***Can't keep us down...OFFICIAL MAY 2021 THREAD...come heck or high water we're going to WDW!!!***

New to this thread, so apologies if this has been asked! Is anyone else concerned about wearing masks in May? I’m trying to convince my parents to go, but they keep bringing up mask wearing and the Florida heat.

Nope, but I live in NYC and we've been wearing masks here from the start through all kinds of weather, and yes FL is more humid but here in August is armpit weather as well. Early May is different in FL in terms of weather than later in the month so that's also a factor, it's a bit cooler and far less rainy and muggy.

I'll be blunt, if this is something you have to convince them of it's probably better they stay home. Masks are here to stay for the foreseeable future. It's best you try several different styles of masks to trial them and see which works best before you get down there. IME disposable masks are much more bearable in heat and weather than the reusable kind.

Nope, but I live in NYC and we've been wearing masks here from the start through all kinds of weather, and yes FL is more humid but here in August is armpit weather as well. Early May is different in FL in terms of weather than later in the month so that's also a factor, it's a bit cooler and far less rainy and muggy.

I'll be blunt, if this is something you have to convince them of it's probably better they stay home. Masks are here to stay for the foreseeable future. It's best you try several different styles of masks to trial them and see which works best before you get down there. IME disposable masks are much more bearable in heat and weather than the reusable kind.
They have no issue with wearing a mask in general, apologies if I did not clarify. We have already gone to Disney one since the pandemic. They wear masks every day, as they are healthcare workers. And me convincing them is because they deserve a break and a nice time away from dealing with COVID patients constantly.

They are mainly concerned with overheating.

They have no issue with wearing a mask in general, apologies if I did not clarify. We have already gone to Disney one since the pandemic. They wear masks every day, as they are healthcare workers. And me convincing them is because they deserve a break and a nice time away from dealing with COVID patients constantly.

Masks really don't cause overheating from experience, like I said though the main thing is to try different styles. Cloth might look cute but in heat and humidity disposable ones are a lot easier to breathe in.

My advice is to just take it slow. Get up early, hit the park before rope drop and leave before the heat (and heaviest crowds) in the middle of the day. I’d also bring extra masks if they get too sweaty.

I'm praying that we don't have to wear masks when outside walking around. I can definitely see wearing them standing in line or inside.

We did it! We've booked a stay at CBR for May 6-13!! My son graduated high school last May, and of course, his senior trip was cancelled. We haven't been to WDW in 5 years, so I have a lot to catch up on!
I hope you have a great time. if you have any questions you need answered, I am sure us May folks will do our best to help you catch up.

Totally forgot to post prior, but booked BWV w/family DVC Points May 9-13th and heading over to Loews Royal Pacific @ Universal May 13-17th.

Still need to secure tickets (Since I'm using Dad's DVC membership for the booking and it'll be my Girlfriend with me, we're hoping we can still take advantage of the DVC Ticket offer). Otherwise we're on the countdown to booking ADRs

We're getting close enough to our currently booked May trip that we've started to really take a serious look at things, and now that there are vaccines, we've decided that we're more comfortable waiting to go until we've been vaccinated. Since there's three weeks between doses, and another two weeks to full effectiveness, if we're not able to get vaccinated by mid-March, we're going to postpone yet again to December. This May will already be a year since our originally planned trip, so it will be crushingly disappointing if we have to put it off even further, but being vaccinated will let us be a little more relaxed, and on the bright side, by December, maybe things will have started to return to "normal."

I'm praying that we don't have to wear masks when outside walking around. I can definitely see wearing them standing in line or inside.

Don’t count on it. I would frankly be shocked if mask restrictions get loosened any time in 2021 tbqh. Vaccines are not a magic bullet and masks and distancing will still need to be done until at least herd immunity is achieved. The way this rollout is going we’d be lucky to achieve that by fall. May is a pipe dream.

We're getting close enough to our currently booked May trip that we've started to really take a serious look at things, and now that there are vaccines, we've decided that we're more comfortable waiting to go until we've been vaccinated. Since there's three weeks between doses, and another two weeks to full effectiveness, if we're not able to get vaccinated by mid-March, we're going to postpone yet again to December. This May will already be a year since our originally planned trip, so it will be crushingly disappointing if we have to put it off even further, but being vaccinated will let us be a little more relaxed, and on the bright side, by December, maybe things will have started to return to "normal."

I hear you. We’re in the same boat only we have the border to contend with also. The silver lining is that I’m a city worker eligible now and snagged an appointment for Sunday and my gf will be eligible in the next round of Ontario’s rollout because she’s high risk.

I’m just hoping I can actually get my shot on Sunday. Things are not great with the rollout in NYC to put it mildly.

I got my first dose of the vaccine yesterday morning. It will probably be several weeks before my husband is eligible, and my daughter is probably in the lowest priority group. I hope we can all get vaccinated before our trip.

I haven't dared cancel things yet but we're thinking along the same lines. Our family is likely the last group to get vaccinated in our state and right now the timeline is April-May which makes getting vaccinated before May 8, our arrival date, highly unlikely. Just waiting for Farro to start the May 2022 group...lol.

I don’t blame you. My husband and I both work from home now and we will probably have only gotten the first of the two doses (if any) by the time our trip comes around. We’ve had a couple discussions and we’re still going but it was not any easy decision. I hope your December trip has two times the magic since you’ve had to postpone it twice!

We are in the 65 and older group and are hopping to get the vaccine sometime in March, if not sooner. Our trip is May 2-7, and if we have been vaccinated, then we will feel more comfortable in restaurant settings, where people take off their masks. We have been to WDW twice, in October 2020 and just last week, and so far the mask restrictions have worked to keep us safe. :)

I hope by May that Disney brings back things like fireworks and shows. But I don't expect them to drop the mask requirements by May. We also want to get one more trip out of our AP before it expires at the end of May. :)

I’m hoping we will be vaccinated by our May trip just for the security of it. We visited Universal last year with masks and it wouldn’t bother us to wear them again. I will now wear masks anytime I’m in really crowded areas (like while waiting for fireworks) just so we don’t catch the flu or sore throats etc! We’ve never been healthier than we have been this year. 10 months without so much as a cold because we are required to wear masks in public at all times here.

On the vaccine front, my oldest has been vaccinated already as she’s an RN in the Covid unit of our local hospital. Still waiting for the rest of the family to qualify.

Great news, I was able to get my first shot today, literally quick and painless. It actually took longer for my friend’s husband to drive us across town to the site than it did for us to actually get the shots! We got the Moderna which was a relief, I was concerned about the Pfizer one only because of my history of anaphylaxis due to food allergies. It was very well organized and the workers were great. Once we got the shot we were directed to schedule an appointment for shot #2 28 days afterwards so we ended up making it for the same time again on Valentine’s Day funny enough, which got some jokes from my friend’s husband lol. I’m just really relieved. Gf needs to get hers but I’m confident.

Great news, I was able to get my first shot today, literally quick and painless. It actually took longer for my friend’s husband to drive us across town to the site than it did for us to actually get the shots! We got the Moderna which was a relief, I was concerned about the Pfizer one only because of my history of anaphylaxis due to food allergies. It was very well organized and the workers were great. Once we got the shot we were directed to schedule an appointment for shot #2 28 days afterwards so we ended up making it for the same time again on Valentine’s Day funny enough, which got some jokes from my friend’s husband lol. I’m just really relieved. Gf needs to get hers but I’m confident.
That's great. Hopefully your GF can get her shots, and Trudeau actually lets her out of the country.

That's great. Hopefully your GF can get her shots, and Trudeau actually lets her out of the country.

The border issue is more concerning to me...but I’m praying with a stronger & more coordinated federal response we can get this thing under control to the point it can be safely reopened. Worst case scenario we stretch the October weekend into our big trip for the year. Not ideal but it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter