Can't Find Resort Availability in October

LeilaKens

Earning My Ears
What is going on during the 2nd week of October?? We are trying to book a short trip from Oct 8-12 and there are practically no rooms available. I know it is Columbus Day on Monday and that will increase crowds some but I have never seen it where there aren't any rooms available. When I called the CM told me there was an IT convention earlier that week but it wouldn't affect park crowd levels. Is this true? We went in the first of August at the absolutely most crowded time (work trip) and do not want to do that again. So will the crowds be anything like the first of August? And why are no rooms available? Thanks for your advice!

The IT convention is the Gartner Synpoism, it is held each October at the Yacht Club area convention center. It needs so much space that they have make shift tents set up for the seminars. THey also commondere a full television station while there for their schedule and videos of the seminars.
Its the biggest convention that takes place on Disney property and they eat up ALOT of rooms.
WIth the epcot resort area being our normal stay in the fall we make sure to plan around this event, a couple times quite a few years ago we got stuck in the middle of it and it gets real hectic around crescent lake to the point that
its overrun and the ambiance is spoiled by their presence. they take over the beaches each night, the yacht club boardwalk is roped off and the eateries around there are always superbooked.

That's why you cannot get there in mid October. they don't just come for a couple days even though the seminar is like only 5 days, they just make a vacation out of it and are there for a while.

Also its food and wine and they offered a lot of room discounts last month for OCtober, so that tipped the scale when they sold those unsold rooms.

The IT convention is the Gartner Synpoism, it is held each October at the Yacht Club area convention center. It needs so much space that they have make shift tents set up for the seminars. THey also commondere a full television station while there for their schedule and videos of the seminars.
Its the biggest convention that takes place on Disney property and they eat up ALOT of rooms.
WIth the epcot resort area being our normal stay in the fall we make sure to plan around this event, a couple times quite a few years ago we got stuck in the middle of it and it gets real hectic around crescent lake to the point that
its overrun and the ambiance is spoiled by their presence. they take over the beaches each night, the yacht club boardwalk is roped off and the eateries around there are always superbooked.

That's why you cannot get there in mid October. they don't just come for a couple days even though the seminar is like only 5 days, they just make a vacation out of it and are there for a while.

Also its food and wine and they offered a lot of room discounts last month for OCtober, so that tipped the scale when they sold those unsold rooms.

Just to add, the dates for the Gartner Symposium 2014 are Oct 5-9 2014.

Couple the Gartner Symposium with Columbus Day weekend, Food & Wine, MNSSHP, and a free dining pin code that allowed select early October dates and its a recipe for busy resorts. The parks may not be too impacted, but the convention and free dining definitely entices people to stay on site. And I know the Epcot area books fast during Food & Wine due to the close proximity and convenience.

Plus, on top of all of the above, you have fall breaks at many southern state schools. Ours is 10/6-10 and I know many who plan to head to Disney that week. We were originally going to be going too but had to switch to just before school started instead.

Coumbus Day is Monday the 13th. Lots of people have that day off so are probably doing the 10th-13th as a long weekend.

Also if there is just one unavailable night in your dates, it will show as unavailable for the whole trip. Play with the dates and see what is available.

We went last year during during this time and noticed that the EPCOT Resorts were full early. We ended up booking at the Poly as it was before most of the construction started and we were spending time at MK and EPCOT a lot for this trip.

We did spend some time at YC and BW during that trip and did not notice any issues with the conventioneers.

I am hoping our trip this year and staying at the BW will not have any issues :goodvibes

We were in Disney from Aug.8- Aug. 18th and felt is was less crowded than our last couple of October trips. We now avoid Columbus Day weekend at Disney, it is very crowded. If going to F&W is a priority that would not be the time I would chose if you have flexibility.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter