• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Cane Users: I need some help

twocat

80 miles door-to-door to Disney.
I've been diagnosed with advanced osteoarthritis in my right hip. Hip replacement is scheduled for December. I am leaving for WDW on Saturday.

I haven't had to yet but I may need to use a cane while I'm there.

I looked at the ones at CVS this weekend and I have some questions.
  • Are the straight but padded handles better than the curved handles?
  • It's my right hip that is bad. Do I hold the cane in my right or left hand?
  • I know the cane is adjustable so what height should it be? Should my arm be slightly bent?
  • Are there any restrictions as far as rides go?
  • Will I need a GAC?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Donna

One last thing on wheelchairs. Will I be able to roll my own wheel chair if necessary? I'm going with a friend and don't want to burden her with having to push me around all the time.

I've been diagnosed with advanced osteoarthritis in my right hip. Hip replacement is scheduled for December. I am leaving for WDW on Saturday.

I haven't had to yet but I may need to use a cane while I'm there.

I looked at the ones at CVS this weekend and I have some questions.
  • Are the straight but padded handles better than the curved handles?
  • It's my right hip that is bad. Do I hold the cane in my right or left hand?
  • I know the cane is adjustable so what height should it be? Should my arm be slightly bent?
  • Are there any restrictions as far as rides go?
  • Will I need a GAC?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Donna

One last thing on wheelchairs. Will I be able to roll my own wheel chair if necessary? I'm going with a friend and don't want to burden her with having to push me around all the time.

I can help a little. I have 2 canes. A solid but slightly bent with a padded handle. I use that on occaison. I also have a fold up one. That one I bring with me to Disney. I carry a tote like bag when I go (for all my stuff) and when I get on a ride I fold it up and put it in my bag. no chance of losing it or it being in my way. One time when I went on everest they said I couldn't take it with me, which would have been a problem when I tried to get out of the ride, but I told him it folded and I stuck it in my bag. He was ok with that. So just a thought there.

As far as what side to use it on, I hear both ways so I use the side that makes me feel more comfortable and yes, it is adjusted so my arm is bend slightly.

I do have a GAC because I cannot stand for long periods of time. Both my DH and I are walking/standing impaired so we rent an evc but only 1 and we switch off. I don't want to deal with 2 of them. As long as I use my cane for some support when standing and don't have to wait too long in lines I do OK.

Oh and if you are not used to using a wheelchair it will be very tiring for you to wheel yourself around. I would suggest an evc.

Hope I was able to help some. Have a glorious trip!!!

You were a great help phorsenuf.
When I was looking at the canes at CVS I didn't see the folding ones. Or maybe I just didn't look hard enough LOL. Where can I get one?

Thanks for the tip about the wheelchair, your response is kind of what I figured.

At this point, I don't know how bad it's going to be and whether I will need an ECV or wheelchair. The worst part is the first 20 or 30 steps after sitting down. Very painful. After that it's just painful but not horrible.

i would also suggest an ECV when you are there... its disney, so no reason to be in pain if you can avoid it...

i would check sams club or any place that carries Hugo folding canes... thats what i have and i love it!

Another option to consider is a hiking pole. You can get these with walking stick handles if you want that. They are telescopic, so you can collapse it for rides (a lot like a folding cane, but it gives more adjustability for height), though I found mine would lie along the floor of most ride cars without collapsing (though I'm 5'5", so it might not work for a taller person).

I'm afraid I can't help you with which side to use it on, as I have problems on both sides. I'd second the 'do what works for you' sentiment.

As for wheeling, Disney is BIG! If you're used to wheeling yourself, it's a comparatively easy roll (I'm used to Exeter which is all hills), but it would probably be too much for a novice. That's not to say that you can't push yourself at all, just don't expect to do the whole thing yourself. Also, be aware the the WDW chairs are tanks that always seem to veer off to one side or the other (not quite as hard to steer as a trolley (shopping cart) but they can come close). You may not be 'burdening' your friend as much as you think, my mother actually found it easier to push me than to walk normally, as she could lean some weight on my chair (I didn't mind because I have fatigue issues and wrist problems, so the help was appreciated).

The suggestion of an ECV might also be worth considering, as it will allow you to move yourself around the park without your friend as motor. If you do this, you might want to practice at a local store first, with one of their courtesy scooters. Just do be aware that they cost rather a lot more than an unpowered wheelchair.

Whatever you decide to do, don't be afraid to ask for help, and don't wait until you're in agony before you ask. I deliberately use more help than I need when I'm at Disney, so that my holiday isn't spoilt by excessive pain or exhaustion. Oh, and one last thing, if you decide you need a chair when part way around the park, you can ask a CM to have one sent around to you from the First Aid station, rather than you limping back to the entrance (I know this from many years of experience before I got my own chair).

Good luck and have a wonderful trip :goodvibes

Hi and :welcome: to disABILITIES!

When I was going through rehab after total hip replacement surgery I was told that the cane should be on the good side. Right now your left leg is carrying most of your weight, so when you are lifting up that leg is when you need support on both sides.

One unexpected thing that will happen once you have had the surgery is your knees will be annoying you for several months. This is because over the years you have been putting more and more weight on the left side and now you will be able to use both legs so the knee joints have to readapt ro normalcy.

And I would very strongly agree with others that you rent an ECV, probably from off-site.

Thanks Cheshire Figment! And everyone else who's replied.

One unexpected thing that will happen once you have had the surgery is your knees will be annoying you for several months. This is because over the years you have been putting more and more weight on the left side and now you will be able to use both legs so the knee joints have to readapt ro normalcy.

That may not be as much of a problem for me. I've only had this for less than a year but it has deteriorated VERY rapidly. And I'm only 47!

Since I CAN walk (just not sure how much) I will probably go with the wheelchair in the parks if I have to. I just spoke with my traveling pal and she has NO problem pushing the wheelchair if it comes to that.

The ECV is not out of the question though. If I decide I DO need it after I arrive, I can determine if I should order off site or take my chances when I'm at one of the parks.

We're both Disney veterans so there's no need for either of to go commando-style on this trip either. That should help.

I am going to look for the collapsible cane. The prices for the telescoping walking sticks were over $100. Not in my budget LOL.

I have a T-handled cane and love it. The first one I bought was a curved handled one and I didn't like it as much.

My physical therapist told me that the cane goes in the opposite hand of the injury. Example, left hand if it's your right hip. The theory is you put the cane out with your left hand as you step with your right. That way you are somewhat stablized when you walk.

I ordered my cane off the internet. I was only 27 when I started to use it and was determined to get the best looking cane I could find. Mine is clear plastic, but sturdy.

Good luck to you.

I have had 2 knee replacements this year and may have a hip done soon, and I am also only 47. My advice is rent the EVC. You will be surprised how much more you will enjoy the trip.

We were going quite often and with each trip I was enjoying them less and less. For the last trip before my surgery, I relented and rented one off-site.

It was a whole new trip for me! I had forgotten what a wonderful time I use to have before my knees ruled my life.

They will deliver your EVC to your hotel and its usually cheaper than renting from the parks and with the parks they may or may not have any available when you get there.

To answer your cane question, I love mine with the padded handle. I have used the older kind and just like these better.

Just to add to what everyone else said

Any good physio will tell you to put the cane in whatever hand it feels most comfortable. Whichever way feels safe and secure is the right way for you.

I agree 100% that your friend will likely prefer pushing you around. When my grandma and I go out she insists on pushing me and when my friends take me out they insist it takes no effort. DO NOT push yourself around! Not only will it hurt your arms you will likely get blisters on your hand.

Take a small rag or shammy with you so that you can dry off the chair as needed (due to periodic rains in Florida).

JRA ate both my knees and I'm only 27, it takes all ages.

You were a great help phorsenuf.
When I was looking at the canes at CVS I didn't see the folding ones. Or maybe I just didn't look hard enough LOL. Where can I get one?

Thanks for the tip about the wheelchair, your response is kind of what I figured.

At this point, I don't know how bad it's going to be and whether I will need an ECV or wheelchair. The worst part is the first 20 or 30 steps after sitting down. Very painful. After that it's just painful but not horrible.

Whaatever the normal restrictive pain is at home and seni sedentary, the trip tp Disney is really tough. I would go to a local mall and do a real afternoon of shopping to test out. But, in advance I would already feel you could severly flare.

The use of a ECV is to conserve your body for enjoyment of a special vacation. In know after my knee, back, and hip injury when I rented the scooter for at leaast 5 days for the park, my husband even needed a rest.

I also have a rollator I use for many occasions. It has a seat on it, light and looks much like a cart.
Canes, will never support by forward pressure for taking the weight from my body,
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=161715
This one is $66,62 and has great heavy duty wheels. Sams club
0004129801013_L4.jpg

dianne

Thank you all so much for your insight and input. I'm just going to see how it goes. I'll start with the cane (just bought a foldable travel cane). If I need a wheelchair (probably) or an ECV (maybe) I'll get one.
I KNEW I would get the absolute BEST answers here from all of you. :grouphug:

I have the same issues. Bad right hip, which will be replaced after the holidays. I am going in November. I have been using a cane since May. My orthopedic dr told me tu use it on my left..the opposite of the bad hip, for better balance.
I am renting a ECV for my trip. Not taking any chances.
Good luck in your surgery. You will be well on your way to recovery by the time I have mine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter