of trip. Then there are beach/lake/national park/nature trips, and city/cultural trips where I might want to immerse myself in local culture. Our family is very flexible. We have been using points and miles to pay for air and accommodations. I am not sure when we will book another WDW vacation because there are just so many other places we want to visit, but I'd go back, even during peak times.

You are comparing apples and muffins.

Those are 2 completely different types of vacations.
Reading the OP's post, it seems pretty clear that they know they are two completely different types of vacations. They are specifically pointing out all the differences of what you get for the money and trying to decide if Disney is "worth it" anymore.

OP, we felt the same. Our last family Disney trip was in 2019 and we did a Mexico trip in 2020 (spouse and I) and 2022 (all 5 of us). We had a wonderful time and felt that it was a good value for the price.

We might do one or two more "big" Disney trips in the future for the nostalgia (especially if we have grandchildren), but it's definitely not an annual vacation for our family anymore with the price increases and changes over the last few years.

I would be bored in Cancun pretty fast. I'm done with the beach after 30 minutes. I think riding Figment all day long sounds more entertaining than Cancun.
I'm not a beach person and can't fathom lying on a beach for a week (but I know lots of people love it). We stayed at a resort connected to Xcaret park and had unlimited access, so it was nice to wander over there throughout the day to swim the underground rivers, walk through the exhibits, watch shows, etc. I think that might be something more appealing to the OP, especially with the kids ages.

We vacationed at multiple all inclusive resorts in Mexico years ago. Couldn’t pay me to go there now. Way too dangerous.

Son went to Xcaret a few years ago. Booked everything as a package. His transfer to the resort picked him up, drove him to a random spot - not the resort. He thought he was being kidnapped. Finally some other guy drove up and took them to the resort. Scary situation down there.
This would be scary. Our transportation (through Costco) were in uniforms/well marked, had all our info on file, and even had an office onsite at the resort, so we felt safe with them during our trips. The airport exit was definitely the most overwhelming part of the trip, so we were glad to have the reassurance of a ride that we felt comfortable with.

There are two reasons why a Cancun AI vacation is not an option for me - First, I have no desire to travel to Mexico ever. Secondly, I need something to do when I am on vacation. One day on the beach is my limit. So, that is a ”no” for me. But, I hope you have a wonderful time!

I personally know someone who met a tragic fate on a Cancun trip related to gang violence and that is enough for me to not want my family there. I know the odds of something like that happening is slim, but will always be on my mind.

No way... there are vacation destinations that are a better deal than going to WDW?

As much as I love WDW... it is a huge and wonderful world. Go... vacation often, wherever and whenever. Spend time with your family and loved ones. Life is short and precious.

Re-explore beloved familiar destinations or explore new exciting new lands... what is most important is you are doing things you enjoy. Tempus fugit, memento mori. Carpe diem.

We love Puerta Vallarta on ten pacific coast. . Beautiful old town, great food, wonderful people. We have been to Cancun once, never again, You could be anywhere. Just big hotels with the major Activity drinking and eating. We decided never to go again after watching numerous people drunk and falling down before noon. The best thing about it was renting a car and driving to tulum.

My cousin was in Cancun recently and got scammed at their luxury, all-inclusive resort by the wait staff. She didn't tell me how much, but found out about it after her return. She took pictures of just outside the resort grounds. I'll just say it didn't look like an area I'd be comfortable walking around.

On the other hand, I enjoy Costa Maya and especially Mahahual. The food, drinks and $30 1-hour massages under the palm trees on the beach are fabulous.

I'm not a bit scared of Mexico. But you couldn't pay me enough to stay at an all inclusive. I'm not a beach fan at all, and I would be bored to tears laying around all day. If that's your thing, go for it and have fun. But people have lots of reasons for not choosing an AI vacation, regardless of price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter