• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can't hold it in anymore...

Well, it used to be called EPCOT Center... I can't really blame people for still using the EPCOT name instead of Epcot, since Epcot doesn't really mean anything, it's just a theme park name. There was something special about the Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow. (And the fact that Every Paycheque Comes On Thursday.)

It's no wonder that nobody can get the castle's name right, since King Stefan's Banquet Hall (Princess Aurora's father) used to be the name of the restaurant in Cinderella Castle. Somebody *really* wasn't paying attention.

The use of the apostrophe character in written Hawaiian language (well, its existence in a word does indicate a letter, kind of, it does make a difference in how a word is pronounced) is *very* foreign to... well, basically everyone who isn't Hawaiian or familiar with the Hawaiian language. People are much more comfortable with and used to the Irish way of using the apostrophe, which is likely why so many people write out O'Hana instead of 'Ohana. Doesn't make them right, just an explanation. The Hawaiian language is, sadly, dying. The Hawaiian culture is at death's door. I've tried to teach myself some Hawaiian, but it's a little difficult. But I'd hate for the language to go extinct, especially when so much of the culture has already gone extinct or been combined with the culture and music of other Pacific Island nations. Did you know that there were no guitars in Hawaiian music until the cowboys came? My husband used to play in an authentic Hawaiian band that had a Hawaiian dance group counterpart (the woman in the group who I knew was actually Hawaiian). Everyone may think of Don Ho and "Tiny Bubbles" when they think of "Hawaiian music", but it couldn't be farther from the truth. Don Ho wasn't, like, 100% Hawaiian or anything (and I have this on the highest authority, from the man himself, rest his soul).

Well, it used to be called EPCOT Center... I can't really blame people for still using the EPCOT name instead of Epcot, since Epcot doesn't really mean anything, it's just a theme park name. There was something special about the Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow. (And the fact that Every Paycheque Comes On Thursday.)

It's no wonder that nobody can get the castle's name right, since King Stefan's Banquet Hall (Princess Aurora's father) used to be the name of the restaurant in Cinderella Castle. Somebody *really* wasn't paying attention.

The use of the apostrophe character in written Hawaiian language (well, its existence in a word does indicate a letter, kind of, it does make a difference in how a word is pronounced) is *very* foreign to... well, basically everyone who isn't Hawaiian or familiar with the Hawaiian language. People are much more comfortable with and used to the Irish way of using the apostrophe, which is likely why so many people write out O'Hana instead of 'Ohana. Doesn't make them right, just an explanation. The Hawaiian language is, sadly, dying. The Hawaiian culture is at death's door. I've tried to teach myself some Hawaiian, but it's a little difficult. But I'd hate for the language to go extinct, especially when so much of the culture has already gone extinct or been combined with the culture and music of other Pacific Island nations. Did you know that there were no guitars in Hawaiian music until the cowboys came? My husband used to play in an authentic Hawaiian band that had a Hawaiian dance group counterpart (the woman in the group who I knew was actually Hawaiian). Everyone may think of Don Ho and "Tiny Bubbles" when they think of "Hawaiian music", but it couldn't be farther from the truth. Don Ho wasn't, like, 100% Hawaiian or anything (and I have this on the highest authority, from the man himself, rest his soul).

Pay checks don't come on Thursdsay here. They come on the 20th, whatever day that is. But if it's a Saturday, it comes on Friday and if it's a Sunday, it comes on Monday.

We are changing the name to EPCOW then, every paycheck comes on whenever

1) It's not EPCOT, it's Epcot.

This one is news to me. When I first went, it was EPCOT because it was an acroynm. Wiki says they changed it from EPCOT to Epcot in 1994, but I can't find any article explaining why. I haven't been since 97 and didn't realize it had changed. It's hard not to think of it as the acronym after knowing it that way for so long.

That's what cinched the Charmin gig for that bear. True Story!:ssst:

tumblr_nmtuvnd2uF1us5lplo1_400.gif

;)

When you gotta go, you gotta go.

;)

Not that it really bugs me that much, but I will add that "The Happiest Place On Earth" is the tag line for Disneyland, not Disney World.
But they say that in Disney World over the speakers, right? My 3 year old kept reminding me where we were on our last vacation and used that line (he's never been to Disneyland)

1) It's not EPCOT, it's Epcot.

2) It's not Cinderella's Castle, it's Cinderella Castle.

3) It's not O'hana, it's 'Ohana.

There, I said it. I feel better now.

Thank you.

MG

I was always told that it IS in fact EPCOT because it's an acronym Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter