Can't make a decision HELP!

Countrywife45

Mouseketeer
So I am coming in July with grandsons and my daugher, SIL and the baby will meet us there. We have reservatons at POFQ....I do however own a 30ft Rockwood that would accomodate all of us. My husband does not Disney, so I will be driving alone with the boys from NC. I am ok with driving the rig....my problem is I don't know if I can back it in at Ft. Wilderness. I know I can set it up, I know I can get it there, I chickend out of camping at all over the back in issue.

So, if you were new to this, how difficult would it be to back it in? What loops/site type should I look for simplicity? Any and all advice is welcome!

Thanks

Perhaps you should see if you can get a site for the dates of your planned trip. If so, I agree that a little practice is probably all you need. Don't be afraid to ask someone at the campground to give you some visual assistance. There are plenty of easiser sites to back into (I'd stay away from the preferred loops).
Truthfully, if you are not confident in backing up the rig, you should probably not be considering the drive. You never know when you might be in a situation where you need to back up during your travels.

FYI - hope you have 2 rooms booked at POFQ (from your other thread, doesn't seem you do).
You can't stay in 1 room at POFQ with 5 people plus a toddler (under age 3) - you need 2 rooms. Just want to be sure you know that, as Disney has required people to vacate with no notice if over the limit. You can have 5 plus toddler in certain rooms at POR and CBR - they have a small pull down murphy bed.
Please don't be upset if I have the facts wrong - I just love Disney trips and want to help someone else as the rules can be tricky to learn. No need to tell me what your POFQ plans are - maybe you now have 2 or 3 rooms! Just wanted to be sure you knew the capacity limit. (And move to POR asap if you do have 5 plus toddler - those rooms sell out.)

FYI - hope you have 2 rooms booked at POFQ (from your other thread, doesn't seem you do).
You can't stay in 1 room at POFQ with 5 people plus a toddler (under age 3) - you need 2 rooms. Just want to be sure you know that, as Disney has required people to vacate with no notice if over the limit. You can have 5 plus toddler in certain rooms at POR and CBR - they have a small pull down murphy bed.
Please don't be upset if I have the facts wrong - I just love Disney trips and want to help someone else as the rules can be tricky to learn. No need to tell me what your POFQ plans are - maybe you now have 2 or 3 rooms! Just wanted to be sure you knew the capacity limit. (And move to POR asap if you do have 5 plus toddler - those rooms sell out.)

None of this is correct. I deleted that post in the hope of stopping the drama. Please do not follow me to this one with it. I have been coming to Disney since 1973.

Thank you

Perhaps you should see if you can get a site for the dates of your planned trip. If so, I agree that a little practice is probably all you need. Don't be afraid to ask someone at the campground to give you some visual assistance. There are plenty of easiser sites to back into (I'd stay away from the preferred loops).
Truthfully, if you are not confident in backing up the rig, you should probably not be considering the drive. You never know when you might be in a situation where you need to back up during your travels.

I am actually not uncomfortable with backing up the rig, it is just 1. it is new, we just upgraded and 2 the hubby usually parks it. I just wanted an idea from an informed place as to the difficulty level of setting it up in the park space. Other posters are correct. I do need to really practice with it.

Thank you for the good advice.

agree with above: lot's of folks at the Fort will help spot you...I've seen it happen so many times! have fun!

So, if you were new to this, how difficult would it be to back it in? What loops/site type should I look for simplicity? Any and all advice is welcome!Thanks

If you can get a preferred or better yet a premium site, backing will be easier. Take your time and ask a neighbor to spot you.

There is NO RUSH. Take your time. Get out and check as often as needed. There is NO RUSH!

A premium site gives you a wider approach angle and a larger site in general. More expensive, but easier to navigate.

We stayed in the 1100 loop and had plenty of room for a 30 footer and the truck. Plenty of room!

If you can drive the rig to Florida, you can do it!

My wife kept telling me there was no way she could back our 30ft trailer. After 15 minutes in the school parking lot she was able to back it into a 90 degree spot. I personally have backed trailers into spots at FW for people and I am sure one of the CM's would help you out. The sites vary in their ease and as someone said in a previous post avoid the preferred sites since they are tight, 1900 and 1400 have some tight spots.
One of the best tips I ever got years ago was to stay tight to the side of the road you are backing into. Lots of people try to back in from the middle of the lane or think they need the room on the opposite side. Staying on the side youre backing into allows more room for the tow vehicle to swing.
You should also train someone who is traveling with you to be a spotter. Agree on signals or verbal commands during practice and NEVER let a spotter stand directly behind the vehicle(s) if you cannot see them then its a full stop.

A huge part of why we stay at Ft Wilderness is the friendliness and helpfulness of your fellow campers. If others see you are having a problem you will very likely be offered help. The suggestions from others above are all good advice and worthy of consideration and turning into action IMHO

We are at Fort Wilderness now, and some of the camp sites do look a lot easier to back into than others. I know that some campers on the disboards keep track of sites they like. Maybe they can help you with specific site/loop numbers.

Lots a great advice. I wish my DW would take more interest in learning about the camper (hitching, setup, towing), but she limits herself to opening the slides and turning on the A/C. She has watched me hitch/unhitch a couple of times, but I'm not sure she would try to do it. Towing, even from a rest area on the highway to an exit ramp, are beyond anything she will consider. She will drive the truck by it self, but reluctantly.

Practice like others have suggested, but if you are given a site that you aren't comfortable trying to get into, call the front desk and let them know the number of an empty site you think is easier. They will typically switch you.

Lastly, I have backed in many people that were having problems. When I still went to a lot of races, some friends had a 44 ft MH that they were terrified to back up. He would arrive at the track, park in the middle of the lane and jump out so one of us could park it for him. Out of self interest, I have offered to back in people that were really struggling and blocking the road. I figured it is easier for me to park it for them so I can get past, than the 20 minutes of entertainment watching them try. :D

Actually, most campers are generally pretty helpful. The problem with asking someone else to park it for you is finding someone that will. The Fort can feel pretty vacant during the day with everyone at the parks.

j

Call a FW campground ranger and they’ll do it for you. We were nervous about backing ours in when we got here and that was presented as an option checking in at the gate after dark. We used our cell phones to talk to each other and backing in was fine, just take your time.

Just FYI the Rangers and any other CM can not actually back your camper in for you, they can however spot and guide you into your site. The Rangers especially are very good at helping as its a daily routine for them.

Appreciate all the good advice and helpfullness :). We currently have two rooms at POFQ but I am still trying to talk her into letting me bring the Camper. We can't do a split because her reservation is under my military discount :(

My wife was scared to death of even driving forward when we had our trailer. After about 30 minutes of practice in the mall parking lot she was able to back in between some pretty tightly placed cones. She just needed to get a little confidence and realize it’s much easier than she was making it out to be. I think you’d be fine, especially since you already feel comfortable driving it.

It took me a bit to figure it out also, and tbh i still mess it up. Im used to driving firetrucks, and while big its compleatly diffrent. I do go to an empty lot in the week before my first trip just so i remember, im not in a fire truck, lol. Also , watching a you tube vid or so on backing up helped. As said above its way easier to back it in if you pull closer to the side you pulling into.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter