Candlelight Processional and GAC

TravelinGal

DIS Veteran
My son has sensory issues (crowds/lines are the worst of it at WDW - lots of fun to deal with at WDW...LOL) and we get a GAC each trip. We've had good luck with that so far, but I'm wondering how they accommodate special needs for the CP.

We are planning on doing the dining plan with the CP so we would have the 'other' line to start with, but from what I've read it is still quite a long line.

He is getting too big for the stroller now (we'd used it as a w/c in the past because he could pull the hood down around himself and shut out the world) so we need to understand how our other options on the GAC will work in this scenario

Or do you think we need to find a medical grade stroller to accommodate him (he'll be 6 on our next trip) to still provide a private place for him to escape to.

Thanks!
Robin

I am not sure how they would handle a GAC in the line for CP. I am glad to hear you are doing the dining plan, since that will help minimize the stress. Hopefully others will be along shortly with more info. I would definitely use the stroller in line anyway, at least while waiting, since the waiting area is right in the middle of the walking area and it can be very busy!

On the issue of a stroller, there are some special needs strollers you can rent in the Orlando area if he has outgrown yours. They can handle up to small adults, so at age 6 I am sure there is something that will work for you.

I was just looking at the FAQ that has stroller links and the sad part is that none of them seem to have a significant hood, which is the only reason we need the stroller. The Maclaren Major Buggy just has a flat sun shade roof and the other one I saw (forgot the name right now) has a bit of a shade that wraps down/around, but it doesn't look like it would be enough to 'shut out the world'.

Last year we rented from Magic Strollers (LOVED their service and prices!) but the weight limit on the City Mini-Stroller (Baby Jogger brand) is 50 lbs. He is getting close to that point so I'm not sure if he'll fit this year. He's busy eating all his protein and veggies so he can grow enough to ride Space Mountain. ROFL He was able to ride it at DL, but they have a shorter height requirement there because of the seating style (side by side vs one in front of the other)

(part of his sensory issues is that he craves stimulation so the extreme rides actually help calm him! go figure!)

Orland Stroler Rentals rents Liberty Special Needs strollers. For an extra $10 (that's the price for the duration of your trip, not per night) you can get a rain cover with it. I don't know if that's something separate from the sunshade that's shown in the picture or if it is the sunshade. You'll need to call them to find out. Either way, they do have sunshades for these strollers so that should work for you.

They also have the Classic Single that seems to have a sunshade that goes down farther. This one holds up to 75lb so I would think that would work for most 6 year olds. Take a look around their site.

What about using a beach towel or twin flat sheet to drape over the sun shades to provide enough quiet space?

I can confirm that the citiclassic would still be fine weight wise, and my DD "tested" it on our trip last month and it definitely shuts out the world- especially when used in conjunction w/ an Ipod;) I would highly recommend renting from orlandostrollerrentals, they are unbelieveably awesome.

I would also rent the stroller for your trip as you know it's helped in the past. As to the CP, there really isn't anything a GAC can do for you, however perhaps one person can stand in line and then you and your son can join them when the line starts moving. I'm really glad you're doing the dining package. I've seen the other line!---Kathy

If your child still likes the protection of a stroller, certainly get a bigger one and keep using it. As for CP you might want to check with Guest Services and see what accomidation have been used in the past and then check in the the CMs at the event.

Bookwormde

I can confirm that the citiclassic would still be fine weight wise, and my DD "tested" it on our trip last month and it definitely shuts out the world- especially when used in conjunction w/ an Ipod;) I would highly recommend renting from orlandostrollerrentals, they are unbelieveably awesome.

Thanks for pointing that one out to me! I was looking at the Liberty Special Needs PushChair and it didn't look like the sunshade went down far enough for Ethan. The City Classic right next to it does look like the shade goes down further! (looking at where the bottom of the shade is in comparrison with the hinge) The single front wheel looks easier to manuver in crowds too...

I just asked DH what he wanted to do about this last night and his first comment was "He'll walk". I reminded him that it's not about his ability to walk but the crowd control for DS, which got the ever popular... "how much is THIS going to cost me?" sigh. sometimes he gets so tied up in the cost. Too bad the MagicStrollers (owned by The Owners Locker people) doesn't have the City Classic (only the City Mini Single -- the first one Orlando Stroller shows)! They're 84 instead of 107 for our time frame.

I've not seen a GAC do anyone any good for CP. I do look around when we are in line for what's going on around me. It seems the handicap line for the dinner package goes first and I've not seen anyone get in sooner than that line. I haven't seen any other special holding area, either. We always get the package and we have a wheelchair person in our party; so, we are in the special line and I do pay attention.

Guest services may be able to help more, here.

I do have some suggestions that may help some. If someone in your party doesn't mind not going to the CP; maybe, you should consider skipping this event for your 6 year old. There are a lot of things to do while the others in your family enjoy the show. This is a long program; it's about 50 minutes long when it starts. This doesn't count your waiting time or your exiting time. In the special line I would show up at least 45 minutes early. I've seen enough families through the years exiting the show; because, the young ones can't handle it very well. You do have a better chance if your child is use to going to church services every week. I agree you should get a special stroller. In the waiting line I would shield him with your bodies especially the front area. I will tell you for the small space for this show relatively speaking compared to fireworks or parades there's a lot of people cramped up together. You have the orchestra, singers, etc. on stage, too. I think this is massive overload of people for the space. It's one thing getting into the show; it's another staying in the show. You really can't guard against the show itself. This is where I have no suggestions. If you're going to try it I would sit where you could have a quick and easy exit if you need to leave early. Map it out ahead of time. The theater will be empty in the morning and you can see it; so, you know where's it's best to go. The cast members will still direct you to seating, but you can suggest to them that one spot might be more suitable than another by flashing your GAC. It might also be better to go to the early show; because, it's still light out somewhat and this show has a tendency to be less crowded.

Good luck and tell us what happens if you do it with your child.

I just asked DH what he wanted to do about this last night and his first comment was "He'll walk". I reminded him that it's not about his ability to walk but the crowd control for DS, which got the ever popular... "how much is THIS going to cost me?" sigh. sometimes he gets so tied up in the cost.

I've got one of those at home too. My DD10 is in a boot style cast with crutches due to a break in the growth plate in her ankle and we head down in 8 days. We have an appointment with the orthopedist on Friday to find out how it's healing but she's supposed to be in the boot and on crutches for at least another 2 weeks after that and she's not supposed to put much weight on it. I booked a wheelchair and DH asked that same question... "how much is THIS going to cost?". He actually said that we'd wait and see if the doctor says we need it. Well, if she's only going to start putting weight on her foot around the time we're going then walking 7-10 miles per day on it is NOT a good idea and there's no way she can hobble around the world on crutches. I found a child sized wheelchair for $110 for our entire 12 days and he's actually hoping to not need the chair because of the cost. Yeah, lets take a chance with her growth plate in her ankle for $110. Not gonna happen.

As moms, we've gotta do what we've gotta do for the welfare of our kids.

Figure out how much you are paying by the hour at Disney, then remind him that having to take the overstimulated 6 yr old back to the hotel room after a meltdown (at least 2 hrs at a time including travel) will cost more!

And who wants to travel with a tired and whining 6 yr old when there is a better alternative? (I have sensory problems too, and when I was that young whining was the way I communicated it, since I could not really explain what was happening) It is better for EVERYONE if you do not have to deal with tantrums and meltdowns!

I would ask to be seated near the back near an exit so you can make a quick escape and not disturb anyone.

I'm not concerned about how he'll do during the show. He does fine in church, the movies and at other Disney shows. Just have to keep him calm getting in - then we're 'home free'...

Figure out how much you are paying by the hour at Disney, then remind him that having to take the overstimulated 6 yr old back to the hotel room after a meltdown (at least 2 hrs at a time including travel) will cost more!

And who wants to travel with a tired and whining 6 yr old when there is a better alternative? (I have sensory problems too, and when I was that young whining was the way I communicated it, since I could not really explain what was happening) It is better for EVERYONE if you do not have to deal with tantrums and meltdowns!

ROFL -- I read him your post and he just 'harrumphed' at me.

ROFL -- I read him your post and he just 'harrumphed' at me.

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but I think it's true! :) If he has sensory problems, he WILL get overstimulated. The stroller will both help cut down on it, and it will give him a place to retreat to when there is just too much going on.

After all, Disney is not cheap and it makes sense to pay a little extra for something that will make the vacation more enjoyable for everyone.

LOL - I know you're not being rude. I just think it's funny how men respond to things. it was a 'harrumph' of acceptance as well as 'why did you have to tell people I'm cheap?' ROFL! :lmao:

I own the Liberty SN stroller for DS who is 7. The sun shield is beefy and will cover a lot. So much that I can barely see it over it and I am 5'4". It is a solid stroller and yet very easy to fold down, just one yank on the yellow strap.

I did go to CP with a GAC several years ago. There is seating very close for a few rows, then a large area that people walk through, and more seating. We sat in the front row of the area that people used to walk. That way we could have gotten up easy if needed. We did take DS out of his stroller at the time.

We showed our GAC and explained in detail our situation to CM. She was a senior citizen and perhaps didn't know better but she let us in a bit early so we could get DS in a spot, all settled and moved the stroller away.

We also had the dining option and it did help but also there was no way DS could wait with me in the line. It was a wonderful evening, DS loved the people singing and we enjoyed watching the person sign out the songs.

Good luck and I sure hope you get to see CP with your DS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter