canes and wheelchairs

springdal

Earning My Ears
Can anyone tell me if people using canes (who have a hard time walking a lot) or those in wheelchairs are required to wait in the long lines at attractions? What are the rules concerning these? Thanks...and I love the different threads going!!!:mickeyjum

Best answers to this would be found over on the disABILITIES board.. which is where I'm moving this to!

Thanks!

Knox

Can anyone tell me if people using canes (who have a hard time walking a lot) or those in wheelchairs are required to wait in the long lines at attractions? What are the rules concerning these? Thanks...and I love the different threads going!!!:mickeyjum

You'll get more complete info and help over on the disABILITIES! Board.

:thumbsup2

EDIT: CanadianGuy and I were posting at the same time.

Yes, you are required to wait in the same lines--then you get pulled out and get to wait some more (on a ride vehicle that is adapted or on other mobility challenged people to exit.) :rolleyes1

The vast majority of lines are wide enough for the person to remain in their chair until they reach the ride car boarding area, so yes, you'll wait in the line with all other guests. For those attractions that don't have wheelchair compatible lines, there are alternative entrances. For some attractions your wait time may be longer than fully ambulatory riders, depending upon if you need an adapted ride car. Wait times may also increase due to the possibility of an emergency ride evacuation...some rides only allow a specific number of mobility impaired riders on the ride at any given time.

If someone walks with a cane and tires easily standing or walking long distances, a wheelchair or ECV (scooter) is a wonderful alternative.

Check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread for more specific information.
But, as was already mentioned, many of the lines are wheelchair accessible, so people using wheelchairs wait in the same line as everyone else.

The official WDW advice for people with concerns about their stamina or ability to wait in lines is to use a wheelchair or ECV. The reason for that is walking and standing in lines is a small part of the day. Someone who expects they might have problems with standing in lines is going to have even more problems just getting from place to place.

If you want to avoid waiting in long lines, the best bets are to use Fastpass or to use a touring plan like those in the Unofficial Guide to WDW or TourGuide Mike (a Theme Park Board sponsor). With using those things, you will be in the places that are not busy, so not only will the lines be shorter, but it will also be easier to get around with less people.

as a daily-cane user, i can definitely say, use a wheelchair or ECV in WDW!!! I have had a cane or crutches daily for about a year, and I could not have made it without my wheelchair.

unless you have a specific reason why you cannot use an ECV/wheelchair (i.e. broken tailbone so you can't sit - but then i dont know how you would sit on rides!) then they will tell you to use a wheelchair. you will not get to skip the lines with a cane...

i would suggest getting a folding cane, which you can pull out when needed - it was great for me, but again, i would never have been able to do it without my wheelchair!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter