Cane with attached seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgattis

DIS Veteran
I thought I remembered reading here at some point that canes that folded into seats were not allowed in the parks. But I noticed a gentlemen carrying one (can't remember which park--sorry) over Thanksgiving week. Not sure if there has been a policy change (or if I was just wrong about that to begin with), but I thought I'd post the observation in case it helps anyone out.

To my knowledge, it is allowed for primary use as a cane -- which is a mobility device. It may not be allowed for use as a seat since folding seats are not allowed in WDW parks, plus the potential instability of a 3-legged seat with the crowds.

I saw at least 3 of them just last week.

One was being used as a stool. Although it could have also been used as a cane prior to that.

I thought I remembered reading here at some point that canes that folded into seats were not allowed in the parks. But I noticed a gentlemen carrying one (can't remember which park--sorry) over Thanksgiving week. Not sure if there has been a policy change (or if I was just wrong about that to begin with), but I thought I'd post the observation in case it helps anyone out.

It's probably more a case of Disney security not reading their own policies. Sorry, but I've read about wheeled coolers not being allowed in the parks, as well as no wheelies (children's shoes), yet been behind both of those and more at security and yet Disney security says nothing and lets them in.
At least that cane did meet a need for the gentleman.

I have seen them in the parks as well and I have also seen someone fall out and break there arm ( no I am not a DR but I will say some breaks you do not need to be a DR or have X-ray to tell it is a break so use your inmgunation on what her arm looked like)

with that said I would never use one as a set ( too many people can bump into you not too stable) I have also see a CM go up to a guest that was sitting on one and tell them they could not use it as a stool, I think a roller would be a much better option if you need a set if you just need something to stay your self with a cain would be fine.

You can use one as a cane, but you are not supposed to use it as a seat.

I saw at least 3 of them just last week.

One was being used as a stool. Although it could have also been used as a cane prior to that.

My guess is that a CM hadn't had a chance to see it in use/time to tell the guest it wasn't allowed to be used that way. Kind of like how a teacher doesn't see all of the kids using earbuds or cellphones in class, as that isn't the main focus when teaching.

It's probably more a case of Disney security not reading their own policies. Sorry, but I've read about wheeled coolers not being allowed in the parks, as well as no wheelies (children's shoes), yet been behind both of those and more at security and yet Disney security says nothing and lets them in.
At least that cane did meet a need for the gentleman.

Wheeled coolers shouldn't get by, but sometimes people claim they are needed for medicine, etc. Same with rolling suitcases. Wheel shoes are hard to spot sometimes - but I've seen CMs stop kids and tell the parent the child is not allowed to glide on them. Of course the parent does nothing...

You can use one as a cane, but you are not supposed to use it as a seat.

My guess is that a CM hadn't had a chance to see it in use/time to tell the guest it wasn't allowed to be used that way. Kind of like how a teacher doesn't see all of the kids using earbuds or cellphones in class, as that isn't the main focus when teaching.
It would be nice to think that, but it wasn't the case. I sometimes wonder if people have simply gotten so obnoxious that cast members don't want to engage them. Cast members simply don't want to be yelled at.
Wheeled coolers shouldn't get by, but sometimes people claim they are needed for medicine, etc. Same with rolling suitcases. Wheel shoes are hard to spot sometimes - but I've seen CMs stop kids and tell the parent the child is not allowed to glide on them. Of course the parent does nothing...
This past Monday there were two people with wheeled suitcases large enough to fit a large person. I can't imagine what medical equipment they were toting around. And no, they weren't cast members. They were wandering the park watching shows and such.

I will just say what I have seen at the parks.

But there are a few times I see very different tings from CM ( even managers ) one CM will not let anyone else on a ECV with the driver another will let a small child to sit on someones lap if the adult is driving and the adult can see over the child head.

Another example that I can think of is no one is allowed to stand on something so they can see I know a CM that will let a child stand on something if the parent is right there and the child head is not heghter then the parents head.

I think with a lot at Disney it is up to the CM at that time to determine if something is safe or unsafe and a cain with a set might be one of those gray area where one CM might say yes and not say a word and another might say no. but I can tell you have seen CM go up to guest sitting in then ( and some there was no one else with in a 10-15 foot radius ) that they could not sit in one.

for the OP all you can do is listen to what has been posted here then decided what you think is best are you going to be ok if a CM tells you that you can not use the cain as a set, will you be ok using it as a set ( agin if you are allowed and they are all are not that comfortable I have one/ may family has one, they are very and after the trip where I saw a guest fall out and break her arm that cain when in the trash). So in the end we each have to decide what we will do to accommodate our own disabilities and to make any trip to Disney the most comfortable for our selfs and then if we are not allowed to do something ( I know for my friend with an ECV every trip there is a line she was allowed/ not allowed to take in her ECV into) we just have to go with what the CM at the time tells use and then decide is it worth out time to ague with a CM that says something different/ not what we have heard on her/ not what we heard the day before or to just say ok to the CM. because at the end of the day the people on her say something is allowed is not allowed more then likely will not be the CM we encounter at the parks.

According to that one communication employee. Sadly, what you hear from one doesn't mean that's what will happen at the parks.
"That one CM" is in the disabilities dept and not just Joe Schmoe CM. She gave me her direct contact info and said I could call if I had any problems with any CMs at WDW. She also said take a copy of the email so those CMs could call her too. I'm pretty confident she knows what she's talking about if she gave me all of that. What else would you like her to do? Notarize her response?

"That one CM" is in the disabilities dept and not just Joe Schmoe CM. She gave me her direct contact info and said I could call if I had any problems with any CMs at WDW. She also said take a copy of the email so those CMs could call her too. I'm pretty confident she knows what she's talking about if she gave me all of that. What else would you like her to do? Notarize her response?

Yikes! Not feeling like I deserve such a response. It has been posted on the DIS over and over again how info given from one source does not always translate to having it work that way in the parks. Again, who is to say that the person who is giving you that info is going to have any say in the actual parks? I guess you could go up the chain of managers if you are denied the use of a cane seat, and have them contact the above-mentioned person, but they are not going to take any info from a guest about WDW policy at face value. Even the info you gave about what the "not Joe Schmoe CM" said stated it's at the CMs call if the seat can be used. So what's the point?

Cain set are not stable they are uncomfortable a good number of CM will ask you not too use them (even in the letter it say sometime they will not be allowed ) I would just save the hassle and use a different mobility device

And the OP was not even asking if they could just saw them and ask Igbo they were alllowed

The consistent answer has been that the canes with a fold down seat are allowed, although the guest may not be able to use them in all situations. Because of the cane, they are looked at as a mobility device/assist.

Folding chairs that are not also canes are not allowed because they are not Mobility devices.

If you want something that you can use to steady yourself/brace for walking and also sit whenever you want, a rollator is a better choice - much more stable and there will be no questions about whether it can be used to sit or not.

Yikes! Not feeling like I deserve such a response. It has been posted on the DIS over and over again how info given from one source does not always translate to having it work that way in the parks. Again, who is to say that the person who is giving you that info is going to have any say in the actual parks? I guess you could go up the chain of managers if you are denied the use of a cane seat, and have them contact the above-mentioned person, but they are not going to take any info from a guest about WDW policy at face value. Even the info you gave about what the "not Joe Schmoe CM" said stated it's at the CMs call if the seat can be used. So what's the point?
My point is that the Disabilities Dept is well trained in ADA compliance and many frontline CMs are only trained regarding a few matters when it comes to Disabilities. Unfortunately there are times that front line CMs are wrong when it comes to addressing disabilities and the right to use appropriate medical devices. Until they are corrected, they will continue to make the same mistakes. And even managers with the best intentions make mistakes when it comes to compliance. I have experienced it firsthand.

I am going to change what I wrote

1 I have stated what I have seen in an above post

2 do not want to get in a bock and forth with someone

3 the OP was not asking if they could use one they just saw someone with one ( and they ever said if they saw someone using it as a set as a cain or what not)

4 I think a good number of people that have used then will tell you they are not stable they are not comfortable and a roller would be a better use if someone needed help with walking and a place to sit ( and most CM would see this being use as a mobility device) and much more stable ( 4 legs instead of 3)

Last edited:
Comfort is VERY Subjective! What is comfortable to one may not be to another. Stability is also Subjective. Many people find 3 legs (or 3 wheels) to be perfectly stable for their needs. Just because one person doesn't find it to be comfortable/stable for him/herself doesn't mean that it won't be comfortable/stable for someone else. Everyone has different needs when it comes to this and it very well may suit someone else's needs quite adequately.

Closing as the question was answered and is now getting into argument

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter