Canon 1000D (Rebel XS, Kiss F)

mabas9395

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0806/08061002Canon1000D.asp

It sounds like this is supposed to be an even more entry level camera than the XT series. Some initial reviews say it is a step below the new XSi but a step above the almost new XTi (but at a better price).

There is also a new version of the 430ex flash, the 430ex II. A little faster, a little quieter and should probably give Master Mason the in camera controls with the 40d that he is looking for.

This is supposed to be Canon's answer to Nikon's D40/D40x/D60 series. We'll see how they do their marketing on it. Even a Canon fanboy like myself has been dissappointed with Canon's past marketing campagins. I give major kudos to Nikon for their genius marketing scheme for the D series.

I apologize upfront. I keep posting camera compares but I guess the more I research the more I change my mind.

Ok I held a bunch went to a bunch of camera shops and researched the internet.

Deciding between the D40 D60 and XS. Every camera shop says the D40 and D60 are almost the same just a little more MP on the 60. Not sure if that is worth the extra $$. All photo shops I spoke with said no, D40 was the wiser as D60 didn't offer enought upgrade over the D40. Not sure if that is true or is the D60 is worth it.

Which would be recommend between the 3? Was leaning towards D40 because it was a lot cheaper and figured with the $$ saved I could buy an additional lens, but if the XS is just that much better of a camera over all maybe I will forgo the extra lens right away and get that and buy a zoom lens a few months down the line.

Any thoughts? Thanks again for everyones help!

:scared1:

No offense to you dr_zero, but I think this board should have an anti-Ken Rockwell rule. I am a very mellow understanding kind of person, but I can honestly say that I despise that guy! I do not even think there even many Nikon lovers that like him. Have you ever hear the phrase, "A legend in his own mind"?

To the OP, I ask one question. Are you wanting to get low light shots as a primary concern for your upgrade? If so, are you OK with paying $400 for a lens to do that vs. $100 for a Canon or a Nikon that has the AF motor (i.e. D80)? I have not followed your search, but have you considered the other brands? The models in your short list are all on the small side. Is that something you are looking for? If so, also consider Olympus. If not, then maybe you should look for something larger. The ones you picked are personally too small for me.

No offense to you dr_zero, but I think this board should have an anti-Ken Rockwell rule. I am a very mellow understanding kind of person, but I can honestly say that I despise that guy! I do not even think there even many Nikon lovers that like him. Have you ever hear the phrase, "A legend in his own mind"?

To the OP, I ask one question. Are you wanting to get low light shots as a primary concern for your upgrade? If so, are you OK with paying $400 for a lens to do that vs. $100 for a Canon or a Nikon that has the AF motor (i.e. D80)? I have not followed your search, but have you considered the other brands? The models in your short list are all on the small side. Is that something you are looking for? If so, also consider Olympus. If not, then maybe you should look for something larger. The ones you picked are personally too small for me.

I would love to take great low light shots that I see on these boards, but I am also realistic (or my wife is trying to make me ;) ). The D80 does appeal to me, just not my budget. Looks like that one is going for around $1000 with kit lens. And $400 for a lens is probably too much for me.

A friend of mine who is an avid photographer recommended the XSi with D60 close behind. Being that it is my first DSLR I am trying to spend closer to $600 (give or take a little) to make sure this is something that I am going to have time to invest in before investing more $$$.

I keep leaning towards the Nikon over Cannon although I see nothing but good reviews for the Cannon.

As for the size, the smaller size is a plus. Figured it is easier to lug around with kids in tow. Plus my wife will be using it too. I did look at the Oly 520, as it was recommended by one of the camera shops, but it looked like the Nikon and Cannon got better reviews. I also looked into Sony as they seem to get get reviews, just afraid to invest in Sony over Nikon or Cannon.

My other thought was a Pentax K200D. In cleaning out an old room last night I found my wife's old Pentax 35MM's (had 2) and lens (Takumar-a 1:35-4.5 28-80mm and pentax-m 1:1.7 50mm). Not sure if the k200 has the motor in-body though so lens would not be of great benefit then.

AS my buddy told me last night, I just have to bite the bullet and make a decision already! :rotfl:

Thanks for everyones help.

Trust me, you can drive yourself crazy trying to pick the perfect camera! I've been in the same dillema before and know how frustrating. Eventually you just have to bite the bullet and make the choice. And then be ready for the doubts and buyers remorse you are sure to experience. ;)

I did the same thing before finally buying the Nikon D60 as an upgrade from the D50. I'd sold the whole kit, including the 2 extra lenses I had, and had to decide if I wanted to stick with Nikon or move over to Canon. In the end, I chose the D60 and I'm so glad I did! Took it on vacation last week. It was light enough that I didn't have any problems carrying it with me everywhere. The shots I got were outstanding. Very little tweaking needed in Photoshop, which is exactly what I wanted. FOr the first couple weeks I was wondering if I'd made the right decision. After seeing my vacation photos, I have no regrets and no doubts I made the right choice for me.

FWIW, I choose the D60 over the D40 mainly because it's newer. :o I'd bought the D50 after it was discontinued, and while it was a good camera, I still wondered if I should have gone with the newer problems because it did have some quirks and issues. THis time I just decided to go newer. Plus, I wanted to option to do more cropping in Photoshop, so I wanted the extra MP of the D60.

GOod luck! Remember, the best camera is the one you have and the one you'll use. ;) The longer you spend hemming and hawing over which one to get, the less time you have to be out there learning your equipment and taking pictures. ;)

I would love to take great low light shots that I see on these boards, but I am also realistic (or my wife is trying to make me ;) ). The D80 does appeal to me, just not my budget. Looks like that one is going for around $1000 with kit lens. And $400 for a lens is probably too much for me.

A friend of mine who is an avid photographer recommended the XSi with D60 close behind. Being that it is my first DSLR I am trying to spend closer to $600 (give or take a little) to make sure this is something that I am going to have time to invest in before investing more $$$.

I keep leaning towards the Nikon over Cannon although I see nothing but good reviews for the Cannon.

As for the size, the smaller size is a plus. Figured it is easier to lug around with kids in tow. Plus my wife will be using it too. I did look at the Oly 520, as it was recommended by one of the camera shops, but it looked like the Nikon and Cannon got better reviews. I also looked into Sony as they seem to get get reviews, just afraid to invest in Sony over Nikon or Cannon.

My other thought was a Pentax K200D. In cleaning out an old room last night I found my wife's old Pentax 35MM's (had 2) and lens (Takumar-a 1:35-4.5 28-80mm and pentax-m 1:1.7 50mm). Not sure if the k200 has the motor in-body though so lens would not be of great benefit then.

AS my buddy told me last night, I just have to bite the bullet and make a decision already! :rotfl:

My personal choice would be the K200D, but that is b/c I love my K100D. Your old lenses will work on the new camera. I doubt that the 50mm would AF though b/c I think it is a MF lens. It is still a nice lens though. I had a MF 50mm f/2 before I got my f/1.4. The other lens probably would not get used too much b/c it is basically a kit lens, but does give a little more reach. As for kit lenses, the Pentax is still the best IMO b/c of the build quality and non-rotating front element. The new IS kit lenses from C&N are much better than the old ones, but still not great. They seem very cheap and fragile to me. On a side note, the "upgraded" kit lenses from Nikon seem much better. There is one that is a 18-135mm I believe.

Outside of my brand loyalty :sad2: have you thought about the XT and XTi? There is also the XS, which is new but still cheaper than the XSi.

We all have our own opinion of the person but alot of his reviews are not bad and I have found some very useful information reading over his site.

My personal choice would be the K200D, but that is b/c I love my K100D. Your old lenses will work on the new camera. I doubt that the 50mm would AF though b/c I think it is a MF lens. It is still a nice lens though. I had a MF 50mm f/2 before I got my f/1.4. The other lens probably would not get used too much b/c it is basically a kit lens, but does give a little more reach. As for kit lenses, the Pentax is still the best IMO b/c of the build quality and non-rotating front element. The new IS kit lenses from C&N are much better than the old ones, but still not great. They seem very cheap and fragile to me. On a side note, the "upgraded" kit lenses from Nikon seem much better. There is one that is a 18-135mm I believe.

Outside of my brand loyalty :sad2: have you thought about the XT and XTi? There is also the XS, which is new but still cheaper than the XSi.

If I'm not mistaken, there are 2 Pentax 50mm f/1.7's. One is auto focus and one is manual focus.

Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f1.7

Pentax A 50mm f/1.7 MF

Kenny, I would look into this specific lens to find out if it is manual or auto focus. If it is Auto Focus, then I would seriously consider the K200D with a kit lens and maybe the 55-200 or 50-300mm lens.

All the Pentax dSLR's will auto focus with any Pentax auto focus lens. Pentax has a very good lineup of dSLR's and their 50mm f/1.4 lens is about $200. Great for low light and nice to have for portraits and natural light candids of your kids. The Pentax kit lens is very good for its class.

I'm a Nikon guy. The D60 is a great camera. You can easily get a nice set up with the 18-55mm VR and 50-200mm VR lens or start with just the 18-135mm lens. Then down the road add a 70-300mm VR (super nice lens) and/or a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 when it fits your budget.

If I'm not mistaken, there are 2 Pentax 50mm f/1.7's. One is auto focus and one is manual focus.

Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f1.7

Pentax A 50mm f/1.7 MF

Kenny, I would look into this specific lens to find out if it is manual or auto focus. If it is Auto Focus, then I would seriously consider the K200D with a kit lens and maybe the 55-200 or 50-300mm lens.

All the Pentax dSLR's will auto focus with any Pentax auto focus lens. Pentax has a very good lineup of dSLR's and their 50mm f/1.4 lens is about $200. Great for low light and nice to have for portraits and natural light candids of your kids. The Pentax kit lens is very good for its class.

I'm a Nikon guy. The D60 is a great camera. You can easily get a nice set up with the 18-55mm VR and 50-200mm VR lens or start with just the 18-135mm lens. Then down the road add a 70-300mm VR (super nice lens) and/or a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 when it fits your budget.

Thanks. brought the lens into a camera shop and they would not AF on the k200, Were too old.

I decided to go with the D60! Thanks everyone for all the help.

Thanks. brought the lens into a camera shop and they would not AF on the k200, Were too old.

I decided to go with the D60! Thanks everyone for all the help.

If they did not AF on the K200D, then they were not AF lenses. You might think about selling them to get some more money for your new camera. It might be a MF, but the 50mm is still a highly regarded lens.

We bought our 16 yr old the canon rebel XS a few weeks ago for her birthday.
As of now she just has the lens that came with it. I want to get her a few lens for Xmas but am not sure what ones.

She wants a fish-eye and probally a zoom. Will any DSLR fit or do I need to get one made specifically for canon ? Sorry for the dumb question but I am a PS person so I know nothing about DSLR.

You need to get one specifically for Canon. :) Other brands make them, just make sure they have a Canon mount.

You will need a lens that fits the Canon EOS system. Canon, Sigma, Tokina, etc., have lens that fit the camera. The Canon lenses are generally more expensive; however, they are sure to work. The other manufacturers are less expensive, and generally take pretty good pictures, but many do have some issues with focusing, either automatically or manually.

A fish-eye for your camera is likely to be fairly expensive, no matter what manufacturer you use.

Starting lens recommendations generally run along getting a nifty 50mm f1.8 lens and either the 55-250mm zoom or the 75-300mm zoom.

The 50 is under $100. The other two are in the $250-$350 range. The 50mm is highly recommended because it takes good pictures in low light conditions, but it has no zoom capability by definition. But, it is easy to have, to use, and inexpensive and people really enjoy it's crisp pictures; thus, it is a favorite for close ups (though generally not macro) and portraits

A fish-eye lens is likely to be higher than $350.

thanks for the info. Sounds like we need to get her the ' nifty 50 ' . I will look into the fish eye. I still have about $400 left towards my xmas budget for her, but she also wants a flash :rolleyes1 , so I will have to decide what to get, normally I would get it all but I am trying to cut back this year :lmao: .

If I had $400 for camera stuff right now and only the camera and kit lens, I would get the 430EX flash (which is actually in my cart at Amazon!), the Nifty 50, and a bag to store and carry my camera stuff.

Other stuff she's probably going to want are an extra battery (and possibly a grip), extra memory, a tripod, and possibly filters and/ or hoods for her lenses.

And after she gets all that, she'll find something else to want. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter